SIL exegetical summaries offer

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 18 2011 7:40 AM

Logos Newswire has an excellent offer for SIL exegetical summaries,  Check it out, if interested.

Naturally no preview pages on Logos website...  Am checking previews on Amazon.

Does anyone use these?  I'd welcome comments from someone who does.  They look as if they might be useful to me, but I'd like to hear from someone who's used them...

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 8:44 AM

I would very much like to hear about these commentaries as well... if you already have the UBS Handbook volumes, how would this series add to it? More technical? When looking at things passage by passage, is there some other value they bring to the table?

Posts 10410
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 8:49 AM

First, as so far no-one has linked it: we are talking about http://www.logos.com/product/4294/exegetical-summaries-series . The series is incomplete, btw.

Second: I very much like the point that you can buy them as single resources as well - thus one may buy them one-at-a time (but the newsletter offer seems to be really good)

Third: I don't know the series, but it seems these are meta-commentaries, i.e. compiled from existing commentary entries

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 8:58 AM

NewbieMick:

Third: I don't know the series, but it seems these are meta-commentaries, i.e. compiled from existing commentary entries

That's a fair observation. These commentaries ask the question, what do commentators say about a passage. They tell you conclusions, not rationale.

If you look at this screen cap you'll see lexical/translation variation observed and then exegetical questions posed with the answers that various commentators give.

Posts 10410
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 9:13 AM

Kevin Becker:
These commentaries ask the question, what do commentators say about a passage. They tell you conclusions, not rationale.

Yes. I looked onto the preview pages of SIL E.S. James http://www.amazon.com/Exegetical-Summary-James-Second/dp/1556711956/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313683333&sr=8-2#reader_1556711956 - very interesting.

One question, just to confirm: the thousands of links really go to the specific location in the respective lexicons/commentary (i.e. in your screenshot to where the commenator explains Eph. 1:6 and comes to the conclusion refererred to by SIL E.S.) ?

Mick

Posts 10410
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 9:22 AM

Mike S.:
if you already have the UBS Handbook volumes, how would this series add to it? More technical?

I can't compare to UBS, but from what Logos and Amazon tell, it seems to be Yet Another Commentary, whereas this series is something different. I advise looking at the screenshot posted here or at the Look-Into pages in Amazon. Maybe the backcover gives even more hints (curiously not reflected in the Logos description)

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 10:53 AM

What attracts me is that it summarises the various conclusions scholars have reached, and in which commentaries, so you can then go direct to the commentary concerned if you want more detail.  And it seems to go more thoroughly into the text, word by word, phrase by phrase than even the UBS, which is normally the first commentary I consult.

I note that the set is not complete, but it works out just over $10 a volume with the Newswire offer.  They look like about $40 a volume in Amazon...

As I story the Bible, it's particularly important for me to know what I think the text means before paraphrasing it not only into a foreign language, but also into terms that make sense to my neighbours.  UBS is invauable here, e.g. for principles of translation.  But sometimes even their commentaries leave me not understanding what the text means.  e.g. What did Jesus mean when he said to Zacchaeus:  Salvation has come to this house today.  I think the SIL summaries would summarise the different theories and in which commentaries they can be found.

Yes, just having upgraded to Platinum, mainly for extra commentaries, I fear I'm about to splurge again.  Fortunately my bank account can stand it!

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 11:13 AM

NewbieMick:
One question, just to confirm: the thousands of links really go to the specific location in the respective lexicons/commentary (i.e. in your screenshot to where the commenator explains Eph. 1:6 and comes to the conclusion refererred to by SIL E.S.) ?

Links in SIL are a mixed bag. Many of them do point to the right Logos resources. Others only bring up bibliographical popups. The links that are active the Bible Commentaries take you the right verse, not the particular paragraph that makes the point in question.

Posts 10410
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 12:03 PM

Kevin,

Kevin Becker:
Links in SIL are a mixed bag. Many of them do point to the right Logos resources. Others only bring up bibliographical popups. The links that are active the Bible Commentaries take you the right verse, not the particular paragraph that makes the point in question.

too bad. However, I think from the bible commentary sets SIL regularly refers to, I own only a smaller part anyway...

I understand from Amazon that some missing volumes (1 Timothy and the second half of Romans) are now available in paper, as well as the 2nd edition of Rev 12-22 - which gives rise to the hope that one day they'll appear in Logos. 

Do you utilize this often? To verify your own "hand-made" exegesis as supported by those commentaries you trust or do you rather look at the questions SIL poses and answer them yourself?

I'm unclear whether I should buy this or not. It's a really good discount - but then...

Thanks for your help so far!

Mick

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 12:25 PM

NewbieMick:
Do you utilize this often? To verify your own "hand-made" exegesis as supported by those commentaries you trust or do you rather look at the questions SIL poses and answer them yourself?

I value the SIL mostly for identifying exegetical disagreement that may or may not be discussed by the commentators I do read in more depth.

If it's a quick study I ignore the SIL summaries, but if it's detailed exegesis I make certain to consult with them. Personally, I would recommend buying them if you already have a stable of commentaries (in my case Platinum plus WBC) if you're thin on commentaries you might have a hard time determining the strength of various positions with just the SIL volume.

Personally? I'm glad I have them.

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 6:33 PM

Kevin Becker:
I would recommend buying them if you already have a stable of commentaries (in my case Platinum plus WBC) if you're thin on commentaries you might have a hard time determining the strength of various positions with just the SIL volume.

Hey Kevin...I am similar to you...I have Platinum, but with Hermeneia and NICOT/NICNT (not WBC).  Do you think I would gain suitable benefits from SIL?  It would be handy to quickly reference the differing scholarly opinions, but not much good if you can't follow through and consult them first hand.

Just wondering, how much were these on pre-pub?  Is the current deal a good deal I suppose is what I'm after.

Thanks.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 6:56 PM

Is Mebin:

Hey Kevin...I am similar to you...I have Platinum, but with Hermeneia and NICOT/NICNT (not WBC).  Do you think I would gain suitable benefits from SIL?  It would be handy to quickly reference the differing scholarly opinions, but not much good if you can't follow through and consult them first hand.

Just wondering, how much were these on pre-pub?  Is the current deal a good deal I suppose is what I'm after.

I did buy these off of PrePub and the Newswire price is the same as the prepub price was. So, this is probably as good a deal as you will ever see on these.

Here's proof Smile http://web.archive.org/web/20080626063414/http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/4293

Will you find these helpful? I think so but can't guarantee it. I did notice that the Hebrews volume didn't utilize the Hermeneia volume... probably because those commentaries are not specifically exegetical.

Posts 10410
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2011 11:01 PM

Kevin Becker:
I did notice that the Hebrews volume didn't utilize the Hermeneia volume... probably because those commentaries are not specifically exegetical.

From looking into some of those in Amazon, I thought that Hermeneia was among their list of commentaries regularly considered (remember seeing Hermeneia works from Dibelius and Bultmann), but maybe they always go to the best, and it is "coincidence" that AY, NIC, Tyndale, Lenski, are referrered to... 

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 4:52 AM

NewbieMick:
From looking into some of those in Amazon, I thought that Hermeneia was among their list of commentaries regularly considered (remember seeing Hermeneia works from Dibelius and Bultmann), but maybe they always go to the best, and it is "coincidence" that AY, NIC, Tyndale, Lenski, are referrered to... 

I don't know, I was just surprised that Attridge wasn't mentioned in the SIL Hebrews volume. His work on Hebrews is very highly regarded.

Posts 50
Randy O'Brien | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 5:30 AM

I would affirm their value - especially if you own many commentaries. On the other hand, even if you don't own many of the cited commentaries, it is very helpful to see what they would say if you had it. In that sense it could be very useful on its own.

I use the SIL as a sort of "cliff notes" to the various viewpoints and positions. It is an easy way to spot interpretive issues and link to the sources. Like Kevin, I use them more for in-depth study rather than the casual work.

I own portfolio plus NIC, WBC, and some others I picked up on Christmas sales, etc. I use them in pastoral work as well as academic research. I think of them more as a commentary tool than a commentary set. Hope this helps to have another viewpoint.

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 3:48 PM

Kevin Becker:
the Newswire price is the same as the prepub price was

Thanks Kevin...I appreciate you telling me that.  I'm pretty convinced now that these would be a good acquisition.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 4:13 PM

nicky crane:
I note that the set is not complete, but it works out just over $10 a volume with the Newswire offer.

If I recall correctly, the current NewsWire sale price is the same as the Pre-Pub price. I got some of them in the Christmas special I wanted to get the rest but the individual prices made it quite expensive. This deal is very good. Time to rummage the coins out of the sofas.

Note to Self:  Read the entire thread from latest post to earliest post BEFORE responding. Embarrassed Thanks Kevin Becker, for always being there and for giving us the proof.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10410
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2011 3:27 PM

Kevin Becker:

Kevin, 

thanks again for sharing. I couldn't resist & took the offer and now can see even more clearly what you meant.

From looking into some (not all) of them it seems:

• some resources work fine (such as WBC, NAC, Lenski). Fine means, clicking on the reference will open the resource and lead you to the right verse/. section. This also holds true of a number of bible translations cited, including NIV84
  • some resources are really not linked (such as BNTC, TNTC) 
  • some resources are linked in an obscure or outdated "instance" such as the Greek New Testament (Logos claim they don't even sell this version anymore) or BST, which seems to link an UK resource set, while I have the US version of it

Anyway, since it is always possible to manually open and link resources with no, "wrong" or "outdated" tagging to the SIL commentary via Link Sets ("A", "B"), those will scroll along with the SIL commentary - works even in the two "monograph"-tagged OT resources on Joel and Malachi.

Seems to be a good buy, after all. I understand from the NewsWire that the offer is valid only through August (they referred to it with a yellow box in the SIL series product page last week, but took this down in the meantime).

Mick

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2011 3:59 PM

I just took the plunge...will download later though Cool

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2011 5:20 PM

NewbieMick, Is Mebin hope you enjoy and find these books helpful!

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS