Beating a dead horse

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 182
Steve Shelton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 5 2010 3:26 PM

I paid $200 for John Gill's Commentary over 25 year ago.  I wish the prepub  price was cheaper.  I wish it would have been on the community buy list, and yet the prepub is not really a bad price in lieu of what I paid for the hard copy over 25 years ago.  There is a lot of work which goes into a Logos publication.  I doubt whether there is much of an audience in our day and time for John Gill.  I am just thankful Logos is going to publish it.  I hope there is enough prepub buyers.

Posts 39
Peter Banks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 10:02 AM

No body is against anyone earning an honest dollor. On the whole I would give Logos an 80%

However, I find interesting however that the public domain capacity found in the PBB was withdrawn when version 4 came out. When Barnes, Baxter, Gill, John Owen Calvin and other puritan collections were under developement.

I suspect that for business reasons, it would be better if Logos focused on doing what does a good job of i.e. Bringing out new resources that are still under copyright and restore the capacities for Public domains Stuff as soon as possible.

There really is a feeling of being ripped  off over these old treasures that really should be free or very low cost..

Posts 10804
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 11:56 AM

Peter Banks:
find interesting however that the public domain capacity found in the PBB was withdrawn when version 4 came out

PBB was not withdrawn. It is simply not yet implemented. I seriously doubt that Logos had a ulterior motive when they set the priorities for the implementation of features when they developed L4.

Peter Banks:
There really is a feeling of being ripped  off over these old treasures that really should be free or very low cost..

They are still free, just not in Logos format. If Logos does not make a profit, there will be no resources, free or otherwise.

Frankly, I feel that your thinly veiled accusation is out of line.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:10 PM

Jack Caviness:

Peter Banks:
find interesting however that the public domain capacity found in the PBB was withdrawn when version 4 came out

PBB was not withdrawn. It is simply not yet implemented. I seriously doubt that Logos had a ulterior motive when they set the priorities for the implementation of features when they developed L4.

Peter Banks:

They are still free, just not in Logos format. If Logos does not make a profit, there will be no resources, free or otherwise.

Frankly, I feel that your thinly veiled accusation is out of line.

Jack I'm with you on this one. Logos spends a lot of time and money up front to tag and index these resources and there is a lot of overhead to provide the engine that runs it all. An engine that they give away.

I am a fan of letting the market work; meaning that if they offer a product that people want for a price people are willing to pay, Logos will succeed. If they do not they will fail. Given the success of their business to date, I would say the market is speaking clearly and they are doing just fine.

I cannot recall how many years I have had a debit card number listed with Logos for the purchase of resources. In all that time every charge they have processed has been at my request, thus there is no one ripping me off.

My problem is not with Logos. My problem is my uncontrollable addiction to try and compete with Rosie's resource librarySurprise 

Posts 10804
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:18 PM

Fred Chapman:
My problem is my uncontrollable addiction to try and compete with Rosie's resource librarySurprise

I can't compete with that addiction! I would probably learn that my bride's temper can match her hair color. Big Smile

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 1:05 PM

Jack Caviness:

Fred Chapman:
My problem is my uncontrollable addiction to try and compete with Rosie's resource librarySurprise

I can't compete with that addiction! I would probably learn that my bride's temper can match her hair color. Big Smile

I think I almost have my wife convinced regarding the benefit of a large resource library and that there are a lot of advantages to living in a car. Wink

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 1:38 PM

Peter Banks:
On the whole I would give Logos an 80%

Would that be approval rating or profit margin?   (I think their take is a lot lower in the profit realm.)

Peter Banks:
However, I find interesting however that the public domain capacity found in the PBB was withdrawn when version 4 came out. When Barnes, Baxter, Gill, John Owen Calvin and other puritan collections were under developement.

You can still have access to all the PBB books by maintaining a Libronix installation on one of your compuers. (I do.) So there is no real conspiracy to deny you access to the public domain works.

I have owned Logos software since version 1.6 but also collected and used most every other Bible software written in English. I had already amassed a library covering the public domain sector in other program formats because they were lower priced than the Libronix versions.

It was not an easy thing for Logos to convince me to buy Spurgeon, Calvin and some Puritan fathers when I had all of them in PDF or other formats. They had to offer a lot more than just text on the screen. I'm happy they did win me over. I have not only been liquidating my dead-tree library but also the digital redundancy on my computers. I now maintain other programs only for their exclusive resources. None of them compares to Logos.

Peter Banks:
There really is a feeling of being ripped  off over these old treasures

I don't feel ripped off because every time Logos has me over the barrel and could price-gouge me, they instead treat me as a good friend and send me home smiling.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 19121
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 6:00 PM

Matthew C Jones:

Peter Banks:
There really is a feeling of being ripped  off over these old treasures

I don't feel ripped off because every time Logos has me over the barrel and could price-gouge me, they instead treat me as a good friend and send me home smiling.

This would be a good time to remind people that developing a relationship with a Sales Rep is a good thing. You'll end up feeling more and more like you're being treated as a friend of Logos, and you'll be smiling every time you purchase resources from Logos! Smile The Sales Reps are there to work for you as well as for Logos. If you've ever bought through a Sales Rep before, be sure to remember that person's name and ask for them again in the future. They'll get a commission from it so you know you're rewarding them for good work, and you'll also get better deals that way...  They're all terrific people, so I won't mention anyone in particular.

Posts 2421
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 6:09 PM

I do the same.  I always buy through a sales rep.

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS