Page 2 of 9 (173 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 172 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 1:03 AM

Thank you Bob for asking. I got used to newsgrougs way but I think web-based forums are more usual for more people. I have no problem with it. It looks nice here and I hope all guys from newsgroups will move here. I would miss them very much Smile

Have a great day.

Bohuslav

Bohuslav

Posts 7
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 1:54 AM

Wonderful idea wish you had done it sooner it is the way to go.

Stephen Schultz

Posts 1141
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:47 AM

For me, the forum approach is far better.  Just don't make me add my picture.Smile

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 5:03 AM

You can change many things in your profile and also in the setup of the site (or how they call that). I did. Have a great day.

Bohuslav

Bohuslav

Posts 46
    And yet, as I've had a night to sleep on it == generally I'm quite content in the NG realm, and web based forums (while looking a bit slicker) are rather Shakespearean ("much ado about nothing") --
 Yet, I find that I was able to post a response to George (last night) from my laptop, here in a hotel room. This morning, from the same location with the same hardware, I got an error that said the message couldn't be posted. Go figure
Dale

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Coming to you from Henryetta Oklahoma (45 miles south of Tulsa, and 85 miles east of OKC)

Posts 46

FWIW -- the video link shows up when I accessed the forum but the link appears to be dead

Dale

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Coming to you from Henryetta Oklahoma (45 miles south of Tulsa, and 85 miles east of OKC)

Posts 46

FWIW = video humbnail appears, but the link appears to be dead

Dale

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 6:04 AM

I like both, but I love the fact that the post can be sent via RSS.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 6:06 AM

I agree

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 6:15 AM

Bob Pritchett:

I'm interested in your feedback on our new web forums.

Do you prefer this to the NNTP newsgroups? Are there advantages/disadvantages?

What I do not like about forums is that all the responses are displayed sequentially.  Using newsgroup, we can see who responded to whom and was able to follow the conversation.  With everything being listed sequentially, the conversational portion is lost.

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 6:18 AM

My issues with the use of the forum have already been posted. But a decision will have to be made wrt use of the newsgroups. I would start to close down the less frequently used ones ASAP e.g. all the lbx.xxx ones, test, wiki, logos2x, Setup - until only General, Suggestions, Beta and Macintosh remain! Then you must decide when you (Logos) stop posting announcements in Beta and close that down!

Think about moving all the Suggestions into the web forum and then close that down! Likewise with Macintosh.

Finally, close General Super Angry

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 132
George T. Kelley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 7:59 AM

I prefer the newsgroup format, much better. I like opening my Windows Mail and go down to the news reader section and read the ones that I like to read and response.

For me it is a big NO!

God Bless
GeorgeT

Posts 39
Scott K | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 8:35 AM

I greatly appreciate the change, for now I can post my thoughts.  I have read the newsgroups for years, but whenever I tried to post a comment, either I wasn't able to do so (technical problems), or (once I thought I got it working) I was afraid of releasing my email address into the land of spammers.  So, though it may be more cumbersome a medium, I feel now empowered to join in the conversation and add my $.02 when appropriate.

Posts 3719
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 9:07 AM

One of the reasons that I do not like the forums is that invalid statistics are being posted.  Here are the forums that I see available:

As you can see, the stats at the bottom of the image report 21 threads.  I only see the five threads listed under "Threads/Posts".   If there are more than the four forums listed here, that might explain the descripancy - but I cannot find additional forums. 

Back to the newsgroups - I hope.

Yours because His,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 9:20 AM

Hmmm. Not bad, not bad at all. It's very similar to the only other message board I use so personally it won't be hard for me to get used to.

You do need a way to link directly to the last page of a thread though (a "Last Reply" link). Most people just want to see new replies once a thread gets going and those extra steps required (linking to the top of the thread and then navigating with the page buttons at the bottom) are kind of annoying.

You need a spellcheck as well. I don't know about you but I don't want people knowing what a horrible speller I am.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 9:33 AM

As I mentioned in the NG, I think anytime you respond to a comment, the comment is treated as a new thread. I'm responding to your comment, so it will create a new thread.

Making it a little harder to determine if that's correct, the stats don't update automatically. It appears they update every few minutes rather than with every post.

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 10:44 AM

A few comments on first use.

Advantages:

1. Rich Content. Get to see pictures of Dave's TV box. I don't know how many times I have woken up at night wondering about this
  2. Portable. Can log on anywhere to see the forums with my settings
  3. Perhaps it is easier and more likely that people will trim their replies and not include everthing ever written on a thread in the next reply.
  4. Richer formatting.
  5. Avatar potentially lets you see pictures of who you are conversing with.

Disadvantages/ Questions

1. The "recent topics" listing on the first page - is there a way to indicate which forum the post is from.
  2. Is there a way to have your editing and viewing settings listed on one screen for all forums. EG I only want to see topics with new posts when I go into a forum. It seems I have to go to each forum individually and remember which forums I have set the filter on and which ones I haven't. The same is true for RSS subscriptions
  3. When viewing a topic, how do you tell which posts you read last time when you next go into it? Is this even possible with a forum, as there can be many posts on a screen and just because you have the screen visible, does not mean you read the bottom post on that screen.
  4. RSS solves the problem of knowing which posts you have read, but in the reader I use (google reader) you loose the ability to group the various replies by thread.
  5. The "email me" replies to this post box worries me. If I make a few posts and forget to uncheck this, it seems that I will have an open ended subscription to things which will spam me till the day I die.Given how you set up subscriptions and settings, it seems that this will be a killer to manage.
  6. Given my understanding, I now have to use 3 tools to track what used to be tracked with the news reader in a single place:
    1. Web browser to set up subscriptions and see posts in context of a thread. No knowledge of which are new/old from the last time I viewed the thread is available.
    2. RSS reader to group new posts into forums.
    3. email to easily track replies to my posts
Posts 17
Wolfgang Schneider | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 10:52 AM

Hello

Bob Pritchett:
I'm interested in your feedback on our new web forums.

Do you prefer this to the NNTP newsgroups? Are there advantages/disadvantages?

yes, I normally prefer forum to newsgroup 

There's a "sign in & redirect to forum" trouble which someone else already mentioned .... the problem could perhaps be easily solved by making sure that the list of links to various areas of the Logos website which is located at the top left corner is the same in all areas of the website (because currently the link to "forums" is missing on the sign-in page and the main section of the Logos website.

I also have difficulties to read the forum "as is" with the current default font-size and theme ... will need to check out if there are options in the personal profile for making adjustments to achieve better readability

Thanks for making forums available

Cheers,

Wolfgang

Cheers,
Wolfgang

(BibelCenter Editor)

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 10:54 AM

Okay, I tried. How do you set this up as an RSS feed? I tried clicking the RSS at the bottom of the page and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks in advance.

I posted this by posting a reply to Rick Brannan's post re RSS feeds. But it was put at the end of the list. I'll have to check to see if "view by threaded" is an option (sure hope so).

Being able to edit your own posts is an advantage over NNTP

BTW, selecting "preview" and then returning to a previous page by the browser "Back" button, kicks you out of the editing window and you loose all your formatting.

Rick Brannan:

Yay, forums! Particularly with RSS feeds and especially if the "Search this site" box (above right) is quick.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 30208
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2009 11:55 AM

I find that the web page in defined in a manner that forces me to either widen my window or scroll horizontally. I much prefer pages that don't have any fixed widths.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 2 of 9 (173 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS