Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 25 2021 6:17 AM

I have been creating personal books out of years of my studies.  I have at least one book for each book of the Bible, old lessons I have taught, two books that I wrote, my pastor's sermons., indexes on another hundred books in my library.  When I add them, they all show up in the panel.  I constantly update them.

Today I wanted to look for a sermon my pastor preached on a particular passage.  The passage guide showed no hits in my personal books.

I went to the library and found only 23 books under my name, none under my pastor's name.  only 21 user created books in my whole library.

how can this be?

Oh, if you respond to this, I do not receive notifications in my email anymore either.  perhaps you can send me a blank email that you responded

lacraig1@sbcglobal.net

thank  you

Posts 29896
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 8:52 AM

How many computers have you used with Logos?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 10:57 AM

just one.  a desktop

I'm here everyday, on it all day.

Posts 425
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 11:30 AM

Are the missing books still visible in the Personal Books tool? If yes, what happens, when you click on "Open" next to one of those books?

Posts 29896
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 11:51 AM

Larry Craig:
just one.  a desktop

Just to make sure: The only computer you have ever used to create personal books is the same computer you are using now. Also, you have not wiped the computer or performed a complete reinstall of Logos. Are all of those true? 

If all of those are true, then the next step is to check out Bernhard's track: 

Bernhard:

Are the missing books still visible in the Personal Books tool? If yes, what happens, when you click on "Open" next to one of those books?

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 12:45 PM

wow, it says I don't have a license to view this resource.  I created this resource.  Why would I need a license?

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 12:46 PM

I did do a reinstall.  I moved Logos to an internal SSD.

Posts 12149
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 12:47 PM

Larry Craig:

wow, it says I don't have a license to view this resource.  I created this resource.  Why would I need a license?

This error message is wrong (some are known to be) and simply should be understood as the resource is not there. The question is why - do you use another computer or have re-installed Logos from scratch? 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 12149
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 12:49 PM

Larry Craig:

I did do a reinstall.  I moved Logos to an internal SSD.

Possibly you should be able to get your PBs back by running the scan command against your old drive, such as scan D:\ if you attach the old drive as D:

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 1:08 PM

My old drive is C;  You say just run scan c:\ and it should find them?

Posts 12149
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 1:21 PM

Larry Craig:

My old drive is C;  You say just run scan c:\ and it should find them?

Most probably, yes

Posts 29896
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 2:00 PM

Mick has got you going in the right track, but for clarification: 

Larry Craig:
I did do a reinstall.

The project and metadata (title, author, publisher, etc.) for personal books syncs automatically by default. The source files do not sync. The compiled book file does not sync automatically (but can be manually uploaded). 

Larry Craig:
I moved Logos to an internal SSD.

What you have described is indicative of a new installation where the compiled files were not uploaded, nor were they brought over manually during the move. If you did move them over, you didn't tell Logos where they were (through the "scan" command). 

Larry Craig:
only 21 user created books

My assumption here is that you did upload those 21 resources. 

NB.Mick:
Possibly you should be able to get your PBs back by running the scan command

NOTE: Mick's good advice here will help you to view the compiled files. However, you will not be able to recompile these files unless you find the source files. Also, I don't know if you use the scan method what will happen if you recompile. It <may> create a duplicate file since Logos will likely view this installation as a "new computer."

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 4:55 PM

JT (alabama24):
Also, I don't know if you use the scan method what will happen if you recompile. It <may> create a duplicate file since Logos will likely view this installation as a "new computer."

Recompiling will be OK, as the file name is retained with the PB in Tools > Personal Books, and sync'd to the new computer.

The scan needs to be refined as C: is much to broad. Use scan C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Logos\Data in the GO Box; where Username is your Windows User Id. But first check that the folder still exists, as you may have to recompile from the source files.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 5:22 PM

I tried to do that, and I got scared.  It talked about scanning and cleaning my hard drive.  Don't want that.  Everything but Logos is on there.

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 5:26 PM

Logos is not telling me when people respond.  I kept looking in the forums and the last post I saw was mine.

I didn't understand most of what you said.  No, I did not upload any files.  Nothing different from anything else, unless those 21 files were files I updated since the reinstall.  I update them often.  

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 5:28 PM

maybe somebody from customer service can take over my computer and do this remotely.

I'm afraid I'm going to screw things up.  When I started trying a scan, it talked about cleaning my hard drive.

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 7:27 PM

files are gone

how would I recompile from source files?

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 7:28 PM

I have to hunt to find out if anyone responds to my posts here.  It doesn't look like it but I search and, oh, somebody answered me.

Posts 29896
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 8:10 PM

Larry Craig:
I have to hunt to find out if anyone responds to my posts here.

Create a book mark to this page. 

Posts 33772
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 8:12 PM

Larry Craig:
how would I recompile from source files?

In exactly the same way that you created the personal books to begin with. The only difference is that you will want to use the same titles you did initially. The important thing is not to panic and not to assume that customer service will magically fix it -- their focus is on technical issues not training issues. Just listen and let Dave (or others) walk you step by step through recovery.

1. When you say "the files are gone", do you mean that the directory containing the files you need to scan is empty?
  2. Do you know where you kept the source files? Are they present?
  3. What sort of backup service do you use for your computer?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS