Important Message about Promotional Time Changes

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 176
LogosEmployee
Daniel Motley (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 30 2020 1:22 PM

Hello,

My name is Daniel Motley and I am the team lead for the Live Products team here at Faithlife. 

I wanted to make you aware of a major change beginning February 1st regarding the timeline for all promotions (with some exceptions). Starting February 1st, virtually all promotions will no longer go live at midnight PST on the day that they are scheduled to begin, but will instead begin at 10 AM PST. This represents a ten hour shift forward for nearly all promotions.

Q. Why are you doing this?

A. Midnight launches cause unnecessary strain and have led to errors that could have been avoided during the course of a normal work day. This also allows our hard working teams a good night’s sleep :)

Q. Does this mean that there will be no promotions for ten hours on February 1?

A. Nope! It just means that any promotions that end February 1 (like January monthly sale) will be stretched ten hours until 10 AM PST. Enjoy living in the past for a short time!

Q. You said this affects “virtually all promotions”. Which ones will it not affect?

A. This will not affect promotions that have been traditionally time sensitive (like Black Friday/Cyber Monday).

Our goal is to serve you all in the best way we can. We’ve found that midnight launches more often than not lead to errors that do not allow us to put our best foot forward. Our hope is that this change will make a big difference.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I’ll be happy to answer!

Product Manager, Faithlife

Posts 6854
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2020 3:00 PM

Will this affect the Free Book of the Month? Meaning, will we have to wait until 10 pm PST on the 1st of every month to get it?

DAL

Posts 1670
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2020 3:05 PM

DAL:
will we have to wait until 10 pm PST

...10 AM...

Posts 176
LogosEmployee
Daniel Motley (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2020 3:09 PM

DAL:

Will this affect the Free Book of the Month? Meaning, will we have to wait until 10 pm PST on the 1st of every month to get it?

DAL

DAL, yes this will also affect Free Book of the Month.

Edit: However, February's Free Book of the Month will be uniquely affected in that January's Free Book of the Month will disappear at midnight because of prior agreements with the publisher. So this time, there will be a 10 hour gap between the end of January Free Book of the Month and February Free Book of the Month. In March, February's Free Book will disappear at March 1 at 10 AM PST, and March's Free Book will appear then.

Posts 560
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2020 4:10 PM

So We who are in Australia and elsewhere now have to wait till 2 February for the Free Book Yes Current System was nice for me as it came out at 4pm in the afternoon - gave me a good window to check out the free and new stuff before calling it quits in the office for the day.

Joy of a global market Big Smile

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 1036
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2020 4:20 PM

How will this effect publisher's sales of ebooks? Will they still run until midnight of the end date or 10am the next day? When will they start?

Posts 2466
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2020 4:41 PM

Glenn Crouch:

So We who are in Australia and elsewhere now have to wait till 2 February for the Free Book Yes Current System was nice for me as it came out at 4pm in the afternoon - gave me a good window to check out the free and new stuff before calling it quits in the office for the day.

Joy of a global market Big Smile

You don't like to stay up late in anticipation of free booksBig SmileWink

(I'm quite sure a lot of our American friends used to stay up until midnight to be among the first to grab the free books of the month.)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 6854
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2020 4:45 PM

Thank you, Daniel for the explanation 👍😁👌

Posts 28116
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2020 5:42 PM

Tom Reynolds:

How will this effect publisher's sales of ebooks? Will they still run until midnight of the end date or 10am the next day? When will they start?

I don’t think those would change. In many cases the sales are automated. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1734
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2020 6:22 PM

Maybe this resulted from the big Baker book bundle botch last month when (apparently) some number of earlier time zone customers got potentially 1300+ books at $0.00. That had to have been painful for Faithlife.

Posts 1036
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2020 9:23 PM

Robert M. Warren:

Maybe this resulted from the big Baker book bundle botch last month when (apparently) some number of earlier time zone customers got potentially 1300+ books at $0.00. That had to have been painful for Faithlife.

It's painful to hear I missed out Devil

Posts 176
LogosEmployee
Daniel Motley (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 31 2020 1:38 PM

JT (alabama24):

Tom Reynolds:

I don’t think those would change. In many cases the sales are automated. 

This is correct, Ebooks will continue to begin promotions at midnight because of publisher considerations.

Posts 32
LogosEmployee
Natalie Winburn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2020 9:42 AM

Daniel Motley (Faithlife):
Starting February 1st, virtually all promotions will no longer go live at midnight PST on the day that they are scheduled to begin, but will instead begin at 10 AM PST.

I just want to help bring some more clarity around this new update. Starting today, Feb. 1, 2020, the following promotions are launching at 10:00 AM PST: 

• Free Book of the Month
  • Publisher Spotlight
  • Monthly Sale
  • Faithlife Connect Monthly Updates* 

Also, starting in Feb. the following promotions will launch mid-month (at 10:00 AM PST): 

• Author Spotlight
  • Topic Spotlight 

* The Faithlife Connect monthly updates will all happen at 10:00 AM PST along with other monthly promotion updates. This includes: 

Posts 9146
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2020 6:54 PM

Thanks for explaining this. It totally makes sense to do this in order not to put such a strain of the Faithlife staff team. I commend you for this move.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 749
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 16 2020 10:20 AM

Natalie Winburn:

Also, starting in Feb. the following promotions will launch mid-month (at 10:00 AM PST): 

• Author Spotlight
  • Topic Spotlight 

Was Feb. mid-month the 14th or 15th?Wink

Posts 1109
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 16 2020 10:51 AM

Dale E Heath:

Natalie Winburn:

• Author Spotlight
  • Topic Spotlight 

It always was a bit vague, wasn't it?  I'm guessing they'll appear tomorrow - maybe after 10am PST.

Posts 2466
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 16 2020 12:40 PM

Dale E Heath:

Technically, any day between Feb 2 and 28.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1109
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 17 2020 11:11 AM

It's now "officially" mid-month - well at least in Bellingham.

Posts 1109
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 16 2020 11:04 AM

Natalie Winburn:

Daniel Motley (Faithlife):
Starting February 1st, virtually all promotions will no longer go live at midnight PST on the day that they are scheduled to begin, but will instead begin at 10 AM PST.

I just want to help bring some more clarity around this new update. Starting today, Feb. 1, 2020, the following promotions are launching at 10:00 AM PST: 

• Free Book of the Month
  • Publisher Spotlight
  • Monthly Sale
  • Faithlife Connect Monthly Updates* 

• Author Spotlight
  • Topic Spotlight 

* The Faithlife Connect monthly updates will all happen at 10:00 AM PST along with other monthly promotion updates. This includes: 

I was expecting today, especially as it's also the start of a new week, to be "mid-month" when the new author of the month and topic of the month deals went live.

Posts 160
LogosEmployee
Kaleb Cuevas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 16 2020 12:54 PM

Paul Caneparo:

I was expecting today, especially as it's also the start of a new week, to be "mid-month" when the new author of the month and topic of the month deals went live.

Please see this post for a new update: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/188957.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS