Slow (logos 4)

Page 2 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:16 AM

elishakatamura:
I'm using AVG Free.

elisha,

Also...tell AVG to NOT scan Logos files...

Excludes in AVG Resident Shield component are available at menu Tools -> Advanced settings -> Resident Shield

For AVG 8.5:
-> Exceptions ... whole folders only could be used

For AVG 9.0:
-> Directory excludes .... folders
-> Excluded files .... files

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2653
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:32 AM

elishakatamura:

Logos 4 is supposed to be faster than L3...

... my Logos 4 is 5 times slower than L3 though. HELP!

I think that a lot of people have misunderstood this claim. It is definitely faster at searching.  I challenge you to do a side by side comparison with 3 and 4 of a passage guide on the same passage or a word in all your library.  I would bet my fastest PC v. your slowest (if I was a betting man) that 4 will win. And that is the claim Logos made.

Sadly they do not claim and cannot claim that Logos 4 in general is faster than 3. The program is sluggish at best on an older system.  On a fast machine as I am using it is a tad slow. follow some of the suggestions given here and it will help. But your best solution is ...

1. Get a screaming fast computer and still put up with a slight speed problem

2. Wait while they tweak this thing.

I was a beta tester and write a column for Christian Computing Mag. For turnaround purposes I asked to be notified when this would ship so my review could come out in our next issue. So I knew that it would e released in early Nov. before many and I stunned because the product at that time was unusable for me.  But in the weeks since then it has improved greatly and I hope it will continue after the "gold" release.  But since it is missing features and one member of the Logos team said they are aware of speed issues and are still tweaking, then even if Logos won't call it that, it really is a public paid beta. I think they should embrace it and let users feel like they are contributing to the cause instead of saying this thing is finished come and get it. We beta testers were like kids getting to help mom wrap brothers Christmas present. Even though I knew it wasn't ready there was a satisfaction that I was using it and helping make it better with every crash report and log posting.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:41 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

We beta testers were like kids getting to help mom wrap brothers Christmas present. 

Actually I felt like a kid being forced to help out in the garden while the other kids were inside watching cartoons

Posts 2653
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:43 AM

Damian McGrath:

Kevin A. Purcell:

We beta testers were like kids getting to help mom wrap brothers Christmas present. 

Actually I felt like a kid being forced to help out in the garden while the other kids were inside watching cartoons

To each his own.

As I said in another post, those who blaze the trail are cut by the thorns, but they also arrive first at the destiantion.

After many weeks I am really just now getting it and while I still consider this a beta I do like it and using 3 less.

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:50 AM

So, back to the topic... I have XP SP3, P4 2.4 GHz with HT (like that's helping), 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM HDD with 90 GB Free, (winpy, I know) 64 MB NVidia AGP card, and it takes forever to do anything. Like6-8 seconds before a button click is recognized. I tried turning of Use Internet, believing that constant syncing would slow things down, virtually no effect. Itried ununstalling and re-installing. No effect.

I was going to install on my laptop, which is significanly faster, Windows 7, Dual Core 1.6GHz, 7200 RPM SATA II, 2 GB RAM, Intel shared video (256MB)...

1. Is the program too big for the XP machine?

2. Do you think it will run satisfactorily on the Laptop?

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:55 AM

William,

do you have a firewall and antivirus running?

If so...exclude the Logos folders and files from being scanned....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:01 AM

I do have ESET AV on and Firewall running. I will try your suggestion.

Thanks.

Posts 11
elisha | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:44 AM

Thanks Robert. I tried to make AVG exception for Libronix

Posts 27
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 8:42 AM

elishakatamura:

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium, Intel Pentium Dual @2.16GHz, 2.00GB memory (Ram), 32-bit Operating System.

Your computer is not outdated yet!  You should still be able to run Logos 4 with those specks... my computer is similarly configured and it runs fine for me a few tips…  

Note to users experiencing the “Sluggish” problem I have reduced this problem I used to get it 8-9 times a day now I don’t I set logos to run as administrator… by adjusting the properties of the shortcut.

Right click Logos shortcut select properties Under the compatibility tab check the box “run this program as administrator”  Apply and ok the open the program this time it will give you a warning that the program wants admin rights and click ok then the program should run better only tried it on one computer… so let me know if it works for you… 

Second thing you should think about defragging your hard drive should help the data base for Logos is quite large and sometimes your computer does not fit it all neatly into the same area of your hard drive so as you are searching the computer is having to run two and fro to gather data.

Third thing you might look at is what the weakest link is.  Press (Control + Alt + Delete) then click “start task manager”.  On the Performance tab click “resource monitor …” it will ask you for admin permissions click continue.  There will be some bar graphs at the top of the page if you see one that is at max capacity this may lead you to the problem… if it is cpu look at what processes are using all the processing power likewise with memory and hard drive.  I found that Logos slows down when my virus scanner comes on the slowest thing is the hard drive because it is 5200 RPM it cant handle both applications so I use one or the other…

Josh

I have an HP Pavilion dv6500 Notebook PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.20 GHz and 2.00 GB Ram and I run Logos fine…
I am a husband, son, and I am an Arabic student. I have a Bachelors of Science in Information Technology.

Posts 11
elisha | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 2:22 PM

Thanks Josh. 

I set logos to run as administrator and it works slightly better. It is still very slow though. For example, in order to start, it takes 16 sec. In order to search "John 4:1-15," it takes 40 sec. 

I went to "Start task manager." Seems like when I use Logos, CPU gets highest, 100 %. I have no idea what that means though. 

Posts 300
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 2:37 PM

When I first started using 4 it was really slow for me as well.  The beta has improved the speed greatly though it still freezes sometimes when I try to do too much at once.  This leads me to think speed issues have more to do with the software than your computer.  

Posts 11
elisha | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 7:15 PM

If I compare Logos 4 to doing research by myself at the library, Logos is much much faster. I should appreciate it. The problem is that the Logos company says Logos 4 is faster than Logos 3, and it is not true at least with my computer. I still prefer Logos 3 for that reason. I like the visual of 4 though.  

Posts 291
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 9:06 PM

My system is faster now and I even have Power Lookup enabled in my layout!!  I saw in the Resource Manager that there was a lot of disk writing going on every time I touched Logos - History, Preference Manager, Fonts, etc.  Not only was Logos working but the Windows (Vista) Search Indexer was also working in the same folders.  I turned off Windows Search Indexing for those areas because I don't search my machine anyway.  I know where my stuff is and can still find it (somewhat slower) without indexing on, if I need to.  I'm happy to say that my system is much smoother and faster.  I'm actually looking for ways to make it slow now, trying out all of the tools and getting nice response. 

Changes so far include turning off the Tablet service, running the shortcut as Admin and this recent change.  This is getting better...

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 27
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 10:10 PM

elishakatamura:

Seems like when I use Logos, CPU gets highest, 100 %. I have no idea what that means though. 

Happy Thanksgiving… do you have any pie left?  If we think about your CPU like a pieces of pie let’s say that we had a big pie that we could divide into 10 pieces than each task would take from that pie. On my computer I am running several different applications MS Word is taking a slice of the pie Logos is taking two slices, Firefox is taking another slice, widows has a slice, my virus scanner has a slice all of these slices add up.  If you CPU is running at 100% that is like being out of pie at thanksgiving dinner someone is not going to be happy.  

From here, you have two options the first is not invite so many people to dinner i.e. close some applications, the second buy a bigger pie i.e. upgrade your CPU (or whole computer).  However, I know that your computer will run Logos if you can stop some of your other programs my CPU is 2.20ghz so it is slightly faster than yours but I am averaging 25% of CPU usage so there has to be something else eating too much pie on your system.  

No matter how big your pie is there are some people who just eat too much pie so I implore you to look through the list under the CPU section of your “Resource Monitor” look at any application whose average CPU usage is 1.0 or more.  For me AVG is listed 6 times as different applications of the same program it is taking a piece of pie and sharing it with his family but that is still a piece of pie.

Reminder to get to the “Resource Monitor” press (Ctrl + Alt + delete) then select “start task manager” on the Performance tab click “Resource Monitor” and at the prompt click continue.

For me the problem is not CPU but memory Logos takes 75% of my two gigs physical memory so I can’t run memory intensive applications at the same time.  Now if others of you are having the same issues of memory shortages there is a good fix you can add memory to your pc 2006 or newer older than 2006 I would look at a new pc before investing too much in your old pc but you can put memory in almost any pc it just takes money… Wink

I have an HP Pavilion dv6500 Notebook PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.20 GHz and 2.00 GB Ram and I run Logos fine…
I am a husband, son, and I am an Arabic student. I have a Bachelors of Science in Information Technology.

Posts 179
Trey Selman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 5:25 PM

Visual Filters do greatly affect performance.

If you have many set on (checked) or "all resources" or "all bibles" in the VF definition file then that could be an issue.

It was for me.

It did not solve all the performance sluggishness but it did move it in the right direction.

Still these should be able to work more efficiently on a relatively new machine.

Posts 38
jcc | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 11:18 PM

How did you change the settings for visual filters?

I have a <2 year old netbook (Intel Atom processor). I understand it if it's slow when I request to do some heavy duty searching or look up a resource. But what makes Logos 4 unacceptable on my computer is that when I want to just read something, it takes two seconds to scroll down a line. I wish that there is a way to turn off whatever background processing it is trying to do. I noticed that the information window pop up come up a lot faster than version 3 when I hover my mouse over something. But when I want to scan a book, the two second delay makes it un-useable.

Posts 27
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 11:47 PM

Logos 4 Help File: Visual Filters:

Visual Filters draw attention to specific categories of text or grammar in a resource.

• Click on the Visual Filter or ‘three lenses’ button on a resource toolbar to view the available visual filters for that resource.
• Turn visual filters on or off for each resource by clicking the toolbar button and selecting or deselecting the filter.
• Right click on a visual filter to "Show in all appropriate resources" or "Do not show in any resources."

I hope this helps you for more info press [f1] while in Logos and type “Visual Filters” in the search box and click search (Right arrow) there is a lot of good info in these help files...

Posts 27
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 12:53 AM

jcc:

I wish that there is a way to turn off whatever background processing it is trying to do.

First off Logos is vary flexible and you can turn off just about anything including the "start on home page".

JCC if you are willing try this close everything except your favorite scripture and then try scrolling.  Dose it delays then?  With just your Bible open, you probably are not having any issues. 

Most likely, there are several background processes that could be running this could lead in a drag in scrolling.  First check the link set of your books you may have several bibles linked together so when you scroll in one it is scrolling in the others. You could also have several commentaries or other books linked to your scripture so as you move through the scripture it is trying to fallow along in those other books. you may have the passage guide.  This would be searching through your whole library for passages you are scrolling through. Finally Exegetical guide following along this would be loading a side by side comparison in the original language. Needless to say if you had it linked to all of these resources your computer is working  vary heard to scroll through a passage.

Logos 4 Help File: Link set:
  Resources that are indexed by the same data type can be linked together so they navigate to the same reference at the same time.

For more checkout the following video on the Logos work flow… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdIwschfi-Q

Posts 48
GS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 4:24 AM

I've been working with Logos 4 for a few weeks now and think it's safe to offer the observation that Logos 4 simply isn't a very responsive software package.  I love the vision, am amazed at many of the tools and features and am deeply appreciative of the folks at Logos but as a consumer and end-user the sluggishness of the software is a decided negative.  Having to wait on the regular delays for Logos to "refresh" layouts or on slow scrolling of resources becomes frustrating when trying to perform serious research.  I'm not a tech-type but I have followed most of the suggestions regarding disabling background services and have upgraded my laptop to 4GB of memory (Intel Core2Duo T7250 @2.0GHz running 32bit Vista w/ 1GB available video memory) with only very minor performance gains.  Interestingly, my quad-core desktop doesn't run Logos4 much better.  Based on the fact I successfully run other software on my laptop despite barely meeting the minimum performance specs, I can only conclude the problem lies with Logos4.  For some reason Logos4 bogs down both the laptop and the quad core desktop the way no other software application does.  I'm not about to jump ship but I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that there are some significant tweaks needed to make Logos4 truly usable.

Gregg

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 5:28 AM

GreggShelton:

I've been working with Logos 4 for a few weeks now and think it's safe to offer the observation that Logos 4 simply isn't a very responsive software package.  I love the vision, am amazed at many of the tools and features and am deeply appreciative of the folks at Logos but as a consumer and end-user the sluggishness of the software is a decided negative.  Having to wait on the regular delays for Logos to "refresh" layouts or on slow scrolling of resources becomes frustrating when trying to perform serious research.  I'm not a tech-type but I have followed most of the suggestions regarding disabling background services and have upgraded my laptop to 4GB of memory (Intel Core2Duo T7250 @2.0GHz running 32bit Vista w/ 1GB available video memory) with only very minor performance gains.  Interestingly, my quad-core desktop doesn't run Logos4 much better.  Based on the fact I successfully run other software on my laptop despite barely meeting the minimum performance specs, I can only conclude the problem lies with Logos4.  For some reason Logos4 bogs down both the laptop and the quad core desktop the way no other software application does.  I'm not about to jump ship but I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that there are some significant tweaks needed to make Logos4 truly usable.

Gregg

Thank you for the very well natured critique. I too hope that over time L4 becomes more responsive. For me its not a deal breaker, for others it might be. However it was refreshing to read a "Houston, we have a problem" post that simply stated your impressions. I have certainly read others as well, so for those of you who have written similar critiques, thanks!

Page 2 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS