Page 1 of 5 (97 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 96 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 67
LogosEmployee
Bryan Albert | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 20 2009 5:48 PM | Locked

Logos 4.0a Beta Testing Guidelines

Important Information

IMPORTANT: Logos 4.0a Beta 1 is beta software. It may corrupt your computer or delete your data. The Passage Guide, searching, or viewing books may stop working. We recommend installing Logos 4.0a Beta 1 only on a dedicated testing machine.

Logos 4.0a cannot be installed side-by-side with Logos 4.0; it will replace your existing installation. (However, since Logos 4 uses a per-user installation, you can create a new Windows user account on your computer and install Logos 4.0a under that account for testing.)

Logos 4.0a cannot be downgraded to Logos 4.0. You will need to uninstall, delete all Logos4 folders, then reinstall Logos 4.0 if you no longer wish to run Logos 4.0a.

Do not share resources or Data folders between 4.0 and 4.0a Beta 1; the format of data files and (some) resources in 4.0a Beta 1 has changed, making them unreadable by 4.0.

Some documents in Logos 4.0a Beta 1 have changed their internal formats since the release of 4.0; these documents will not be synced to your 4.0 installation. The new types of documents that will be added to 4.0a (e.g., verse lists) will also not be synced. However, existing document types that haven’t changed their internal formats will continue to sync between 4.0 and 4.0a Beta 1.

Tips

If you don’t have a separate computer for testing, consider creating a new Windows user account for beta testing. Install the beta under that account, keeping the stable version on your regular Windows account. You can still log in with the same logos.com email and password to share your licenses and settings between the two accounts. You should not share Resources folders, as 4.0a may download resources that can only be read by 4.0a, which would corrupt your 4.0 installation.

How to Join the Beta

Run the special beta installer here: http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/InstallerBeta/Logos4Setup.exe

Posts 634
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 5:55 PM | Locked

Installed no problem... Any particular areas we need to look into testing out - Release Notes or anything that will let us know what to look for?

Posts 2167
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:20 PM | Locked

Is there anyplace that explains the changes and updates from 4.0? I would like to know what the changes are before installing. Specifically, will this require a reindex of the the library?

Posts 634
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:25 PM | Locked

John I can tell you that I did not need another indexing. I installed right after the posting and have been playing around to see if I see anything different until there are some Release Notes posted and have not come across anything really noticeable yet.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:38 PM | Locked

Bryan Albert:
If you don’t have a separate computer for testing, consider creating a new Windows user account for beta testing. Install the beta under that account, keeping the stable version on your regular Windows account. You can still log in with the same logos.com email and password to share your licenses and settings between the two accounts. You should not share Resources folders, as 4.0a may download resources that can only be read by 4.0a, which would corrupt your 4.0 installation.

Bryan,

On Windows 7 (must update my sig), I created a new account with administrative privileges. I downloaded and installed L4a. It installed and immediately on sign in it stopped working.

I logged off that account and entered my regular account. I was just going to delete v4 and install the new Beta. I went to my computer and saw the install directory for 4s (c:\Logos4a), I enetered it, double clicked on the .exe and it started immediately. I now have 4a running on my computer under my original user account .

I'm not sure what's happened...

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:38 PM | Locked

Frank Sauer:

John I can tell you that I did not need another indexing. I installed right after the posting and have been playing around to see if I see anything different until there are some Release Notes posted and have not come across anything really noticeable yet.

Look in program settings - there's the ability to turn off visual cues and visual bookmarks (wear marks)

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:44 PM | Locked

The "Cited By" tool....

Posts 5607
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:45 PM | Locked

The commentary section in the PG seems much faster to me (but the Bible Explorer commentaries section is still slow).  Is it just me?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:48 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:

The commentary section in the PG seems much faster to me (but the Bible Explorer commentaries section is still slow).  Is it just me?

Seemed fast enough to me...

I haven't used Bible Explorer for a while.

The collapsible sections are new aren't they? It remembers their state as well - Bravo!

Posts 1775
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:03 PM | Locked

Check out the new search results option: datasheet.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:07 PM | Locked

Phil Gons:

Check out the new search results option: datasheet.

I can't see that

Posts 634
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:09 PM | Locked

Phil, I ran a couple search function, but do not see anything labeled datasheet. Where would one find this function?

Posts 1775
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:16 PM | Locked

Damian McGrath:
I can't see that

Did you run a Bible search or morph search?

Posts 1775
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:19 PM | Locked

Frank Sauer:

Phil, I ran a couple search function, but do not see anything labeled datasheet. Where would one find this function?

It's a display option under Bible search and morph search.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:20 PM | Locked

Phil Gons:

Damian McGrath:
I can't see that

A basic search...

I've found it now...

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:20 PM | Locked

Phil Gons:

Damian McGrath:
I can't see that

A basic search...

I've found it now...

Posts 634
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:21 PM | Locked

I'll check it out as soon as I am done indexing...

Posts 1680
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:21 PM | Locked

The big new features are the "Datasheet" search analysis (presently only for Bible and Morph searches, but eventually for all searches), the new Cited By tool, and Explain the screen - F9. (Just hit F9 at any time to try it.)

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:39 PM | Locked

Check out the Interesting Words section of the Passage Guide. Cool new look.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 7:39 PM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:
Explain the screen

Very cool - more importantly, helpful for new users... I'm not sure about the orange flames....

Bob Pritchett:
Cited By tool

I still don't know why these tools are automatically set to follow when triggered by a right-click. It's so contrary to their function (plus can we please have a keyboard short cut to clear all links).

I like the ability to set different collections to be included... The collapsible state of the sections.

Compact view is excellent!

The ability to chose "By Book" -   thank you!!!!

But, there don't seem to be many resources listed...

Page 1 of 5 (97 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS