Liturgy of the Hours/Breviary for Verbum??

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 26752
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2019 8:56 PM

Eduardo Espiritu:
Licensing the current 4 volume translation, not to mention adding links and electronic bookmarks just doesn't make business sense. It may be replace real soon, now.

Often it is important to have old versions for historical comparisons and to fill-in the gaps for resources created when the version was the mandated version.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 53
Patrick Fleischmann | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 6:56 AM

While I greatly respect your opinions on matters such as these, I can tell you that based on what we've already been told regarding the expense to FL to "verbumize" the LOTH what you're suggesting here is simply not going to happen.  I have no doubt what you're saying about having old versions is true.  But the simple answer is we already have the old version - on paper and digitally in Universalis.  Given the expense, we'll still be LUCKY if FL actually "verbumizes" the NEW LOTH.  Just forget the existing one ever getting that treatment now.  Cue the first President George Bush "NOT GONNA HAPPEN"

Posts 315
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 9:27 AM

MJ. Smith:

Eduardo Espiritu:
Licensing the current 4 volume translation, not to mention adding links and electronic bookmarks just doesn't make business sense. It may be replace real soon, now.

Often it is important to have old versions for historical comparisons and to fill-in the gaps for resources created when the version was the mandated version.

Perhaps I’m mistaken, but I expect that permissions for the old LOTH will be removed when the new edition comes out, similar to what happened to the NAB when the NABRE came out. If that’s the case, it’s probably not worth it to FL to make an electronic version of the current one.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong though. iBreviary works for now, but I’d rather have LOTH get the Verbum treatment.

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Ordinariate. Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 166
LogosEmployee
Craig St. Clair (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 11:14 AM

I am in the process of working out the licensing for both the current and future LOTH editions.  It is worthwhile for Verbum to have both the current and future editions.

The LOTH isn't as simple as "licensing a book."  The four-volume LOTH is a patchwork of several different licensing agreements with different rights holders.  We've managed to work out licensing for some, but not all--and the outstanding agreements are in progress right now.

Once the licensing is secured will begin development work.

Stay tuned....

Craig St. Clair | Verbum Product Manager |

Posts 315
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 11:15 AM

I stand corrected then. Good to know youre working on this 👍

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Ordinariate. Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 160
Manuel Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 11:27 AM

That's great news!

It sounds quite strange that LOTH is licensed at all.

Is there any chance to have it in Spanish too?

Thanks!

Posts 53
Patrick Fleischmann | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 11:32 AM

Well, I stand corrected.  Happily corrected I might add.  Sometimes you guys completely surprise me (sometimes good and sometimes bad LOL)

Posts 315
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 11:35 AM

Manuel Maria:

That's great news!

It sounds quite strange that LOTH is licensed at all.

Is there any chance to have it in Spanish too?

Thanks!

if I remember rightly, the Church requires some things to be licensed to ensure that there are no unauthorized changes to the text. As for Spanish, that’s probably a different license under a different bishops conference. (I recall that the English version is for US/UK.

Posts 160
Manuel Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 11:40 AM

David Wanat:

if I remember rightly, the Church requires some things to be licensed to ensure that there are no unauthorized changes to the text

But according to Craig there are different right holders. And I think any bishop could stamp his 'nihil obstat' without any further licensing.

Posts 315
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 11:56 AM

Manuel Maria:

David Wanat:

if I remember rightly, the Church requires some things to be licensed to ensure that there are no unauthorized changes to the text

But according to Craig there are different right holders. And I think any bishop could stamp his 'nihil obstat' without any further licensing.

ok, I’m not an expert here, but this is my understanding: The bishops conferences and the ICEL approve the permissions for official use in a country. This is what I was referring to. There are other rightsholders for song lyrics, translations, more modern writings for the Second Reading of the Office of Readings, the Scripture translations, etc. For translation outside of English, I imagine these would have different rightsholders and a whole new set of issues.

if I’m mistaken, hopefully someone here will correct me.

Posts 160
Manuel Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 12:01 PM

Regarding Scripture translations, I hope the resource links to our favourite bible, just like the daily readings.

Posts 315
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2019 12:04 PM

Manuel Maria:

Regarding Scripture translations, I hope the resource links to our favourite bible, just like the daily readings.

I’d be very surprised if that happens. As I understand it, it’s like the Lectionary. The reading is what’s been approved for liturgical use. 

Again, not an expert here. I could be wrong. 

Posts 3084
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2019 6:59 AM

David Wanat:
Manuel Maria:
I’d be very surprised if that happens. As I understand it, it’s like the Lectionary. The reading is what’s been approved for liturgical use. 

Again, not an expert here. I could be wrong.

David, you are correct.

Posts 160
Manuel Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 29 2019 7:48 AM

Craig St. Clair (Faithlife):

I am in the process of working out the licensing for both the current and future LOTH editions.  It is worthwhile for Verbum to have both the current and future editions.

The LOTH isn't as simple as "licensing a book."  The four-volume LOTH is a patchwork of several different licensing agreements with different rights holders.  We've managed to work out licensing for some, but not all--and the outstanding agreements are in progress right now.

Once the licensing is secured will begin development work.

Stay tuned....

Any advance on this, Craig?

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS