Logos 9

Page 2 of 5 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 96 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2020 3:30 PM

I just want it to ship... when its ready. A mature product. :)

They can take all the time they need as far as I'm concerned.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1812
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2020 3:36 PM

David Thomas:
so you're saying Faithlife will make it available as soon as Q-Anon can get the repaired laptop out of Joe Biden's basement and both the CDC and Dr. Fauci verify it's authenticity?

Bingo!

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 5495
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2020 6:03 PM

abondservant:

When had FL ever shipped a mature new release? I’d be happy to wait another 6 months if it meant getting a product that was ready for release unlike Logos 8 which was a product full of holes.

Posts 887
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2020 7:03 PM

Weren’t they all buggy in some way or another on launch?

DIsciple II:

abondservant:

When had FL ever shipped a mature new release? I’d be happy to wait another 6 months if it meant getting a product that was ready for release unlike Logos 8 which was a product full of holes.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Diamond

Posts 2605
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2020 7:46 PM

Nobody ships flawless anything. Logos 9 will stand on five generations of development since L4, so it should be pretty awesome out of the gate.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 5495
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2020 8:02 PM

mab:

Nobody ships flawless anything. Logos 9 will stand on five generations of development since L4, so it should be pretty awesome out of the gate.

Logos 8 was awful at release. It didn‘t stand on the previous generations of development in many aspects because they revamped it so much and released it with serious flaws in the home page and notes.

Posts 819
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 7:14 AM

My guess is L9 will not ship until well into 2021 in order to (1) allow the dust to settle from the WS acquisition and (2) give all of the new WS customers a chance to familiarize themselves with the FL/Logos environment/interface before they get hit with a new version.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 1318
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 8:17 AM

Robert M. Warren:

David Wanat:
We're going to build a new Logos, and Accordance is going to pay for it!

It's an absolute, undisputed, airtight-evidence certainty that if Logos 9 doesn't ship Monday, the Russians interfered. And it will take 2 1/2 years and $50 million to prove, we think.

I think if L9 doesnt release on Monday, the DOJ should appoint a Special Counsel to investigate why the Russians are interfering in the release, because it will then be apparent that they are. And the Senate should subpoena Bob, as the leader of Bible Big Tech, to testify under oath as to when the release date will actually be and why he's shadow banning the release from us! Wink

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 2047
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 8:40 AM

All the speculation around Logos 9, reminds me of this preschool joke I hear at our churches preschool program:

Q: Why is 8 afraid of 7?

A: because seven ate (eight) nine

Posts 1318
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 8:40 AM

DIsciple II:

mab:

Logos 8 was awful at release. It didn‘t stand on the previous generations of development in many aspects because they revamped it so much and released it with serious flaws in the home page and notes.

Completely disagree! Sure, L8 had its issues. But it was by far their best advancement as far as features and GUI are concerned, IMO. Faithlife really upped the game with this release, even with the issues. The release was bold, visionary, and demonstrated well that FL wasn't programming under a rock, but rather listening to their users and making the best advancements to meet user needs as resources would allow.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 6683
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 8:44 AM

Myke Harbuck:
I think if L9 doesnt release on Monday, the DOJ should appoint a Special Counsel to investigate why the Russians are interfering in the release, because it will then be apparent that they are. And the Senate should subpoena Bob, as the leader of Bible Big Tech, to testify under oath as to when the release date will actually be and why he's shadow banning the release from us! Wink

Thanks for the smile 

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 9:10 AM

DIsciple II:

Logos 4, particularly for Mac, was a rodeo that has never been matched. That said, Logos has generally exercised a Release Early, Release Often RORO software development philosophy.

The way around this is to wait at least a few weeks and watch the forums to find out if there are any major issues. Sometimes I will wait for several updates or even longer before upgrading which means enjoying the benefit of letting others debug the software the first number of weeks or months before you jump in.

Posts 3920
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 9:29 AM

Lynden Williams:
Thanks for the smile 

I’ve smiled in response to certain posts, yet I’ve also cringed at how easy it is for us to generalize and stereotype.

Perhaps these are the only safe, wholesome, worthy, edifying, uplifting statements we could complete:

• God is ____________.
  • Jesus is ____________.

Other ”__________ is/are __________.” views may be controversial, prejudicial, or biased, when it comes to specific nationalities, religions, ethnicities, political parties, forms of government, etc. Should we really be perpetuating those types of views?

It’s nice to look forward to Logos 9, but we definitely seem to sink when we take our eyes off of Jesus.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 30151
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 12:07 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:
The way around this is to wait at least a few weeks and watch the forums to find out if there are any major issues.

But that destroys the opportunities for temper tantrums ... shouldn't I get to exercise my inner toddler?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2047
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 1:27 PM

MJ. Smith:

Donovan R. Palmer:
The way around this is to wait at least a few weeks and watch the forums to find out if there are any major issues.

But that destroys the opportunities for temper tantrums ... shouldn't I get to exercise my inner toddler?

RELEASE THE KRAKEN. Liam Neeson facial hair beard phenomenon

Posts 5495
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 2:34 PM

You are referring to direction, vision & strategy. I am referring to how well that was executed and the readiness of the software. it was not ready and the marketing around it was misleading as promised were made about what was being delivered in the initial release that did not line up with what was delivered. Not only that a senior employee at FL made promises to me about what was being delivered up front with notes and what was delivered was not even close to the mark of his claims. I don’t  think it’s unreasonable to expect a business serving the church and Christian community to drop all the secular marketing techniques and speak the truth.

Let’s hope marketing and developers get on the same page for Logos 9 and communicate the truth of what is customers are getting up front versus what the hole deliver for 9.5 or 9.8 etc but alas FL‘s track record on this does not leave me with a lot of confidence. 

Myke Harbuck:

DIsciple II:

mab:

Completely disagree! Sure, L8 had its issues. But it was by far their best advancement as far as features and GUI are concerned, IMO. Faithlife really upped the game with this release, even with the issues. The release was bold, visionary, and demonstrated well that FL wasn't programming under a rock, but rather listening to their users and making the best advancements to meet user needs as resources would allow.

Posts 5495
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 3:15 PM

I tend to wait to Donovan with most software but with Logos after a new release you basically can’t add any purchases post that point in time to your library because they say you need the latest software release for that book to function and so you get forced into upgrading or not having the book you want for months while Logos developers fix all the stuff you that got broken in the upgrade after they add in all the stuff marketing said was going to be in there at initial releas.

Donovan R. Palmer:

DIsciple II:

Logos 4, particularly for Mac, was a rodeo that has never been matched. That said, Logos has generally exercised a Release Early, Release Often RORO software development philosophy.

The way around this is to wait at least a few weeks and watch the forums to find out if there are any major issues. Sometimes I will wait for several updates or even longer before upgrading which means enjoying the benefit of letting others debug the software the first number of weeks or months before you jump in.

Posts 2359
LogosEmployee

DIsciple II:
but with Logos after a new release you basically can’t add any purchases post that point in time to your library because they say you need the latest software release for that book to function and so you get forced into upgrading or not having the book you want for months

All supported versions of the software are updated to support newly published books. This includes (after a major release) the prior version of the software for quite some time after the release.

Logos 8 was released around Oct 29, 2018. Logos 7 remained supported until May 28, 2019, which means that until that date, lack of support for a new resource in Logos 7 would have been considered a bug to be fixed with an additional release.

For example, the release notes for Logos 7.19 SR-1 (released on May 16, 2019) indicate "added support for new resource types": https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_7.19_SR-1 Likewise for 7.18 SR-1.

Posts 11315
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 3:51 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
Logos 8 was released around Oct 29, 2018. Logos 7 remained supported until May 28, 2019, which means that until that date, lack of support for a new resource in Logos 7 would have been considered a bug to be fixed with an additional release.

That's interesting. My El Seven's final book (update) was Oct 21, 2018. Probably about 7:28pm. Then his clock stopped for all time (along with Tov's Critical Hebrew).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2359
LogosEmployee

Denise:
That's interesting. My El Seven's final book (update) was Oct 21, 2018. Probably about 7:28pm. Then his clock stopped for all time (along with Tov's Critical Hebrew).

I'm sorry, I can't understand what you are saying here.

Page 2 of 5 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS