Audio not playing from Recordings Screen

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 24 2017 2:24 PM

Mac OSX Yosemite, 10.10.5

Proclaim 2.10.0.0009

Noticed this Sunday, and then tried again today after the update. Open Recording for the service, clicked on Play button to listen to the audio, but no sound came out of the computer. Checked other programs, everything worked. Audio levels are set properly. Recording did take place. Just cannot play from the Recordings window to listen and do any editing before uploading.

8304.Proclaim Logs.zip

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 3187
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2017 10:24 AM

Hi Mike,

Can you take a screenshot of the recordings window and post it here?

Posts 169
Michael Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2017 11:09 AM

Our recording for this Sunday was very poor quality as well. I normally record the entire service, including the praise and worship music, but had to dump everything but the sermon this week due to the poor quality of the recording. I had assumed that it was something that I did wrong, but I hadn't changed anything since the week before when it worked very well.

I could still hear the voices on ours, but it almost covered up by a high pitched whine. It almost sounds like the feed from the board was too low, or the record levels in the Proclaim setup screen were set too low. However, nothing had changed, and the record level meter on the Proclaim setup screen showed the record level to be right where it always is.

It sounds like it actually recorded at about 1/2 of the normal level, but the record level meters looked completely normal.

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2017 6:05 AM

Here is the screenshot.

Note: I can access the recording on my windows laptop and play the audio just fine. This issue is only on our MAC.

Other programs play sound just fine. For example, notice in the screen shot that I have the audio playing (pause button is visible). I heard no sound from the MAC. However, when I took the screenshot while it was playing (without sound), I heard the shutter click that the MAC makes when taking a screenshot. So the MAC does play audio, and sound does come out of the speakers. Additionally, I can play videos in Proclaim edit and preview modes and hear them. Only from this window am I not getting any sound when playing the audio.

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 3187
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2017 9:07 AM

Hi Mike,

We share the audio settings in the recording window with that of the service item. This means if you have the audio turned way down on a service item that contains audio that will be reflected when previewing the audio in the recordings window. Can you make sure the audio is not muted in any service items that have audio, or turned down to the point where hearing it would become difficult? 

Posts 748
LogosEmployee
Jordan Sjodin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2017 2:13 PM

Michael Wright:
d up by a high pitched whine

Could you tell me the name of the presentation so I can give it a listen?

So the weird thing is before you publish the audio you are listening to the raw PCM data that we recorded. So unless the data was bad when it came in, I’m not sure where it would go awry. Once you publish, we apply all your edits and trims and then compress to an mp3.

I do see that we log out some errors when things go bad while recording. So if we failed to write some of the audio bytes to disk we should see that in the logs.

- Jordan Sjodin

Mac | iOS | Android | Windows | Web Developer 

Posts 169
Michael Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2017 5:32 PM

Jordan,

That presentation was "2017-01-22 Sunday". Please don't spend much time on this issue until I recheck everything from this end; it could easily be a hardware failure, or just a stupid error on my part. I think ground lift problems sometimes present themselves in much the same way. 

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 12:29 PM

Sorry it took a while to get back. I checked all service items for audio. There are two items with audio. They both work (I hear audio when playing them.)  

However, there is still no audio for the recordings screen. And, just a thought, it would be nice to have volume control on that screen anyway.

the presentation I have been using is our January 22, 2017 presentation.

mike

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 12:37 PM

Just checked, and this issue holds true for every presentation I checked, back to November. I know it used to work. 

AND, this is ONLY on our MAC. if I open the presentations and the recordings window on my Windows 10 laptop, all works properly.

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 748
LogosEmployee
Jordan Sjodin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2017 8:25 AM

Sorry about this Mike, we are looking into it.

Mac | iOS | Android | Windows | Web Developer 

Posts 169
Michael Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2017 9:32 AM

Jordan,

Just following up. Our recording worked perfectly this last Sunday. I think the issue I had reported earlier, the high pitched whine, was caused by a bad XLR connecting our mixer to the MacBook for recording. I switched it out and the recording turned out fine.

I know this doesn't help you figure out the other Mike's problem, but thanks for looking into it anyway. 

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 3:55 PM

Jordan Sjodin:

Sorry about this Mike, we are looking into it.

Just wondering if there is any update? Still not working on the Mac.  I have changed out slides, checked to be sure that audio is up on all items. everything plays find in preview windows. Everything plays fine in service on air. Just no sound from the media recordings window.

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 21
LogosEmployee
Ian Fisk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 5:07 PM

Hi Mike,

Adding a volume control to the sermon recordings modal is on our list of things to fix. In the meantime, the screenshot posted earlier by Tommy isn't quite right because it is the volume control for videos.

The volume on the recordings window will be dictated by the volume set strictly for audio items (since that sets the volume for the audio player). You can verify the volume for the audio player hasn't been muted by looking at a service item with background audio. If you view that service item in preview mode, you'll be able to verify the volume is not muted:

When you checked to be sure the audio is up on all items, were those only video items? Or are there some background audio items? If there are background audio items with the volume turned up, our hypothesis may be wrong.

If you still can't hear the sermon recording after checking the audio player's volume, let us know and we will keep searching for an answer. Sorry for the confusion about the volume! We'll try to add that volume control to the recordings modal soon.

Thanks!

Ian

Posts 169
Michael Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 6:02 AM

Mike,

Please pardon me if I'm butting in, but have you verified that your input signal is getting into the system by setting the input levels under settings-audio from within Proclaim? I record without any problems every week.

I use a MacBook Pro for recording without any problem. I get the input from our audio mixer via an aux out port using an XLR to USB adapter. I have to select the correct input on the MacBook from within Proclaim by going to Settings-Audio and selecting the USB input from the drop-down list. I then have to set the input level (still in Proclaim) before anything can actually be recorded. It is a delicate balance  to get the output level form the board and the input level to Proclaim at a level that produces a good sounding recording. I try to set it as high as possible, without peaking too much in the yellow. This avoids distortion while still recording loud enough so it can be heard during playback.

I did have an issue early on while attempting to record through the MacBooks 3.5mm audio port. I learned that not all MacBooks are created equal when it comes to that little audio port on the left side. Some older models are designed so you can plug in iPhone style earbuds, the type that includes the little microphone, and both talk and listen. So they allowed both audio input and audio output from that single jack. I picked up an apple adapter to enable me to plug an external mic into that port and found out quickly that the MacBook Pro Retina provides audio out only. The audio input feature is not present. This is why I had to get the XLR to USB adapter for recording from the sound board. 

I apologize if you already know all of this, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 7:58 AM

Hi Michael,

The recording is fine. I have been recording and uploading every week. 

The issue I am having is that when I open the recording after the service to change the thumbnail, and trim the audio as needed, when I hit the play button from the recordings window, there is no audio output. I can download the raw audio and hear it. I can upload it and it plays. It just does not play in the recordings window, where it is meant to play for trimming and setting the short preview audio.

Thank you for trying to help.

Mike

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 8:09 AM

Hello Ian,

I have gone through all items in the schedule for this past week. There are three items with audio. Two videos, and a motion background. Audio is up on all items.

All audio works in the service.

Recording does take place, and it is a good recording.

On our Mac that we use in the service, when I go off air, and open the recordings window, there is no audio output for me to listen and do the trimming before publishing. I have gotten around this by downloading the raw audio, and looking at the time line to find where I want to trim, and then zooming in on the audio in the recordings window of proclaim to do my trimming. 

After publishing, I can download the recording on my windows laptop. On the windows laptop, there are no issues. I can play the audio in the recordings window in the same presentation. 

I conclude that it has to be something related to the Mac. However, it is not the audio of the Mac since playing videos while in edit mode, preview mode, or on air does have audio output. It is ONLY the recordings window on the Mac that has the issue. And the issue did not start until December or January. 

Thank you for looking into this. I would love to add you to my proclaim group so you can play around with our programs and try to find the issue.

mike

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 8:11 AM

This screen shot shows last week's program, and the three items with audio. The volume is all the way up, and they do work. There is audio output when playing the videos.

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 21
LogosEmployee
Ian Fisk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 9:02 AM

Hi Mike,

I noticed that all of your service items with audio are videos, so the volume on those players is only for the video player. To verify the audio player has volume, you have to add background audio to a service item (note that this must only be audio, not video). I've attached screenshots with the steps to add audio:

Click the little speaker item to the right of the service item's title in the Order of Service

Then you'll be presented with the option to browse audio or import new audio:

After going through the steps of importing/adding audio, you'll be able to see the tracks added after clicking the little blue speaker icon:

Now you'll be able to check the volume of the audio player by going to preview mode:

I hope that helps! Unfortunately, the fact that everything works on your Windows machine and that the audio player's volume is a local preference to your computer, adding me to your presentation group wouldn't help solve this issue. Let me know if this works!

Thanks!

Ian

Posts 21
LogosEmployee
Ian Fisk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 9:07 AM

Mike,

If it's easier, we'd be happy to get you on the phone and get to the bottom of what's going on!

- Ian

Posts 169
Michael Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2017 4:40 AM

Mike,

I had another thought! After the service, when you are attempting to listen and trim using the Macbook, where is the audio output from that Mac directed? Could it be that the Mac is attempting to send the audio to a muted sound board. 

I'm just curious since we are not having this issue. But I actually unplug the Mac after service and take it home before processing the recording.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS