Crash when dragging library items to shortcut bar

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 89
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 25 2011 7:25 PM

Logos Version: 4.2b SR-1 (4.22.5.1109)

When I try and drag an item to the shortcuts bar Logos crashes. I couldn't find a resolution to this issue anywhere.

This has been happening ever since I installed Logos on a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit (I used to be on 32 bit)

Attached are the log files 0755.Logos Log Files.zip

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2011 9:09 PM

What item are trying to drag to the bar?  Can you drag a resource tab?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 89
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2011 9:45 PM

Dragging anything. I've tried resources, documents, list, guides....etc As soon as I let go of it on the shortcut bar it crashes instantly!

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 31 2011 10:02 AM

I have sent your logs to Development for investigation.  You may always give Customer Support a call for assistance as well.

1-800-875-6467 Monday to Friday, 6am to 5pm Pacific Time Zone.

Posts 89
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2011 2:01 AM

Is there any progress with this? What should I be doing?
A long distance call to support isn't ideal for me...

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2011 3:14 AM

Randle Bond:
A long distance call to support isn't ideal for me...

You could send an email to tech@logos.com and quote this thread.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 8:43 AM

Are you running the program as Administrator?  

Do you have the User Account Controls turned off?

Posts 89
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 1:43 AM

After many tech support emails, a long phone call, multiple logos re-installs... I've still got the issue and no idea how to fix it? Crying

Logos support got me to do the following

1. Delete the wpf Font cache and restart windows. This didn't work
  2. Delete the Document folder and re-sync (it crashed while trying to re-sync)
  3. Re-install Logos - this didn't work

Any ideas? Anyone else with this issue?

I tried repairing .NET 4, but realised it was .NET 3.5 that Logos uses and not sure how to repair this on Windows 7 64bit? Could it be a program conflict cause by Picasa previewing bitmaps or something? My Windows was a clean install and has done this since the beginning!

The error starts like this:

2011-09-27 09:26:10.5886    1    Info    LDLS4.AppModel    Initializing PanelLinkingManager.
2011-09-27 09:26:10.7286    1    Error    BitmapSourceUtility    No imaging component suitable to complete this operation was found.
2011-09-27 09:26:10.7286    1    Error    BitmapSourceUtility    No imaging component suitable to complete this operation was found.
2011-09-27 09:26:10.7406    1    Error    WpfDataBinding    System.Windows.Data Error: 16 : Cannot get 'Shortcuts' value (type 'ReadOnlyCollection`1') from '' (type 'ShortcutsViewModel').

See attached log

1462.2Logos4.log

p.s. Yes, Tony - I'm always on administrator and tried turning user controls off

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 2:46 AM

Randle Bond:
I tried repairing .NET 4, but realised it was .NET 3.5 that Logos uses and not sure how to repair this on Windows 7 64bit? Could it be a program conflict cause by Picasa previewing bitmaps or something?

I would definitely try to resolve conflicts by uninstalling such programs if they cannot be prevented from running in the background or by stopping their Service, as .NET 3.5 is native to W7 and difficult to remove/repair.  Also ensure you have installed all Windows Updates for .NET.

If that fails try the procedures here  http://community.logos.com/forums/p/30141/223127.aspx#223127  (backup Logos4 beforehand - see http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers ).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 8:59 AM

Randle Bond:

p.s. Yes, Tony - I'm always on administrator and tried turning user controls off

Randle -- After the bug case was filed on your report, development asked: Are you running the program as Administrator? Do you have User Account Control (UAC)  turned off?  

Sorry--just noticed your p.s. to Tonya. I will reactivate the bug case she filed and include the answers development had requested. 

Posts 89
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2011 1:48 AM

Thanks Melissa.

Dave, Logos support followed the uninstall/install procedure. I had a look at the .NET forum post you linked to, but wasn't a 100% sure how to repair .NET 3.5 in Windows 7 since it is built in. The linked page only seems to work for other version of Windows.

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2011 3:46 AM

Randle Bond:
I had a look at the .NET forum post you linked to, but wasn't a 100% sure how to repair .NET 3.5 in Windows 7 since it is built in.

Frankly, it's not something I would cheerfully perform in W7 either. I did so for Windows XP but that was straightforward.

Is it true that it only affects shortcuts?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2011 7:20 AM

Randle Bond:

Thanks Melissa.

Development has asked me to follow up with these questions/requests:

1. Is the behavior still that it crashes when you drag and drop something on the shortcut bar?
  2. The the "No imaging..." indicates that you may have an existing bad shortcut. Can you send us a screenshot of current shortcuts?
  3. Do you sync between Mac and Windows systems?
  4. It may help to review your "shortcuts.db" file. Please attach that file found here:

"C:\Users\Randle Bond\AppData\Local\Logos4\Documents\ftxtsbkn.jvr\ShortcutsManager\shortcuts.db"

Thanks.

Posts 89
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2011 6:31 PM

1. Yes. Logos also crashes when trying to re-sync the documents after I remove the local copy. I've attached log files for this crash. I also get a crash when trying to open logos in diagnostics mode after signing in (see seperate zip file). I don't get any other crashes.

2. I don't actually have any shortcuts on my bar. I used to have them, but they've never reappeared. Maybe I have some corrupt shortcuts in my account? They were there before I did a fresh installation of W7 64bit to replace W7 32bit

3. No.

4. I've attached the shortcut.db folder/files. I attached a copy before I tried to re-sync the documents and a copy after for your comparison.

2158.Logos Log and Shortcut Files.zip

5732.Logos Diagnostics Mode Log Files.zip

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2011 7:25 AM

Randle Bond:

1. Yes. Logos also crashes when trying to re-sync the documents after I remove the local copy. I've attached log files for this crash. I also get a crash when trying to open logos in diagnostics mode after signing in (see seperate zip file). I don't get any other crashes.

2. I don't actually have any shortcuts on my bar. I used to have them, but they've never reappeared. Maybe I have some corrupt shortcuts in my account? They were there before I did a fresh installation of W7 64bit to replace W7 32bit

3. No.

4. I've attached the shortcut.db folder/files. I attached a copy before I tried to re-sync the documents and a copy after for your comparison

Thank you. I've provided the additional information and logs to development.

Update:  Development says that it does appear to be a corrupted shortcut that is causing the problem. They have deleted your synced shortcut items, and have asked to have you delete your shortcut database file (shortcuts.db) and restart Logos 4. Once you've done that, you should be able to add shortcuts again without crashing. Please let me know whether or not this resolves the problem. Thanks.

Posts 38
Mark Flory | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2012 12:36 PM

Hello Randle,

While this particular thread has aged quite a bit, I am curious if you had any positive effect by deleting your shortcut database file and restarting Logos 4 as Melissa indicated in her update in the previous post. There have been a couple other folks that have experienced program crashes related to making changes to their shortcuts, and I am exploring whether your experience with this issue might be helpful in resolving their challenges.

Since you had not responded for a couple weeks after Melissa's post requesting feedback, the case that had been logged for your issue was closed in mid October with a kind of "no news is good news" assumption that the problem had been resolved. I just wanted to check in with you and see if that was indeed the situation.

Thanks,

Mark Flory

Posts 89
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2012 3:46 PM

Thanks for the follow up Mark. I didn't actually get the following update from Melissa:

Update:  Development says that it does appear to be a corrupted shortcut that is causing the problem. They have deleted your synced shortcut items, and have asked to have you delete your shortcut database file (shortcuts.db) and restart Logos 4. Once you've done that, you should be able to add shortcuts again without crashing. Please let me know whether or not this resolves the problem. Thanks.

The original post by Melissa finished with thanking me for the additional information and I received no additional email updates after then, so I assumed there had been no progress. I actually laughed when I got your email until I saw the update from Melissa and realised that work had indeed been done. I didn't even have to delete the shortcut database. Straight away I've been able to create shortcuts again and they've saved for when I reopen Logos with no crashes Big Smile

It might be useful to advise other support people to create new posts rather than updates so that people like me can be notified when things are resolved.

Thanks again! I'm really happy to have shortcuts working!!!

Posts 89
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 5:44 PM

My shortcuts got corrupted again! Little frustrating since I had finally got all the right links there. Logos crashed while I was dropping a shortcut on there and working offline.

In order to fix it I had to close Logos. delete C:\Users\Randle Bond\AppData\Local\Logos4\Documents\ftxtsbkn.jvr\ShortcutsManager\shortcuts.db and open it again to re-sync with online.

Alas, my previous shortcuts were now gone along with my additions - but it is working again!

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS