Page 3 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 70 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 4:37 PM

Thomas Black:

Mark A. Smith:

You can have the presentation off-line, but can't modify it that way. So if you get to where you are going to project and want to make a last minute change you can't do that without going online.

Thanks Mark, That seals the option on this one for us.  We're not planning on bringing the internet to the church - completely impractical.  

I appreciate the answers everybody.  

How about an aircard or MiFi? Those new plans are somewhat-more affordable, and would be able to bring the Internet to at least your church's AV machine.

I know, what you really need is Wi-Net. Still working on it. Once I can finally get the fish to bite, maybe I can help finally bring Internet to your church. :-)

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 21877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 11:44 PM

Nathan Parker:
How did you get an Alpha to it? Where could I signup for an Alpha.

Hi Nathan

Several months ago there was an invitation from Logos to apply for Alpha testing which is what I did.

The only thing I can suggest at the moment is to contact Logos and see what they say.

Graham

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:18 AM

Nathan Parker:
How about an aircard or MiFi? Those new plans are somewhat-more affordable, and would be able to bring the Internet to at least your church's AV machine.
Monthly fees are about the same and aside from a few hours on Sunday's completely pointless.  Of course there's always dialup. Ick!

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 9:17 AM

I don't think that this has been discussed but....

What about those who work on their presentations away from church (in a coffee shop?)

The actual presentation is not cloud based...just the prep of it....

That would render this question moot...im just sayin....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 21877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 9:21 AM

Hi Robert

If I understand you correctly, this approach would need someone who had prepared a presentation in the coffee shop to get it to church somehow. With the church not having Internet access it would need some form of USB pen or something similar.

Bob has stated - http://community.logos.com/forums/p/28518/212310.aspx#212310 - that this is not the market they are aiming at.

Graham

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 9:31 AM

Well...what if the same laptop that you present it on is the same one that you prepare it on?

Robert Pavich

Posts 21877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 10:13 AM

That should work - but you probably wouldn't be able to change it at church if you wanted any last-minute adjustments.

Graham

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 10:48 AM

Graham..

Actually you could...but you just can SHARE your edits with other collaborators...and by that time....it shouldn't have to go out to others right?

Robert Pavich

Posts 3659
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 10:57 AM

Graham Criddle:
probably wouldn't be able to change it at church if you wanted any last-minute adjustments.

Graham,

In the current beta, you're right.  The Edit button is grayed out when turned off my wireless adapter, started Proclaim off-line, & attempted to edit a file I'd just created. That's a problem for at least my church. I can't tell you how often "events" cause us to make last second changes in what we project. What events, you ask? Typos that we discover in the bulletin, for instance. As people come in, those responsible for something find an error (either in what they gave us or in how we transcribed it--either in the bulletin or on screen), & they ask us to change it. Or maybe the worship leader wants a last second substitution in the worship music we sing before the service starts. Or maybe the date & time of a scheduled event in the coming week's calendar has to change for some reason that we didn't find out until just before worship started. Or maybe a new calendared event needs to be announced & included in the week's events that are projected just prior to the start of worship. These have all happened. Over & over. We count on being able to make those changes, all on text slides that we produced.

If we can't make these kinds of changes last minute, while not connected to the internet, we'd be unable to use Proclaim. I'm betting most other small churches without internet (& no plan for it) in the sanctuary would feel similarly. And I'll bet the number of those churches that could otherwise benefit from Proclaim dwarfs the number of churches that will have internet available during worship.

I appreciate the cloud gluing us together during development. I get that. But if we couldn't make last minute changes in the text WE developed on for projection on our single AV PC in worship, Proclaim just wouldn't work for us.

Hope I've stated the case clearly. :-)

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 4:18 PM

Graham Criddle:

Nathan Parker:
How did you get an Alpha to it? Where could I signup for an Alpha.

Hi Nathan

Several months ago there was an invitation from Logos to apply for Alpha testing which is what I did.

The only thing I can suggest at the moment is to contact Logos and see what they say.

Graham

Thanks! I contacted someone at Logos and I'll see what they say.

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 4:19 PM

Thomas Black:

Nathan Parker:
Monthly fees are about the same and aside from a few hours on Sunday's completely pointless.  Of course there's always dialup. Ick!

True. Whenever I can finally do something with Wi-Net, I'll see if I can help your church out. I am going to need a tester once I have a device I can hold in my hands. :-)

Nathan Parker

Posts 2
Cam Barnard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 8:14 PM

Thanks for asking this question, I'm quite excited about Procliam as we have a small church plant that meets in a community center. Throughout the week we don't share an office or a building.

My key question and concern is the same as yours ... on-line collaboration and construction is perfect ... but we do not have any access to an internet connection during our actual church time at the community center.

From what I see of the comments below it seems like Proclaim isn't targeted here, fair enough. But if Proclaim ever did offer a reliable PLAY ONLY mode without Internet for Sunday morning ... that would be ideal for us.

Posts 21877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 9:20 PM

Cam Barnard:
From what I see of the comments below it seems like Proclaim isn't targeted here, fair enough. But if Proclaim ever did offer a reliable PLAY ONLY mode without Internet for Sunday morning ... that would be ideal for us.

Hi Cam

This should work. 

Please see discussions at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/30721/227973.aspx#227973 and http://community.logos.com/forums/p/25162/186735.aspx#186735

Graham

Posts 576
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2011 9:05 AM

Graham's links are to private forums where discussions are being had about the Proclaim alpha testing, so you will most likely not have access to them.

Cam, I would encourage you to sign up for future announcements regarding Proclaim and give it a try for free when it comes out. You are the only one who will be able to make the decision if Proclaim is right for your church.

Posts 21877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2011 9:39 AM

Alan / Cam

Alan Palmer:
Graham's links are to private forums where discussions are being had about the Proclaim alpha testing, so you will most likely not have access to them.

Many apologies - I had missed which forum I was in.

Graham

Posts 1
pmousebrown | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2011 2:40 PM

We are in almost the same situation and currently use a package that allows us to project from a laptop we haul to church every Sunday.  I am looking forward to testing Proclaim though the Internet question is a big one for us.  We do have access but the connection is slow and no support if it happens to fail on Sunday so we want a solution that allows cloud preparation and presentation without Internet if necessary.  It would be nice to make last minute changes but I could live without it.

I think the big improvement for us would be in the whole concept of templates.  Our current software allows us to store individual songs, liturgy (some set some changing every week), and prayers as templates and I assemble a presentation for Sunday by pulling the various pieces into one presentation. Right now, I am responsible for trying to keep all of the various pieces in sync on the various computers and it is a headache.

Hope to see if Proclaim offers a better solution.

Pat

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2011 3:09 PM

Hi Pat,

I use MS Live Mesh to keep my documents in sync, and it does a good job.  Once I change a document on one computer, it pushes the document to the other computers.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2011 3:51 PM

tom collinge:

Hi Pat,

I use MS Live Mesh to keep my documents in sync, and it does a good job.  Once I change a document on one computer, it pushes the document to the other computers.

That's what I do too. We're currently on ProPresenter (beta testing Proclaim, but not ready for live use yet), and Live Mesh allows me to create some of the slides from my machine and have them sync to the church AV machine over-the-air. Works great.

Nathan Parker

Posts 3
LANDON | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2011 4:16 PM

I know this is a little bit of a late of a response, but has anyone thought of the tethering option with a smartphone if their church does not have WiFi?  

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2011 8:23 PM

LANDON:

I know this is a little bit of a late of a response, but has anyone thought of the tethering option with a smartphone if their church does not have WiFi?  

I was going to do this for our church, but they broke down and got DSL. Yep, I think it'd work just fine. That or one of those MiFi Hotspots. About the same price.

Nathan Parker

Page 3 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS