Dataset Updates: February 20, 2018

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1370
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 20 2018 9:33 AM

The following datasets are scheduled to be released today, February 20, 2018:

For Logos Now subscribers

• Theophanies in the Bible — God shows up in the Bible in many forms. Sometimes he manifests himself to a person physically. Sometimes he manifests himself through a vision or audibly. These manifestations are commonly refered to as Theophanies, a term which is derived from the Greek words θεός (God) and φαντάζω (to appear). In these manifestations one central part is the uncovered glory and power of God. In theophanic manifestations, God shows himself as he truly is to some degree. These manifestations are not descriptions of God, but are retellings of experiences a person or group has had of God. Theophanic instances are annotated with the following information:
    • Time: The time of the event (past, present, or future)
    • Beholder: The audience of the event
    • Agent: The person of the Trinity who makes the theophanic appearance
    • Type of Manifestation: How God manifests himself in the physical realm
    • Image of Appearance: The physical form used by God in the manifestation (if not stated, then annotated as "Unknown")
  • Theophanies in the Bible Dataset Documentation — This may ship later today, outside of the normally scheduled resource update.

Updated Datasets

• Systematic Theology Cross-References — Added one resource.
    • David K. Clark's To Know and Love God: Method for Theology
  • Biblical Theology Cross-References — Added two resources.
    • Thomas R. Schriener's Covenant and God's Purpose for the World
    • John H. Walton's Old Testament Theology for Christians: From Ancient Context to Enduring Belief
  • Phrase Concordance — corrected some labels and addressed a few typos
  • Reverse Interlinears — several reverse interlinears have been updated
    • ESV, KJV1900, NASB95, NIV2011, NKJV, NRSV

If for some reason these updates are not made available today (Tuesday, February 20) I will update this thread.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 9:39 AM

Nice! Thanks, Rick.

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 9:52 AM

Thanks, Rick! Excited to see what the Theophanies dataset can reveal.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 24252
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 10:33 AM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
Theophanies in the Bible

Excellent news Rick - I'm just working through a sermon series on "Visions of God in the Bible"!

Posts 1370
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 2:51 PM

If for some reason these updates are not made available today (Tuesday, February 20) I will update this thread.

Looks like it will be tomorrow (Wednesday, Feb 21) when these resources are made available. Thanks, all, for your patience.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 2:53 PM

Great work. Thanks Rick and team.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1370
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 20 2018 2:58 PM

Mark Smith:

Great work. Thanks Rick and team.

More team than Rick on this one. I just have the good fortune of announcing things. 

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 432
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 21 2018 5:59 AM

The example searches (in the documentation) give zero results. The search defaults to Basic; choosing Bible still gives zero results. 

Going to the example verses mentioned in the documentation and right-clicking gives zero results. 

The email address at the bottom of the documentation (data.theophanies@faithlife.com) is an undeliverable address. 

The library has finished indexing, and I've restarted Logos. What am I doing wrong?

Posts 9017
LogosEmployee

One Hope Fellowship:
The example searches (in the documentation) give zero results.

The dataset hasn't shipped yet.

Looks like it will be tomorrow (Wednesday, Feb 21) when these resources are made available. Thanks, all, for your patience.

Posts 432
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 21 2018 7:31 AM
So . . . the documentation shipped before the dataset . . . gotcha
Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 23 2018 7:58 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
The dataset hasn't shipped yet.

Now the dataset has shipped as illustrated...

But I still can't get the examples (except 1) to produce any results. See below...

I also cannot seem to find this in the Bible Browser as advertised or the context menu or information panel (I looked in places that I already knew were theophanies).

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 24252
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 23 2018 8:44 AM

James Taylor:
But I still can't get the examples (except 1) to produce any results. See below...

I get the same lack of results as you do

James Taylor:
I also cannot seem to find this in the Bible Browser as advertised or the context menu or information panel (I looked in places that I already knew were theophanies).

I do see results in the Information Panel for text containing theophanies - for example I clicked on Gen 48:3 and this is flagged as a theophany in the Information Panel in the "Other References" section

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 23 2018 10:37 AM

Graham Criddle:
I clicked on Gen 48:3 and this is flagged as a theophany in the Information Panel in the "Other References" section

EDIT: Nevermind I reset my pointer on the word appeared and it now shows the tagging

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 23 2018 10:43 AM

It's definitely odd though that by clicking on a different word "blessed" in the same verse the tagging disappears. I thought this tagging was at the verse level not at the word level

Posts 1370
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 23 2018 12:58 PM

The tagging is at the word level (so, words/phrases/clauses/etc.).

The documentation will soon be updated, but until then, instead of "Type of Manifestation" use "Manifestation", and instead of "Image of Appearance" use "Appearance".

Also, should be "<Person Jesus>", etc. (the brackets indicate a data type reference, "Person" the scheme).

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 6:07 AM

until then, instead of "Type of Manifestation" use "Manifestation"

still can't get that one to work...

Also, is there any approximate timeline on this coming to the Bible Browser? That is where I think the average user will see the power of this dataset. 

Thank you guys, I'm excited to see this feature!

Posts 1473
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 7:12 AM

Hi Rick / Bradley / others,

Can you please point me to a page that explains what datasets are, how do I use them, etc? 

The reason for asking is the transition from Logos Now to Faithlife Connect. If at some point I decide to unsubscribe, I want to maintain access to the interactive tools and other features. If I do lose access to the datasets, do I only lose the ability to do fancy searches with complex syntax (which I don't care for)? Or do I also lose the ability to use some of the interactive tools if I don't have access to the datasets?

Thanks for enlightening me,

Peter

Posts 26378
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 2:05 PM

PL:
what datasets are, how do I use them, etc

A dataset is a file that is located in your Resources folder. Datasets  facilitate classification of the text without tagging the resource e.g. one dataset will contain the location of Theophanies in the bible and/or indicate the text for each Theophany.

For bible text, datasets will have the text from a Greek bible (SBLGNT) and a Hebrew bible (LHB); which means that you need a reverse interlinear to see the affected text in an English bible. Which also explains why you might see gaps in the highlighting, where the English bible has inserted words for clarity in the translation.

PL:
If at some point I decide to unsubscribe, I want to maintain access to the interactive tools and other features. If I do lose access to the datasets, do I only lose the ability to do fancy searches with complex syntax (which I don't care for)? Or do I also lose the ability to use some of the interactive tools if I don't have access to the datasets?

If you unsubscribe you lose access to Interactives and Datasets unless you own a Feature Set (look for Interactive Media and Datasets).  If you are interested in Interactives you will also get their associated datasets + datasets that are used only in a (fancy) Search.

Note: some datasets also facilitate Visual Filters e.g. Speaker labels and Addressee labels depend on one dataset (Reported Speech), Discourse features need the Greek and Hebrew Discourse datasets.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26378
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 2:12 PM

PL:
  how do I use them, etc

Individual datasets are documented; look for type:manual in Library. For some datasets also look at type:Glossary.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19022
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 9:11 PM

James Taylor:

until then, instead of "Type of Manifestation" use "Manifestation"

still can't get that one to work...

Documentation update also needs "Physical Appearance" instead of "Physical Manifestation"

{Label Theophany WHERE Manifestation ~ "Physical Appearance"}

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS