Reading whole books on screen - do you?

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 10:28 PM

This is a problem for me. Reading cover to cover on a computer screen is not comfortable. I am currently reading a book on a reading plan, but it truly isn't an awesome experience. I drag myself through it because I like to learn. I use Logos 4 mainly for study. For this purpose it is excellent.

I am looking into buying an iPad because of the Logos App. I've seen it in action and I am impressed. I'll be able to get comfortable in my Lazy Boy and read as if I have a book in my hand.

Posts 18724
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 11:50 PM

Jonathan Sine:

Rosie Perera:
Can you actually still get a pretty good workout while going slowly enough to be able to read?

Perhaps this is a good time to incorporate the "Read Aloud" function?

Yeah, I might do that if they had a "Highlight by Voice Command" function. Smile

Posts 578
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 12:55 AM

Rosie Perera:

Pam Larson:

I spend an hour a day reading Logos on my treadmill. Here's my setup:.... 

Awesome! Now that might be some motivation for me to actually use my treadmill! Can you actually still get a pretty good workout while going slowly enough to be able to read? I've been able to do it with a paperback book, but then the book would bounce up and down with me as I ran, so it worked OK. Not so with a laptop on a TV tray...

I'm not a runner - my normal treadmill speed when reading a physical book is around 3.5-3.8. With Logos I can walk at about 3.3 mph, so it's a little slower.  But I figure it's better than just sitting on my butt.  Stick out tongue

Posts 128
Simon Pleasants | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 2:56 AM

I'm currently reading through Reymond's New Systematic Theology using a six-month reading plan (it works out to about five pages per day). I find that Logos really comes into it's own for reading books containing lots of references to the Bible. I used to find it very time-consuming to look all the references. Now, I just hover over references with with the cursor.

I'm used to reading material on the computer as I do it everyday in my job as a scientific proofreader.

"Upon a life I did not live, Upon a death I did not die, Another's life, another's death, I stake my whole eternity"

Horatius Bonar

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 5:43 AM

A major factor for easy reading is column width. Try 2 to 4 inches. Our eyes have trouble scanning back to the next line. The narrow width will help your eyes find the start of the next line. Also adjust the the type size. Play with these to variables until it is easy to read. I find changing the  resource panel background color to paper helps. (It is under Tools, Program Settings.)

I sometimes turn on the read aloud feature. You will probably want to purchase a quality reading voice to replace the operating system default. I will listen to books while doing robot like tasks such as dusting my physical bookshelves. If I hear something I want to highlight or note, then I stop the reader, make my annotations, start the reader, and go back into robot mode. I do this for what I call "couch potato" books.

Posts 225
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 6:16 AM

I have started to read L4 books, but only on the iPad.  It's much easier to sit in a chair and read like I do with paper books.  It annoys me that I cannot take notes or highlight when I read on the iPad, hopefully that will come soon.  

I just don't like sitting in front of the computer screen and reading, that has never been enjoyable to me, so the only time I have done that is when I am reading for a certain topic.

Posts 291
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 7:19 AM

I do read complete books on my laptop, parked in my little Ikea recliner with my feet up on the ottoman.  When I find a book I want to read that way I tag it so it shows up in my To Read collection.  When I start on it I set up a reading plan for a few pages a day.  When I'm done I change the tag to know I have completed it and check my list to see what I want next.  I mostly read for pleasure and personal growth.  I was highlighting but I enjoy it more and actually get more out of it when I just read through.  It's easy enough to search if I ever need to find a point again.

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 2827
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 8:04 AM

Absolutely not.  However, I might on a Kindle or iPad.  That is a very promising possibility.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 9:42 AM

Rosie Perera:
Yeah, I might do that if they had a "Highlight by Voice Command" function.

Strangely, I didn't see that on the "Features Coming Soon to Logos!" Big Smile

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 9:43 AM

Kaye Anderson:
When I find a book I want to read that way I tag it so it shows up in my To Read collection.  When I start on it I set up a reading plan for a few pages a day.  When I'm done I change the tag to know I have completed it and check my list to see what I want next.

I wasn't smart enough to think of this! Great idea!

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 18724
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 9:33 PM

Jonathan Sine:

Kaye Anderson:
When I find a book I want to read that way I tag it so it shows up in my To Read collection.  When I start on it I set up a reading plan for a few pages a day.  When I'm done I change the tag to know I have completed it and check my list to see what I want next.

I use three different tags (got the idea from someone else on the forum): TOREAD, READING, and FINISHED (I use FINISHED instead of READ [past tense] so that a library search for it won't also find the other two).

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 10:20 PM

Rosie Perera:
Yeah, I might do that if they had a "Highlight by Voice Command" function. Smile

Actually, it might be interesting to see what kinds of things will become possible once we get the basic API for Logos4.0d and later.

I'm hoping we can control some of the page-up/page-down/next hightlght/next verse from search/ etc stuff. Once we have that kind of thing, it might be possible to automate all kinds of useful things.

Maybe a button "Read John and write me an outline" Smile

Posts 690
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 11 2010 6:35 AM

Rosie Perera:

Jonathan Sine:

Kaye Anderson:

I use three different tags (got the idea from someone else on the forum): TOREAD, READING, and FINISHED (I use FINISHED instead of READ [past tense] so that a library search for it won't also find the other two).

Rosie -

Great idea! Now if I can only get that to show up on the iPhone, I will be a happy camper.

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 11 2010 8:22 AM

Rosie Perera:

Now that's great idea. Thank you Rosie for sharing that. I hope you will not mind if I use it. In my READING tag will be quite a number of books (10 - 15) Embarrassed Some of them will never get to the FINISHED tag, but it looks that is the way to sort it out properly. Thanks again.

Bohuslav

Posts 2419
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 3:26 AM

I have read several books in Logos 3 (and do not see any problem in doing so in 4)

I set the book up as a workspace

I would resave the workspace so that next time it would open where I left off.

(Yes, I know that 4 can also do that)

And as others have said – keep the line length short (half screen – about 4 inches)

And LARGE PRINT size (14 points or so)

Note that my laptop has a NON REFLECTIVE screen. 

Re IPhone – very readable but way too small for my eyesight

Re IPad – No money

For notes I use my word processor – coping text from the book and adding “MY Notes: ” as needed.

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 4:34 AM

David Ames:

And as others have said – keep the line length short (half screen – about 4 inches)

And LARGE PRINT size (14 points or so)

This is a good combination. It also helps to keep the column long. Look at the layout of a high quality newspaper. These newspapers are designed for speed reading.

Scroll with the PgUp button not the mouse! This is equivalent to turning a page.

Reading speed, ease, and comprehension are inversely proportional, by some sort of a power function, to the number of eye movements needed to read a passage. Also with less eye movement you can easily progress to reading thoughts or even concepts instead of words. When you read at the thought or concept level you  read at several thousand words per minute.

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 10:28 AM

Rosie Perera:
I must say, though, doing it on my laptop when I'm somewhere away from Internet access is much easier.

Over the years I have come to appreciate the value of a proper ergonomic chair and  desk. (both of mine adjust in hight etc, so I get thinks just right. )  ALso note the comment on the monitor above.  The one I use (30" Apple) is actually more comfortable (for me at least)  to read than an actual book. 

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Posts 343

I now do on the iPad!  And it works great!  Even though it's still a computer like "screen," there is something totally different in holding an iPad to read books, than to sit at a normal computer/laptop to read.  iPad highly suggested if you want to read books cover to cover.

Jason Saling

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS