William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 1:36 PM

Hi Bill,

FYI ... new Surface GO device.

Surface Go for Business
256GB / Intel 4415Y / 8GB RAM / LTE

Posts 85
William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 2:21 PM

Hi Bill,

I really appreciate your understanding of working with windows devices and small form factor tablets.  I agree with your assesment of the issues for Logos desktop users.  For me, as a large library user, the issues come down to touch interface deficiencies and hard drive space available.

Logos is working on a near future update to address the drive space issue and I'm really looking forward to it (see: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/174565/1008655.aspx#1008655).  The long running touch interface issues (see: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/173860/1008614.aspx#1008614) are very disappointing to me and IMO are a missed opportunity for FL to shine with the L8 desktop release.  Hopefully they will see this opportunity for windows touch devices and fix the issues in the near futuure.

In the meantime Microsoft just released a new model of the Surface GO for business that hits the sweet spot IMO of the small form factor windows tablets for running L8 desktop with a large library while being highly portable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-go-for-business/909wr0x3sgfk/0028?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

Surface Go for Business
256GB / Intel 4415Y / 8GB RAM / LTE

It is a little pricey but for those of us who can use the drive space a great option.

Thanks again for your insight and this post Bill.  Much appreciated.

William

Posts 85
William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 2:46 PM

Bill Anderson:
Since I previously opined on the tablet mode issue, I'll give a couple of opinions on your other issues. Regarding the size of the SSD, I have a 128GB SSD in my Surface Go. My library is double yours in size. Aside from Logos, I just have the Microsoft Office apps installed and I have around 50GB remaining. I figure I will be fine with this.

Agreed. It could be a factor if you see this as a laptop replacement running a myriad of other applications. However, for myself the small form factor device has become my de facto Bible that I carry with me wherever I go. It has a single purpose for bible study, reading and sharing with whomever I am with.  I don't run any other apps but with a 256 GB device I have plenty of space to store my library and MS Office.

Bill Anderson:
Regarding the amount of RAM, 8GB will be fine. I have seen Logos with 8GB RAM run on both the new Surface Pro 6 as well as older models and I have always been more than satisfied with the speed. You already know Logos is resource intensive. The first time launch of Logos on my Surface Go takes about 35 seconds, the pro less than that. Once the program is up and running, I have been pleased with the performance on my Surface Go. With a Surface Pro, it is even better. Fortunately, all of the new Surface Pros come with 8GB, so you won't ever need to experience anything less.

Agreed. In my experience 8 GB is more than adequate unless you are running many applications at the same time. But for Logos only use it works great.

In the end it comes down to what you expect out the small form factor.

Posts 85
William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 5:37 PM

Sorry for all of the extra posts everyone.  I was getting errors trying to post with images and I assumed the posts did not go through.  Got that worked out now with Graham Criddle's help. Smile

Posts 771
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 6:29 PM

William,

When I purchased my Go (right at launch), I couldn't get the 256MB Go. That would be sweet. But, I have managed with my 128GB SSD given that all I really use Logos, take notes in meetings at work in OneNote, use Word and Excel, and browse the web. Battery life is a limitation of the Go, but I bought a big power bank to charge the Go when I am away from an outlet.

We've been asking for tablet UI changes to the desktop app for years, going way back to when a number of us were running Logos on 8-inch Windows tablets. 

Posts 85
William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 7:50 PM

Yes, the 128 GB drive is more than adequate as long as the size of your library is not a problem.  My library will no longer fit on a 128 GB drive when indexing takes place so the 256 GB will help me out until FL comes out with their solution for optionally downloading resources.

Thanks again for your input Bill.  Glad you're enjoying running Logos desktop on your Surface GO.

Posts 21
David McCulloch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2018 7:06 AM

What are the most important changes -- to either Logos or Windows -- that would make Logos into a tablet-friendly product?

Posts 771
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2018 7:35 AM

David McCulloch:

What are the most important changes -- to either Logos or Windows -- that would make Logos into a tablet-friendly product?

Here's a few to start:

1. Make it friendly with Windows tablet mode (as previously discussed)

2. Make all the controls in the Logos desktop app bigger so that you can manipulate them with your finger (today you have to use the stylus/pen unless you increase the scaling of the app to make everything larger)

3. Implement the selective sync feature they are working on right now (to allow you to download some, but not all, resources on to your tablet)

4. Allow highlighting with your finger (today you have to use your stylus/pen)

Posts 85
William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2018 8:06 AM

Bill Anderson:

David McCulloch:

Here's a few to start:

1. Make it friendly with Windows tablet mode (as previously discussed)

2. Make all the controls in the Logos desktop app bigger so that you can manipulate them with your finger (today you have to use the stylus/pen unless you increase the scaling of the app to make everything larger)

3. Implement the selective sync feature they are working on right now (to allow you to download some, but not all, resources on to your tablet)

4. Allow highlighting with your finger (today you have to use your stylus/pen)

I agree with Bill's list and would add one more.

5. Consistent touch input throughout the desktop app.  Mainly being able to scroll from any panel with my finger.  Currently touch scrolling works in some panels but not others.

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS