Page 12 of 13 (252 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next >
This post has 251 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 19160
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2021 6:10 PM

John W Gillis:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
For grins, ...

Friend, looking closely at your screenshot, you appear to have Strong's numbers in green text, TWOT in orange test, and G?K in red text. I'm guessing you do this using Visual Filters, but cannot figure out how you accomplished it. Would you mind sharing?

Thankful for Faithlife enabling sharing of user documents Big Smile so in Feb 2012 Lexicon Links visual filter was published to Logos Visual Filters group so followers could freely copy into their own documents (and modify as desired)

Logos Wiki Extended Tips for Highlighting and Visual Filters includes:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 68
John W Gillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2021 3:50 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Lexicon Links visual filter

Thanks!

Posts 16
JLH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2021 3:35 PM

I still do not have my Baker new testament commentary. This was one of my favorite commentaries in Wordsearch

Posts 1489
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2021 4:13 PM

JLH:

I still do not have my Baker new testament commentary. This was one of my favorite commentaries in Wordsearch

These are available to you. I recommend you opening your library and using the following search:

series:"New Testament Commentary"

From there you can do a faceted search by series. One of the options will be "New Testament Commentary".

I believe these titles were later re-branded as "Baker New Testament Commentary" which is probably why you were having issues finding it.

Posts 7
AJ Kerezy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2021 4:08 PM

Excuse Me -----  this is MEANINGLESS

Telling me that a book is now in an "Available" status in Logos, but it doesn't function in the exact same way it did in Wordsearch = LIE.

In Wordsearch a book was indexed to/with the Bible. When I changed chapter and verses in any of the Bible Windows, the book in question also changed chapter and verse right along with it.

Is it TOO MUCH to expect the same functionality?   No, not at all.  In fact you somewhat promised it. But you LIED.

Here we are MONTHS later, and you've done NOTHING. Making a book that used to function and was indexed with the Bible >>>> into  pdf or eBook is WORTHLESS. Do you understand worthless?

I will be telling all of my brothers/sisters on FB, and other social media platforms about your DECEPTIVE practices.

Posts 4468
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2021 4:15 PM

AJ Kerezy:

Telling me that a book is now in an "Available" status in Logos, but it doesn't function in the exact same way it did in Wordsearch = LIE.

In Wordsearch a book was indexed to/with the Bible. When I changed chapter and verses in any of the Bible Windows, the book in question also changed chapter and verse right along with it.

Is it TOO MUCH to expect the same functionality?   No, not at all.  In fact you somewhat promised it. But you LIED.

Here we are MONTHS later, and you've done NOTHING. Making a book that used to function and was indexed with the Bible >>>> into  pdf or eBook is WORTHLESS. Do you understand worthless?

I will be telling all of my brothers/sisters on FB, and other social media platforms about your DECEPTIVE practices.

Instead of throwing insults and being mean maybe you should try reading this forum a bit.  FL has said numerous times they are getting the books into the system as fast as they can as ebooks and will then convert to the regular books over time. They are doing this for free for you. If you cannot be patient go back to WS and continue to use your books there. Come back in 6 months and hopefully fixed by then. PATIENCE

Posts 303
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2021 4:25 PM

AJ Kerezy:

Faithlife has been very upfront about the process involved to bring 1000s of resources over to the Logos platform. Try reading before throwing out your slanderous accusations and spreading them to your brothers and sisters. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to switch to Faithlife and you still have access to those resources via the WORDsearch program that is still operational. 

Posts 7
AJ Kerezy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2021 4:47 PM

If you tell me I have a car that's "AVAILABLE" out in my driveway.......but then I find it has no engine; well you can call that being upfront if you want...........         I'm sorry brother, that's just an out and out LIE

.We should be held to higher standards of honesty. Not deceptive words.

We're going on SIX MONTHS to get this stuff indexed and TRULY AVAILABLE and functioning as it did in the old software. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do this. It does take resources.

I'm honestly skeptical that Logos has any GENUINE INTENTION of making these books function like they did in Wordsearch. That's SAD.  It's SAD when they pump time and resources into other changes in their software, but leave their WS customers behind. That's what I expect from the world; from my cable provider, from the car dealer, from the _____________.

If they have no intention on fully indexing each every book that was fully indexed in Wordsearch - then they should be HONEST about it, and quit LYING and calling it "AVAILABLE".

An non-indexed Bible Commentary is about as worthless as a _________________________. Let's quit LYING and calling something that's NOT functional "AVAILABLE" to make their job sound done and to make themselves sound good.   This web page is deceptive at best, and an out and out LIE at worst:    https://www.logos.com/wordsearch/library-migration

Posts 19160
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2021 5:57 PM

AJ Kerezy:

Curious which Wordsearch book(s) are the most desired to be transformed from eBook into Logos Research Edition ? (includes Bible Milestones for linked scrolling)

Noticed lack of your replies in thread started on 26 Oct 2020 => Which new Wordsearch resources would you like to see first? (help Faithlife prioritize which resources be converted into Logos Research Edition sooner rather than later)

Note: looking at Wordsearch catalog => https://www.logos.com/wordsearch/catalog shows many Available as Logos Research Edition. Also noticed a significant number of Available as eBook: e.g. Strong's Talking Hebrew and Greek Dictionary (whose eBook conversion left out Talking while Logos & Verbum applications have lemma audio pronunciations, but not embedded in a single resource).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19160
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2021 6:45 PM

AJ Kerezy:
An non-indexed Bible Commentary is about as worthless as a _________________________. Let's quit LYING and calling something that's NOT functional "AVAILABLE" to make their job sound done and to make themselves sound good.   This web page is deceptive at best, and an out and out LIE at worst:    https://www.logos.com/wordsearch/library-migration

Description reminds me of a printed "Word Pictures in the Greek New Testament" that did not have Book, Chapter, and Verse on the printed pages so the printed book was Available for me to read & use, but was quite challenging to use for looking up comments about word usage in non-sequential verse order (similar to Available as Ebook that has text available for reading, but frustratingly difficult to jump between non-sequential verses). Manually adding Bible indexing information to every page took many hours over numerous days. Sometimes needed to correct my manual index marking Stick out tongue

A possibility for Available Ebook usage is searching for Bible reference: e.g. <Mt7.12>

Thankful for Bible Book Abbreviations of two/three characters for every Bible Book, which is helpful for navigation & searching.

Implied in idea 'An non-indexed Bible Commentary is about as worthless as a _________________________. ' is intense desire for quality Bible Milestone indexing so navigating to Philippians 4:4 goes to desired commentary text (instead of James 1:19). Thread => American Standard Version 1901 - Personal Bible without Chapter and Verse #'s included three revisions of Bible Indexing in the New Testament. Quality checking of my efforts found Stick out tongue that needed correction. Thankful for Faithlife resource creation having quality checks with corrections before public release. Caveat is time needed to quality check Bible Milestones, ... especially in Bible Commentary resources for the whole Bible as various Books have some Milestone quirks: e.g. Jude does not have chapter numbering.

AJ Kerezy:
I'm honestly skeptical that Logos has any GENUINE INTENTION of making these books function like they did in Wordsearch. That's SAD.  It's SAD when they pump time and resources into other changes in their software, but leave their WS customers behind.

Disagree while humanly not knowing how long for high quality conversion completion from eBook to Logos Research Edition. FWIW: a number of Logos & Verbum customers are also anxiously waiting for Logos Research Edition conversion completion plus hoping for Wordsearch Library Expansion bundles, which can give wallets reason to cry Crying

Thankful for Community Pricing => https://www.logos.com/search?sort=bestselling&pageSize=60&unlocked=yes&sortBy=Progress&limit=60&page=1&filters=status-communitypricing_Status&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=all  where user community bids on resources to be created. Once enough users have collectively bid enough to cover 100 % of estimated resource creation cost, bidding closes so resource becomes a pre-publication (lowest bid amount for 100% cost coverage becomes pre-order price for all bidders, who had bid that amount or higher). When resource ships, the pre-order amount is charged. My library includes many titles from successful community pricing bids, which has had varying lengths of time between bid closing and resource shipping (so am disappointed, but not surprised about length of time for Logos Research Edition conversions).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 354
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2021 6:50 PM

AJ Kerezy:

.We should be held to higher standards of honesty. Not deceptive words.

We're going on SIX MONTHS to get this stuff indexed and TRULY AVAILABLE and functioning as it did in the old software. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do this. It does take resources.

I'm honestly skeptical that Logos has any GENUINE INTENTION of making these books function like they did in Wordsearch. That's SAD.  It's SAD when they pump time and resources into other changes in their software, but leave their WS customers behind. That's what I expect from the world; from my cable provider, from the car dealer, from the _____________.

ible Commentary is about as worthless as a _________________________. Let's quit LYING and calling something that's NOT functional "AVAILABLE" to make their job sound done and to make themselves sound good.   This web page is deceptive at best, and an out and out LIE at worst:    https://www.logos.com/wordsearch/library-migration

Personally, I find your post offensive. Being mean and yelling at people never helps. I understand your frustration (maybe) as I am in the same boat as you are.  I still run WS software and Logos software to do my studying etc. But at least I have access to all my books so far!  And I suggest you do to. 

When I first came to Logos, I was frustrated and upset as I see you are. But I don't think, being abusive and unkind is any way to treat Logos people or anyone that is trying to help you.  I am a Christian first, as I hope you are and with that it's not about what they do, it is entirely about what I do and how I act! Period.

I do not have the right to "brow beat" people or to be unkind to people or to be mean to people, simply because, I am a Christian. 

I believe also, that you are wrong about Logos. I think they are working on transitioning all WS libraries into Logos as license's allow. I do see my WS library being transitioned into Logos USABLE books. I understand this to be a multi step process (and I don't know all the processes) but ebooks are a step in that process. I understand also that we just came through all the "year end holidays" when people want to be off work and spending time with their families and I am sure some of the employees of Logos did just that. Vacation and holidays will slow down any project.... that is a given.  Logos could hire more people.... and charge us more... but maybe a bit of patience on our part may help to keep prices down... 

And last something my wife says to me often.... "you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar". I suggest you think on those words as I often do myself. And remember....  being kind never hurts but someone being mean and unkind can be remembered a long long time.  There is always a kind way to get your point across.

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 5248
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2021 12:29 AM

Greetings AJ

AJ Kerezy:

I am not sure which part of this rather long thread your response refers to.

However, if it does refer to the posts immediately in front of your heavily emphasised rant then you perhaps need to reread what is written there.

The Baker New Testament Commentaries are available and fully functioning in Logos. It looks as if the title may be different but the work is there.

If this set is not functioning as it should for you I am sure that somebody here will work with you to figure out why.

On the other hand, if your frustration is with the speed of Faithlife's resource conversions we need to ask again, Why are you using Logos at all. I will predict that your requirement That...

AJ Kerezy:
function in the exact same way it did in Wordsearch

will never come to pass. Indeed for this to be the case, you will need to stick with the Wordsearch program and just take care not to damage it.

Of course, when you do need the facilities of Logos, both the company and the volunteer helpers on this forum will stand ready to assist you in getting the most from your resources. However, those resources will, unfortunately for you 'function in the exact same way' as they do in Logos.

In the meantime, you will probably be less frustrated if you stick with Wordsearch, (which I understand is still functioning as well as it ever did) and keep your frustration mininimised.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 1489
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2021 10:38 AM

AJ Kerezy:

I'm sorry that the conversion process is taking longer than you or we hoped.

For titles that we didn't carry we've been actively making them available in the Logos platform and improving their functionality and continue to do so. On February 16, we pushed out/updated over 200 titles and we're gearing up for another batch on March 3. In the last three days we've prepped 34 titles and that number will continue to grow over the next 12 days. As of this morning we have over 900 titles that are either in the process of being upgraded from ePubs into Logos Research editions. Most of these are your commentaries, Bibles, encyclopedias, etc.

When it comes to resources starting as ePubs, I'll quote my co-worker Bradley mentioned earlier:

"We thought this would be helpful for all migrating customers, but we've since learnt that some customers like having an interim ebook version available, and some very much do not. Given that we already published the Ebook version, we don't plan on taking it away, but will leave it available until the Logos Edition is ready.

It sounds like you understand how an "Ebook" functions (or doesn't function, rather) in Logos. If you don't like that, I suggest periodically checking your personal migration page at https://www.logos.com/wordsearch/library-migration and not switching to Logos until the word "Ebook" no longer appears there.

We should also be emailing batches of customers when the conversion is finished and their library is complete, so you could also wait until that email is sent out and the resources are in their final state before trying Logos again. (Note that some resources will remain as Ebooks--we're not promising to convert everything--but the important commentaries and other reference works will get upgraded to Logos editions.)"

Posts 6
David King | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2021 9:10 AM

Thanks Bradley,

In Wordsearch I had the "Strong's Talking Hebrew Greek Dictionary" It shows that it is available and I have it open in Logos. However, in Wordsearch you could click a speaker icon and it would audible pronounce the word, hence the title talking dictionary. Also, in Wordsearch it would have a link to the Vine's Word if it existed in the Vine's dictionary. I used this on a weekly basis in my sermon prep. When will this capability be available in Logos?

Thanks again,

David 

Posts 9063
LogosEmployee

David King:
When will this capability be available in Logos?

I don't have a date, but we're actively working on converting it.

Posts 6
David King | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2021 10:17 AM

Bradley,

My KJV version Bible in Wordsearch includes topic headings in sections telling you what the following verses will be covering. It also include chapter headings and clearly shows when you transition to the next chapter. I have looked through all my KJV Bibles in Logos and they do not section headings and Chapter change clarity (i.e. "Chapter 2"). They just scroll from one chapter to the next with no delineations at all. Do you know when the Wordsearch KJV Bible will be available in Logos. I think I'm going to really like Logos. I'm just going to need to get all my books in place so I can start using it.

Posts 19160
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2021 11:19 AM

David King:

... in Wordsearch you could click a speaker icon and it would audible pronounce the word, hence the title talking dictionary. Also, in Wordsearch it would have a link to the Vine's Word if it existed in the Vine's dictionary. I used this on a weekly basis in my sermon prep. When will this capability be available in Logos?

Welcome Big Smile

Thread => click on word to pronounce it includes screen shots showing Right Click => Pronounce & Lookup: Vine's can be one of the five Lookup choices, depending on resource prioritization. Thread => searching strong's numbers includes screen shots of Library prioritization so five lexicons appear for Original Language Lemma lookup and five different lexicons for Strong's number lookup. Logos Bible Software uses Original Language Lemma as the primary connector, which is useful in extra-biblical resources that have Lemma's not assigned a Strong's number since was not used in Bible. 

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 136
Mark Johns | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2021 2:39 AM

Any idea when "Treasures of the Bible" Commentaries by Mattoon might be available?
I have been using them for several years with WORDSearch.  Do you think I will be able
to access it sometime soon or later this year?

Just wondering.....

Mark Johns
http://djmarko53.wixsite.com/churchbooks

Posts 5248
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2021 6:19 AM

Mark Johns:
Any idea when "Treasures of the Bible" Commentaries by Mattoon might be available?

Looks hopeful

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 19160
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2021 5:08 PM

David King:
My KJV version Bible in Wordsearch includes topic headings in sections telling you what the following verses will be covering.

Tools => Passage Analysis => Compare Pericopes in my library currently has 21 Pericope Sets with descriptive Psalm Pericopes: (none for KJV)

FYI: updated thread => Bug 8.15 Beta 1 Passage Analysis letter wrapping

CBD has a 1611 facsimile print edition that shows an outline of some verse(s) at the beginning of each chapter, which is different than pericope: e.g. Genesis III

• 1 The serpent deceiueth Eve. 6 Mans shameful fall. 9 God arraigneth them. 14 The serpent is cursed. 15 The promised Seed. 16 The punishment of Mankind. 21 Their first clothing. 22 Their casting out of Paradise.

David King:
It also include chapter headings and clearly shows when you transition to the next chapter.

Workaround idea is linking Lexham English Bible (LEB) with KJV as LEB has Pericopes: (Non-Bible text can be displayed when Chapter & Verse numbers are not shown)

Bible resource Locator Bar shows current Book and Chapter number. Right Click on a Bible word shows Chapter & Verse #'s. LEB is a formal equivalence (literal) translation style, same as KJV, but did not need to keep Bishop's Bible wording when practical so LEB has modern English 'you' usage (does not distinguish singular 'you': thee, thine, thou, thy and plural 'you': ye as KJV does).

Screen shot shows KJV using Multiview Resources || with Geneva Bible Notes (freely included in Logos 9 Basic) while Multiview Resources feature is included in Logos 9 Fundamentals that allows a commentary to follow Bible text while avoiding link set navigation surprises when commentary does not have every Bible verse. Geneva Bible Notes include Chapter header (so scrolling in linked Bibles causes Notes Chapter header to scroll too).

Caveat about chapter and verse numbering is lack of correspondence with original language discourse boundaries: e.g. Paul wrote some long Greek sentences that have many verse numbers like Ephesians 1:3-14, Colossians 1:9-20, Philippians 2:5-11, 1 Thessalonians 2:1-12 (conversely a number of numbered verses have more than one Greek sentence: OpenText.org shows a number of numbered verses having four Greek sentences: e.g. John 1:20, Galatians 3:28 while 1 Thessalonians 5:14 has five principal clauses and John 1:28 has eight principle clauses). Original language writings do not have chapter & verse numbering (was added in the 1500's for use with concordance word lookup).

Dreaming of Logos Pericope Set with Reverse Interlinear being added to The New Cambridge Paragraph Bible with the Apocrypha, rev. ed. (NCPB) so Please Vote => Please add Logos Pericope Set with Reverse Interlinears to NCPB

Logos Blog => You’ve Probably Never Seen the Real King James Version

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 12 of 13 (252 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > | RSS