Reading whole books on screen - do you?

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 97
Andreas Holmberg | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 9 2010 12:43 PM

I'm amazed at the number of books available in Logos. I have the basic Scholar's library and have bought some additional 150 books or so. However, I rarely read whole books on-screen. I find myself primarily using Logos as a study tool mostly using Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries and encyclopedias but not really using the monographs very much.What are your experiences?

There are some excellent resources that I consider buying such as the Christian Origins and the Question of God Series by N.T. Wright. I've also preordered the 5-volume Raymond Brown collection. I've eyed the Anchor Yale Bible Reference Library with the excellent books by John P. Meier.

BUT my question is: do you people really find yourself reading whole books in Logos? I mean from page one to the last page? Or do you mainly use monographs for reference and to search as part of collections?

I use a nice tablet pc (Dell Latitude XT2) and occasionally take it to the armchair and read a book in Logos using portrait mode and doing highlighting and writing notes using the tablet pen. However I don't find this as comfortable and intuitive as reading a normal book on paper and doing manual highlighting and scribbling notes in the margins. What are your experiences?

I'm a bit hesitant to buy big into resources that I in the end may not read because they tie me to the computer. I know I can read them on iphone and ipad but until the app does highlighting and notes it's not an option to me.

It would be very interesting to hear what others experiences are of reading whole books (or at least large chunks of) in Logos.

I appreciate any comments or input.

Andreas

Pastor in Stockholm, Church of Sweden

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 12:56 PM

Great question! One of my greatest frustrations regarding Logos is my inability (note that I said my and not Logos) to read a book completely on my computer. I have the Portfolio package and part of my rationale in purchasing was I would commit to do more reading. However, I still cannot seem to get comfortable with reading on my laptop or desktop. There are instances when I'll read something on my iPod Touch, but I'd hesitate to read an entire book on that because of the small screen size. 

I'm actively in the market for an iPad and the main reason is for me to have access to my Logos library in an environment that will, hopefully, be more conducive to reading. My library contains a lot of great books and i would love to read them. It's going to take more commitment on my part and, hopefully, additional technology might be able to help in this effort. 

By the way, a few months ago, someone posted something about software that changes the font used on a website. Although I'm probably not explaining it correctly, all I know is that the font type used made the presentation of the material easier to read. The appearance was closer to what you'd find in a book and the poster was suggesting that, perhaps, Logos might incorporate this technology as it would make reading our Logos books much easier. If I can remember the post, I'll make sure to send the link to you.

Blessings!

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 2704
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 1:04 PM

Andreas Holmberg:
do you people really find yourself reading whole books in Logos?

yes

Andreas Holmberg:
I mean from page one to the last page?

Since we got the reading planner able to do monographs, I am now reading cover to cover in Logos, I did not in v3

However it will take me all the rest of my life to read all I currently have and wish to add.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 1:06 PM

DominicM:
Since we got the reading planner able to do monographs

Dominic,

What's the reading planner? Okay, I know I'm the slow one in the group!

Thanks!

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 1:09 PM

Andreas Holmberg:
do you people really find yourself reading whole books in Logos?

No. I use Logos, as I always have, as a study tool. Someday, when I can afford it, I'll get an iPad and I shall read whole books then. 

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 2704
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 1:14 PM

Just to clarify, I use my netbook for reading..

in v4

Choose New > Reading Plan

Choose your book>and other settings and it will split the book into the specified chunks

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 1:20 PM

Yes, I do read on the screen from cover to cover, but I rather use iPhone for that purpose. I use also voice reading to read books. I wish iPhone/iPad Logos would support that feature. I am looking forward to have an iPad sometimes, especially if the iPad Logos would work with notes and highlighting and of course voice reading. I have to admit reading on a notebook is not easy and natural. iPad (and other similar devices) IMHO should solve that problem.

Bohuslav

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 1:38 PM

Andreas Holmberg:
BUT my question is: do you people really find yourself reading whole books in Logos?

Yes. The reason for this is not so much choice, but here in West Africa it is the easiest way for me to have a library of books with me to read. It is not ideal though and I am very interested in getting an iPad. I will probably wait until the second generation is out though.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 2:08 PM

Read whole books on screen or printed = seldom, but read gobs of pages from wide variety of books and web sites on screen = Yes.  Looking forward to purchasing an iPad to read book and web pages.

Noticed Apple planning to ship iPad's to 9 countries on May 28, followed by 9 more in July:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/05/07ipad.html

Also noticing availability delays - demand currently exceeding supply:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/05/06/apple_stores_completely_sold_out_of_ipad_3g_furnish_waiting_lists.html

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 2:54 PM

I do all my reading on my laptops, if at all possible, the little 10 inch screen was the best, but it got ran over by a car, I have a 13 inch that works great and is the one I use for as much of my reading is possible.  I have a 15 in and 17 in laptop too, I don't like reading on them if I can avoid it, the smaller laptops are so much nicer!

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 5:00 PM

Yes I read entire books. One problem I used to have was headaches from screen flicker. Cheaper monitors and monitors at low refresh rates flicker (even if you cannot detect it) and that flicker leads to headaches.  Make sure that your ambient light does not produce glare and use a good monitor (in my case the iMAC 27" is great).  The MBP I use when off-site is not nearly as good as the iMAC and a motion tablet I got years ago is terrible.  YMMV.

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Posts 717
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 6:05 PM

I have never read books on Logos. It annoys me to no end.

Until the mobile app came out, that is.

Now am reading books that I have had for years and really enjoying them. I do pretty much zero study on the mobile, only reading books.

What I really wish is that I could make a collection of "reading" books and have that collection show up on my mobile. I know how to make the collection, but I don't know how to access collections on the app.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 6:30 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Yes, I do read on the screen from cover to cover ... I am looking forward to have an iPad sometimes, especially if the iPad Logos would work with notes and highlighting ...

Ditto!...amen!

The mind can only absorb what the butt can endure; sitting for long spells reading at my computer causes eyestrain and backaches.  Would love to move to a comfy chair instead, using the lightest device that will get the job done.  Doc told me to take quick breaks from screen reading every 20 min after I had trouble focusing one morning...my reading has diminished quite a bit since then.

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 7:41 PM

I have started reading my first book cover to cover on Logos, and have been enjoying it. I'm about 50 pages in so far, and I've been using highlighting extensively. I must say, though, doing it on my laptop when I'm somewhere away from Internet access is much easier. I can sit in a more relaxed reading position, and I don't have distractions, so I actually get some reading done!

Posts 584
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 7:55 PM

Ward Walker:

The mind can only absorb what the butt can endure; sitting for long spells reading at my computer causes eyestrain and backaches.  Would love to move to a comfy chair instead, using the lightest device that will get the job done.  Doc told me to take quick breaks from screen reading every 20 min after I had trouble focusing one morning...my reading has diminished quite a bit since then.

I spend an hour a day reading Logos on my treadmill. Here's my setup:

I have a board across the treadmill arms, and a tv tray on top of the board. I put my laptop on top of the tv tray, and away I go.

So far I've completed 23 books cover to cover in Logos.

Posts 1663
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 7:55 PM

Yes: I have started to read whole books through on screen.

The NT Wright series is a good example. I'm taking it slowly, as you have to digest him, so I'm currently only 150 pages into NT and People of God. Nevertheless, I'd have to say this is the best foundation for theology I've ever read anywhere (except the Bible itself.)

FWIW, I use a 17" notebook, highlight heavily, make notes about key phrases ideas, and use the Information window to auto-lookup words I'm not familiar with. I save layouts for different tasks, so I can instantly return to my NT Wright layout and resume, whether at home, work, or waiting somewhere.

In the last few months, I've read several books through on screen, as well as using Logos for the research approach where it shines.

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 8:55 PM

Pam Larson:

I spend an hour a day reading Logos on my treadmill. Here's my setup:.... 

Great Idea!  However, try as I may, I can't seem to get my comfy chair to balance properly on the treadmill ... Wink

Posts 111
Keith Gant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 9:13 PM

You might want to read some of the discussion on this link.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/15986/121255.aspx#121255
 (corrected link)

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 10:00 PM

Pam Larson:

I spend an hour a day reading Logos on my treadmill. Here's my setup:.... 

Awesome! Now that might be some motivation for me to actually use my treadmill! Can you actually still get a pretty good workout while going slowly enough to be able to read? I've been able to do it with a paperback book, but then the book would bounce up and down with me as I ran, so it worked OK. Not so with a laptop on a TV tray...

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 10:11 PM

Rosie Perera:
Can you actually still get a pretty good workout while going slowly enough to be able to read?

Perhaps this is a good time to incorporate the "Read Aloud" function? Smile

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS