Logos World Cup fans

Page 1 of 4 (76 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 75 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 14 2010 1:30 PM

Quiet today on the forums...

Time for a bit of fun for us soccer fans!

Best team so far? Who's going to win it all? Has anyone found a way to use Logos 4 to exegete the World Cup and predict who will win?

Posts 26376
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 4:03 PM

I doubt it will be Australia, unfortunately. I did research this prediction:

France and Germany, two; Italy, one; Australia, one; and Spain, one.
Jones, G. C. (1986). 1000 illustrations for preaching and teaching (369).Smile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 4:23 PM

Francis:
Who's going to win it all?

How about USA?    Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 9:28 PM

I'd have to agree with you Dave that the socceroos' hope are pretty slim as are those of the US (their tie against England was generous). As for France, I wished, but let's be realistic, their chemistry is well...

Anyway, so far the team I'm the most impressed with is actually Italy. In spite of the generous tie for Paraguay (a team that was not ridiculous at all) I was impressed by the engagement and the technical prowess of the Italians. I know Germany had a good result but it was against a weaker opponent.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2010 9:21 AM

BRAZIL all the way.  They will play a plodding, unexciting game but prevail in the end.  SPAIN a close second, but they'll run out of steam before the end.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 26376
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2010 7:08 PM

Alex Scott:

BRAZIL all the way.  They will play a plodding, unexciting game but prevail in the end.  SPAIN a close second, but they'll run out of steam before the end.

I'm undecided - need to see Brazil and Spain to see how they compare but the first round matches so far have been cautious/unconvincing.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2010 7:22 PM

I am not much of a sports fan. Certainly not a FIFA fan.

But I am going with the Ivory Coast team.Cool

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2010 9:03 PM

The Ivorians were better than Portugal in their first game, but if they don't put more application in the finish, it won't help them much. Good action development in the middle, but too much waste in the last pass.

Posts 26376
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 2:53 AM

Matthew C Jones:
But I am going with the Ivory Coast team.

That's a reasonable pick at this stage as they looked to have something in reserve against Ronaldo and company (Portugal). But Brazil looms!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 544
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 4:35 AM

England's my team... because Canada has a knack for not getting there! Wink Sigh.

I'm also into the underdogs, especially the African teams, who have certainly played well so far, no matter what happens.

I think that the divide has definitely shrunk over the years... soccer levels in the smaller markets have really improved.

Except in Canada! apparently. Wink

I still can't believe Ronaldo got a yellow card yesterday... and for once, he had actually been FOULED! Big Smile

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 5:17 AM

Francis:
the socceroos' hope are pretty slim as are those of the US

. . . don't put those two on the same level.  Australia were robbed 4 years ago by Italy (how they ever won the WC, idk), but this year they are pitiful.  The US are not pitiful (they were 4 years ago).

Spain has the best and most exciting team, to be sure, but they always choke in the WC, and this year will be no different. (hope that doesn't come back to bite me!). 

Brazil has the strength and self belief to win it all, even if they are not playing joga bonita.

For my money, it is Germany.  Until the game against Australia, they seemed to be flying under the radar.  "Ballack is hurt" everybody said.  NOW people are saying "Ballack WHO?"  I agree, Francis, the Socceroos are weak and old (and not wise for their years, either), but Germany looked very creative, precise, strong, and are young and brash enough to not know they are not supposed to win. 

US make it to quarter finals.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 9:52 AM

Dan DeVilder:
For my money, it is Germany.

What about Italy? I am surprised that commentators and most people are not more impressed with their opening game. Sure, it was a tie with not as many goals as Germany, but Germany played a much weaker opponent defensively than Paraguay. Paraguay I found to be unintimidated and solid for the best part of the game. But what really impressed me from Italy was the energy they put into the game. They wanted it. They really hustled. Technically, I found them very solid as well. I am curious to see how both Germany and Italy will develop in their next game.

Posts 26376
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 8:15 PM

Dave Hooton:

Alex Scott:

I'm undecided - need to see Brazil and Spain to see how they compare but the first round matches so far have been cautious/unconvincing.

Looks like Spain already ran out of steam. Brazil are looking good!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 8:29 PM

Dave Hooton:
Looks like Spain already ran out of steam. Brazil are looking good!

Yeah - that was a bit a surprise wasn't it?!  Of course, where they go from here is still up for grabs - perhaps that loss will sharpen then up.  Perhaps that late goal against Brazil will wake them up too - good job it wasn't 1-0 at the time.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 10:31 PM

Matthew C Jones:

I am not much of a sports fan. Certainly not a FIFA fan.

But I am going with the Ivory Coast team.Cool

Cheer up, it will soon be time for some smash-mouth football.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5160
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 4:13 AM

Should all  this not be built into some sort of extension for the Prayer List?    Embarrassed

However it should be limited to Competitions with 'World' in the title and where more than three countries are represented.

tootle pip

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 5:42 AM

Makes one think: What does God do when each team prays for the win?

(I have seen a tiny portion of one game so far. I "missed" most of it as I was mucking around with Logos4 and stuff here on the forums)

Posts 691
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 6:13 AM

So has anyone decided to use the World Cup for an outreach opportunity? I have been tossing it out with some of our big FIFA fans and we may look at trying to set something up for the Final...

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 9:20 AM

Frank Sauer:

So has anyone decided to use the World Cup for an outreach opportunity? I have been tossing it out with some of our big FIFA fans and we may look at trying to set something up for the Final...

'I don't know if that is a safe idea Frank.
Religious fervor can get pretty heated sometimes.
The Crusades
The Spanish Inquisition
Calvin/Arminius
Catholic/Protestant
KJV/?
FIFA ...............

Could you handle the subsequent riot?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 10:05 AM

Francis:

Dan DeVilder:
For my money, it is Germany.

What about Italy?

you can never count them out, too be sure.  But i think they are too old to get through the whole tournament.  Still mystifies me how they won 06 (besides a gift against Australia to move on) Wink   To be honest, I didn't get to see their opening game.  But there are a million US fans who are just slightly smug that Rossi didn't make the Azzurri for the WC . . . Devil.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 1 of 4 (76 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS