Best device to just read a book

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 28560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 12 2020 5:21 PM

Greg Rose:

I'm computer illiterate when it comes to devices like kindle and paperwhite. When you say you would use the Paperwhite for reading, do you mean reading your resources from Logos, i.e. book resources in Logos.  Is there a Logos App that works with the Paperwhite? When you talk about "conversion is no longer as simple as "send to Kindle" are you meaning that a Logos resource needs to somehow be converted before it can be loaded onto a Paperwhite and read? Thanks!

i think your questions have been answered, but the classic “kindle” was an “ e-ink” reader. It isn’t a screen like a smartphone or tablet. Part of the confusion is that Amazon seemingly names everything “kindle.” If they made a car, they would call it a “kindle car.” [:D{

A “paper white“ is a newer, mid level, kindle”e-ink” reader. They make cheaper ones and more expensive ones, but the Paper white is the sweet spot. 

Logos used to have a “send to kindle” feature, but for various reasons had to remove it. It isn’t hard to get books to a kindle, but any notes or highlights would be just as far outside of logos as if you were to physically print the book and use a yellow highlighter on paper. Hence the answer was “just for reading”

there are a few “e-ink” Android devices, but not many. Those would be a hybrid between a tablet with apps and an “e-ink” screen. Personally, I would still prefer the paper white for “just reading”. If I needed to read long passages and highlight? Perhaps another story. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 18900
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 12 2020 9:06 PM

Depends on where I'm sitting. If I'm at home sitting upright, I prefer my Android tablet. If I'm out and about somewhere (e.g., in a doctor's waiting room) or lying down (on couch or bed), I prefer to read on my phone. And for simple reading (not study) I usually prefer the Kindle app, not Logos. The latter is too slow and it doesn't have most of the books I simply want to read. I have to buy them from Amazon.

Posts 3953
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 13 2020 5:57 PM

I use whatever's handy. Sometimes even a physical copy!

JT (alabama24):
Part of the confusion is that Amazon seemingly names everything “kindle.” If they made a car, they would call it a “kindle car.” [:D{

Well, it would have a screen.

Posts 28560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 13 2020 7:33 PM

Yes it would! Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10
Peter Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2020 11:47 AM

Mark, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Surface Go 2.

Would agree with your first recommendation of a Boox 2 for 'just reading' - have one and love it!

But I think the Surface Go 2 would be a nice addition to my Surface Pro 7 when I want to be out of the study but using the full desktop functionality. I don't like the SP7 as a tablet - too scared of damaging it as it's my main machine!

Presume you have the Core M3 version - I previously had a Core M3 Surface Pro which would not have coped well with Logos (though that one only had 4GB ram versus 8). How compromised is it?

Many thanks

Posts 427
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2020 12:48 PM

Peter,

Before the Surface Go 2, I had the original Surface Go.  Mine had the Pentium Gold processor with 8gb of RAM and a 128gb SSD.  That Go could handle about two-thirds of what I wanted to do in Logos well enough.  However, ask it to load a layout, do serious indexing or an involved word search, and be prepared to wait a while.  The Surface Go 2, with the Core M3 processor, is a definite step up in terms of performance.  It's not only the processor.  The Go 2 has a much faster SSD than the original Go did.  The Go 2 will still hesitate before loading a layout or anything at that level, but it is much less compromised than the original Go as far as Logos is concerned.  The display is slightly larger and slightly improved as well.  

As long as you don't expect the Go 2 to match your SP 7, it won't disappoint you.  It should work fine for the scenario you envision.  

The only negative for me with the Go - and this would be true of the Surface Pro line as well - is that I like working with a laptop... well, on my lap.  The stand behind the Go (or Pro) can be uncomfortable, as you would know, unless you have something thick covering your thighs!  Brydge is coming out with a keyboard for the Go/Go 2 which will address that issue.  

If I did not have an iPad and an iPhone - and thus see the advantage of also having a Mac - then the Go 2 could easily become my only laptop/PC.  Logos is the most demanding software I run on it, and it can handle everything else easily enough!

Posts 10
Peter Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2020 2:36 PM

Many thanks Mark, that's really helpful Yes

Posts 1483
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2020 10:13 AM

Well... looks like I'm really going to be the outlier on the bell curve of user opinions/experiences, but here goes.

I do agree that for just reading, a paper-white/e-ink type of device is probably the easiest on the eyes and if it's a newer version device, it probably has an acceptable refresh rate.  And if you're often on the road/traveling when reading, a tablet size device will be the easiest to carry.  So those are definitely two advantages to many of the devices mentioned so far.

But for me, the vast majority of my time with Logos is spent at home, so I don't need the level of portability that someone might want if traveling.  The device I find myself choosing almost all the time is a fairly compact 15" laptop with a 4K anti-glare screen.  I find the combination of the 4K resolution with the antiglare screen to actually be pretty easy on the eyes.  I also find this smallish laptop to be very adequate portability wise for around the house, for a weekend get-away at a B&B, or even for a week at a rental lake cabin, while at the same time, giving me very adequate service if I happen to find my "just reading" intention, drifting over into some very light research or study.

Definitely not the most common/popular solution, but I find it very functional.  It is nice to have so many device options.  Smile

Posts 11190
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2020 10:34 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
Well... looks like I'm really going to be the outlier on the bell curve of user opinions/experiences

But you bring up a good point:

Rick Ausdahl:
drifting over into some very light research or study.

I've found the best solution is to glue my paperwhite onto my portable's screen. No monograph worth its salt, can escape a rabbit-trail!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1483
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2020 6:31 PM

YesWinkYes

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS