Search Examples for Search Query Builder

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 2810
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2019 7:14 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Please share you real-world examples (and ideally why you're trying to find what you're looking for).

I can manage basic (not "Basic") searches, often with a little help from the good folks here on the forums. Where I struggle with constructing them often relates to compound searches, such as...

...finding all the times (mostly imperatives, but not all) God says to "remember" (positive side) or "don't forget" (negative side) [Bible search].

...finding all the idioms for (X) [Bible search].

...finding discussions of certain theological terms (these sometimes not found in the theology index thingy) in the context of (X) [Basic search].

...any complex morph or syntax search at all.

(I realize these aren't high-end searches, but I suspect most of the frustration with the search engine comes from lower-end users, not power users.)

You mention other discussions on the forums...I don't have the time to go digging because I didn't tag most of these, but it would be worth your time to have someone go digging because there are quite a number of good discussions on how to do a specific search for which a good answer was never found. It seems I see these on the forums on a weekly basis.

HTH.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 92
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2019 8:13 AM

The ability to search for all the cities in the book of Acts or all the kings in the book of Daniel.

All the women in the bible.  This shows up in the concordance but not in the Bible search.

This would include the ability to search all kind, subkind and role categories.    I think Mark was asking for a similar ability.

Posts 92
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2019 8:19 AM

I would like to see the ability to search for headwords in BDAG.  

Posts 17899
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2019 9:52 AM

John Brumett:

I would like to see the ability to search for headwords in BDAG.  

Please elaborate on BDAG headword search desire.

{Headword g:logos

offers many Greek words, but not know how many of them have Headword entries: e.g. fourth one has no Headword results in my Library, while the first two find many Headword entries:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24835
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2019 2:34 PM

Chris Lane:

Though you can search for multiple lemmas, correct?

Yes.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 8 2019 4:51 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
I understand that you might also have a goal be to add more apparently user-friendly "paradigm-based searches", and some work has been done on that already. While this can be helpful, in the long-term, I am convinced that if you begin by focusing on the basic building blocks of search, and making them as friendly and powerful as possible, that will allow you to easily build out, in a second moment, an extremely powerful and friendly question & answer search query builder. I'm not convinced doing it the other way around will work... and I fear doing so will actually be counter productive long term, as it will not really address the basic problem. 

Yes 1:1 query builder please! Anything else will likely miss both power users (not flexible enough) and average users (no way to cover all possible needs). With a 1:1, we can later add parameterization and grouping to make higher level components to share for the type of searches that are being asked for in this thread. The nature of the question in this thread terrifies me that you might be heading in the other direction.

Posts 88
T. L. Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2019 7:54 AM

One of the searches that I've never been able to figure out is how to find every instance of prepositions in relation to Christ, Jesus, etc.  E.G. "in Christ, unto Christ, with Christ"

Thanks Phil!

Posts 17899
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2019 4:56 PM

T. L. Brown:
One of the searches that I've never been able to figure out is how to find every instance of prepositions in relation to Christ, Jesus, etc.  E.G. "in Christ, unto Christ, with Christ"

Morph search can find a preposition @p in close proximity to Christ

@p BEFORE 3 WORDS root:Χριστος

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1080
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 7:28 AM

YES! This is the one and only let down I had with Logos 8. I had hoped this type of search capability mentioned above by Devin and Randy would be introduced in v.8. Instead of focusing on different search paradigms, I'd like to see a query or search wizard so I can built my own search paradigms. If not, users would still be limited to the the search models available when they don't know how to how to search otherwise. A drag and drop query builder would be nice.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 322
PJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 10:30 AM

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2019 10:50 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

We're doing some product design work on a possible search query builder, and we're looking for lots of real world examples that you'd want a search query builder to make easy to build and find.

Is there something you'd like to be able to find in Logos but aren't sure how to find it—or would just like to make finding it a lot easier?

Please share you real-world examples (and ideally why you're trying to find what you're looking for). If there's already a discussion here on the forums or elsewhere, please link to it.

Thanks!

Just seeing this, but I'll contribute for sure!  This makes me do the happy dance!!! 

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS