Sharing resources of LOGos 4 with Kindle

Page 1 of 8 (149 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 148 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 2
Keith D. Green | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 27 2010 9:23 PM

I have only had my Logos 4 for mac a short time love it.

I received a Kindle for Christmas and was wondering it I could copy some of the books, not commentaries, over to make reading them a little easier, Like one of the devotionals, example.

Woudl like to use them in conjunction with each other.

Just curious

Keith

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 10:42 PM

Welcome Big Smile

Wonder if http://biblia.com/ usable on Kindle ? can login with Logos account for online access to many resources.

Logos currently offers 4 mobile options => http://www.logos.com/mobile

By the way, an iPad has many book reader applications available, including Kindle.  An iPad color screen easy to read indoors (including Logos in worship services).

Keith D. Green:
I received a Kindle for Christmas and was wondering it I could copy some of the books, not commentaries, over to make reading them a little easier, Like one of the devotionals, example.

Easy copy = No since Logos resources use a file format not supported by Kindle => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle#File_formats

Current 4.2a Beta for Mac has a known issue: Printing/Exporting in Resources is not supported yet

Logos 4 PC can print/export resource(s) to text files.  Wiki page has virtualization information => http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Mac#Need_Logos_4_PC_feature.3f

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3661
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 10:53 PM

On the PC you can copy and paste text - using the standard tools.  If this can be done on a Mac, then you can send your books to the Kindle to read.  You could also copy them into Open Office and print them into PDFs for downloading to the Kindle.  

On the PC there is a program called Mobipocket Creator - this will create Mobi files that can be read on the Kindle as a Kindle book.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 11:20 PM

Floyd Johnson:
On the PC you can copy and paste text - using the standard tools.

Copy and paste works - Mac OS X standard print dialog box includes save as PDF (can create PDF's from many programs) - similar to installing a PDF printer on PC.

Floyd Johnson:
On the PC there is a program called Mobipocket Creator - this will create Mobi files that can be read on the Kindle as a Kindle book.

Learned Mobipocket Creator requires Windows (might work with freely available WINE).

Likewise learned Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/ has downloads for Windows, Mac, and Linux (with many e-book input and output formats).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 12:07 AM

This works perfectly...although, I've only cut and pasted less than a whole book of course, it's enough to get some reading done on the kindle.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 2:23 AM

Robert Pavich:

This works perfectly...although, I've only cut and pasted less than a whole book of course, it's enough to get some reading done on the kindle.

If you can, getting an iPad is a good solution. Apart from the iPad's many other benefits with the Logos for iPad app you can download many titles from your Logos library directly to the iPad for offline reading — work great. I have downloaded many and have them accessible even in cases where there is no Internet access.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 4:32 AM

Having experimented a bit with this, the mobile view of biblia.com is the least labour-intensive approach to reading a whole Logos book on the Kindle.

There is a thread in the Biblia.com forum that deals with this.

Posts 2
Austin Roof | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:45 AM

I have been trying to figure out this same problem. In my personal opinion I would say it is incredibly easy to follow these steps:

1. Download and install 'MobiPocket Publisher" Software

2. From Logos4 copy and then past your book, or book section into a 'Word', or 'Text' document

2a. I have Word 2007 and I had to save it as a Word 1997-2003 formated file for it to import onto MobiPocket.

3. Go into your MobiPocket program and select Import From Existing File and select MS Word

4. Browse and select the file

5. Import

6. After file is imported press the 'Build' button on the top of the program. 

After this your Word Document will be put into a Kindle compatible format. This was extremely easy and is so incredibly practical for so many other things!

Hope this helped!

Blessings

Austin

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 8:46 AM

Austin Roof:
Download and install 'MobiPocket Publisher" Software

MobiPocket web site offers "Mobipocket Creator 4.2 Home Edition" and "Mobipocket Creator 4.2 Publisher Edition" - both need Windows 2000/XP with Internet Explorer 5.0 or above.  Either way, additional software needed to run on a Mac.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 10:14 AM

There is no need for extra software. Just email a document in any common text format (e.g. Microsoft Word) to the @free.kindle.com address that you can find on your Manage my Kindle page of the Amazon website. Amazon will convert it to a Kindle book and send it to your device.

The dowsides of this approach are:

1. Exporting the whole of a 500 page book from Logos is fiddly and time-consuming.

2. You lose the footnotes and the convenience of shortcuts to other Logos resources.

Using Biblia.com instead gets around these.

Posts 32
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 12:34 AM

A friend just copied a book from Logos 4 (new release) for PC into a Word doc then emailed it to his_name@kindle.com with "convert" in the subject line.  It arrived converted on his Kindle and the formatting looks really good.  

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 2:36 AM

Rob:

A friend just copied a book from Logos 4 (new release) for PC into a Word doc then emailed it to his_name@kindle.com with "convert" in the subject line.  It arrived converted on his Kindle and the formatting looks really good.  

How long did it take him, and are there any footnotes?

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 2:49 AM

Rob:

I've never been able to get this to work...hmmm

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 3:00 AM

Robert Pavich:

Rob:

I've never been able to get this to work...hmmm

Hi Robert,

I do this all the time.  This should help you out:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_email_200375630?nodeId=200375630&#email  Note the section on sending personal documents to Kindle. 

The right address to send it to is my name with @free.kindle.com.  The word free has to be in the address.

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 6:05 AM

I've been experimenting with this a bit since I have a number of books in various Bible software platforms that I would simply like to read from beginning to end. I have both an iPad and a Kindle, and like many who have both, for long reading sessions, I believe the Kindle device is a much better choice. 

Regarding titles in Logos, if using the Logos app on the iPad, the big problem is that you cannot take notes. Not too long ago, this was not a big deal for me. But reading ebooks on my Kindle or even in the Kindle app on my iPad has made this a desirable habit. 

It's true that you can simply copy the text of a book in Logos to Word and send it to your Kindle's email address. This is quick and works flawlessly. Unfortunately, on your Kindle home screen, the "author" displayed is the email address from where you sent the document. I wanted the author to match the name of the actual author. 

Lately, I've been in the mood to re-read some early Eugene Peterson. Rather than buy the Kindle version of The Contemplative Pastor, I remembered that I already had this in my Logos library. Since I've already experimented with converting a Word document (again, probably the easiest method), I decided to try out the free Calibre software. 

So I copied the entire contents from the Logos version of The Contemplative Pastor to Word and then imported it into Calibre. No, I did not read the instructions, and simply assumed that Calibre would read a Word document. It does not. So, in checking the formats Calibre will read, I exported the text out of Word into an HTML file. 

Calibre converted this easily to the Amazon Mobi format. I then emailed the book to my Kindle and it appeared within minutes. This whole process took only about 10 minutes. It would have probably taken less time if I'd known what I was doing right off. The only thing I did not do was to create a true, linked Table of Contents. Although I didn't do this, it does not look like a difficult process at all. 

Now check out my results in these screenshots from the Kindle:

Above: Note that The Contemplative Pastor shows up in my book list with the correct author just like any regular Kindle book.

Above: The cover page. Notice even the placement of "Volume 17" to the side is just like the Logos edition.

Above: the copyright page. Note that bold formatting was retained. 

Above: the first page of the second chapter. Note the formatting that's been retained: italics, different-sized fonts, larger capital for first letter in chapter. 

Above: note that the Kindle's built in dictionary works with the book, just like any regular Kindle book. 

Above: Highlighting and notes work. You can even share the note via Twitter & Facebook. 

All things considered, this seems to be the best way to read books from Logos and other Bible software on a Kindle. By converting the book with Calibre, the Kindle treats it just as it would any regular book that would be bought from the Amazon, with perhaps the exception of page numbers (now that Amazon has begun adding these). 

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 6:43 AM

R. Mansfield:
So, in checking the formats Calibre will read, I exported the text out of Word into an HTML file. 

Did you use the "Save As" command in Word?  If so did you save it as a regulare HTML file or a filtered one (whatever that means)?

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 6:49 AM

Keith Larson:

Did you use the "Save As" command in Word?  If so did you save it as a regulare HTML file or a filtered one (whatever that means)?

Yes, I simply used the Save As command. For the rest of your question, I had to take another look. I hadn't deleted the Word file yet, so I opened it again, hit Save As, which brought up this dialogue (I've cropped out the top part).

I didn't make any changes but simply saved with these settings. I don't see a "filtered" setting. I'm using Word 2011. 

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 7:50 AM

That answers my question, thanks.  I am going to have to play around with Calibre.  It will be a little more work than simply emailing a Word file to Amazon, but the results will be worth it.

I now only wish Logos would create a one bottom solution to this, by adding a mobi converter directly into Logos.

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 7:57 AM

Keith Larson:

I now only wish Logos would create a one bottom solution to this, by adding a mobi converter directly into Logos.

I can't imagine them ever doing this because of the fear of non-DRM copies of texts floating around. Certainly, that's what I've created in Calibre, but I'm not going to distribute it to anyone. Adding the conversion directly into the software might make it too easy for those who would, though. 

Bootleg (i.e. non-paid) copies of texts is the biggest fear of publishers and authors in regard to eBooks. 

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 8:34 AM

R. Mansfield:
Bootleg (i.e. non-paid) copies of texts is the biggest fear of publishers and authors in regard to eBooks. 

And proves how near sited they are. They only see the theft. They don't see the many more people who experience free content which draws them into the other paid content, especially when dealing with people with a conscience like Christian readers. Yes there are thieves who don't care. But they are  outnumbered by the people who get the free and want more so they pay.

Page 1 of 8 (149 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS