William Julius Mann "A Plea for the Augsburg Confession"

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1503

In 1855 an pamphlet was distributed around the General Synod of the Lutherans in this country.  This pamphlet included, among other things, an american re-write of the Augsburg Confession.  It caused quite a bit of discussion and protest, and in the end was rejected by almost all Lutherans.

The most well known attack on it was delivered by Phillip Schaff's old college roommate - William Julius Mann.  His response is a focused critique as well as an invitation to understand why the Augsburg Confession is so important to us Lutherans.

The text used is based on that of http://www.archive.org/details/apleafortheaugs00mannuoft.  I have added a few links to the Lutheran Confessions based on the current standard translation, as well as a few links to Luther's Works.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 11 2011 5:50 AM

Peace to you, Ken!

Thank you so very much!                   Will be reading this later today with great relish!              *smile*

God bless you for your Labours for Him and for sharing with us...........

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 28
Gerald Kapanka | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 7:09 AM

Thank you for using the time the Lord has given you to aid the Church with these resources. God give you His Peace.

Posts 1503
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 2:07 PM

Gerald Kapanka:

Thank you for using the time the Lord has given you to aid the Church with these resources. God give you His Peace.

To be honest, I would rather have a job - I have been unemployed for too long...  But glad to use the time for something.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 1503

Updated this one as well to us type links

Posts 1503

The main reason for this update is that Logos has an official edition of Schmucker's American Lutheran Church, and so I started looking at my older PB's for links to it.  While I was at it, I added a few more language tags, corrected a few missing itallics, and made the footnotes use the original marker (*) instead of numbers, and managed the headings a bit and a few other minor tweeks.

SDG

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 7:19 AM

Thanks, Ken!             *smile*                           Peace and Blessings to you!                Much appreciated!              SDG ....     Yes!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.