Black Friday Sale

Page 2 of 7 (128 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 127 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1
Anthony | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 8:37 AM

Hey, I have a question about the Black Friday Sale. Does my school discount add to the Black Friday discount? For instance the base packages are 15% off; would I then have my 30% discount on top of the 15% to make 45%; would I have a 30% discount off of the 15% price? How does that work?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 8:48 AM

Denise Barnhart:
But Lenski turned out to be a bit of luck. I'd been going through my Dad's Bible notes, which he 'published' for us kids (and grandkids). And frequently he referenced Lenski. Very nice 'Black Friday.

I had both Lenski and Lange commentaries on my wishlist for a long time. When I had a chance to buy one or the other Lenski won out. I wish Lange were on sale. Confused

I have not finished evaluating the Black Friday offerings but I have ruled out the Master Collection.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 12240
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 9:30 AM

Super Tramp:
Lenski

Yes, the price for Lenski is really good. I bought my set at the Forum sale back in June - (I'm glad I did, although the savings today are even greater)

Super Tramp:
I have not finished evaluating the Black Friday offerings but I have ruled out the Master Collection.

I looked into the NT collection - its main value comes IMHO from the Socio-rhetorical commentary set and the Discourse Analysis bundle, both of which I own. The books I consider as "someday I'll buy them anyway" don't add up to the collection price, I think.

I wish they had put NT Wright's http://www.logos.com/product/5223/christian-origins-and-the-question-of-god-series on the sale.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 8614
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 9:48 AM

I wish they had done Nelson's Reference Bundle for $399.95 like the third parties do...LOL...I sound like a broken record, but hey, as the Greek literally reads, "Keep on asking and it shall be given unto you..." ;-) Anyway, some day!

Good deals for those who don't have what they're offering.

Happy Thanksgiving!

DA

Posts 774
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 10:17 AM

All too pricy for my budget this year.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 10:57 AM

Well, of course, I ALWAYS do my homework (usually after I buy).

Carefully adding up each Lenski volume ... hmmm ... let's see ... almost $700.

Lenski set on Black Friday sale ... $199. Sounds like that little puppy's already on my PC!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 11:34 AM

Jerry Bush:
All too pricy for my budget this year.  Jerry

Dan Pritchett tweeted there were going to be at least three free Vyrso books Friday. We can all afford that.

Posts 2791
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 11:44 AM

If I could somehow get them to apply the amount of the included resources I have already bought in the last year as a first down payment to let me get the master bundle, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I just don't have any money floating around to let me do this right now. Sad

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 11:44 AM

NewbieMick:
Super Tramp:
Lenski
Yes, the price for Lenski is really good. I bought my set at the Forum sale back in June - (I'm glad I did, although the savings today are even greater)

I got Lenski on sale last February but I paid more for it than today's price. I think Lenski is the buy of the day.

Posts 34349
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 11:52 AM

Michael Ballai:
If I could somehow get them to apply the amount of the included resources I have already bought in the last year

You know they will give credit for things bought recently - not usually a full year but still worth an inquiry.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 1:22 PM

I'm afraid that I have to agree with many here. The sale was disappointing to me. If you are a relatively new Logos customer with some fairly deep pockets, I think it might be good. Neither apply to me. I already own many of the volumes in each of the bundles, and those I don't I wouldn't be all that interested in. Plus only two less than 100 bucks. That seems pretty steep. I wish there was more of a price spread, and less bundling. Maybe the three free Vyrso titles will be of interest, although I've not seen much in the Vyrso store yet that I find of interest. I've actually been scaling back my intended purchases with Logos and anticipate doing so more radically, recognizing that there are only a handful of works that I truly "need" or which will be sincerely be useful to me for what matters most.

I know that the bundling thing is very popular... and I agree that for some folks (maybe many) it can be a good way to build up a young library. But I hear people on the forums all the time talking about how much things work out "per volume" ("gosh! that's only $1 per book!!!")... but frankly, it sounds a lot to me like the emperor lacking clothes. Yeah, sure each volume is only a buck... but would you really  (c'mon let's be painfully honest) have bought those anyway? Would you really actively use those volumes with any kind of regularity? Maybe some would and will... and if so... that is truly GREAT!!!!  That THRILLS me! But for the vast majority, I think (and certainly for me)... it can be self-deception, and doesn't seem to be the best stewardship. I'd actually be paying lots of money I wouldn't otherwise have spent, to receive books I will almost certainly not use (or with such rarity that it's justification becomes questionable), all to purchase a few (in my case) volumes that I really, truly want, will without question use, and which will (honestly) have the potential to make a difference for eternity. And not just feed my desire for more. I have to recognize at some point that every dollar I spend or "invest" on Logos is a conscious choice not to spend a dollar or "invest" somewhere else. And I'm asking myself more and more what i'm being called upon by my Lord to invest in.

It's like the whole "value-added" argument that seeks to justify the overly high expense of public domain works because I can do all kinds of neat stuff with them in Logos. Really? Will I really DO that with these books? And are such "value added" benefits really and truly worth paying $50, $100, $200 extra? Or could I "sacrifice" this "value added" benefit in order to bless the poor, or support a missionary so that people who never have heard or never will hear about Jesus (let alone Logos) have an opportunity to be part of His family for eternity? When is enough enough? A beloved seminary professor of mine loved to say to us "Good, Better, Best... Never let it rest.... Until the good is better, and the better, best." 

Logos purchases are "good". Even... "better". Sometimes I have to ask myself, are they "best"? Is this the BEST use of my resources in light of eternity? And sometimes it is. And sometimes it isn't.

Please understand. I love Logos. Been blessed by Logos. Fully appreciate others will come to a completely different position than what I've just written... and THAT THAT IS PERFECTLY OKAY!!! Let each be sure in his own mind... and what might be wrong for one might not be for another. But just thought I'd throw in that perspective... from one on a difficult mission field on this particular Thanksgiving Day, very grateful for what I have been blessed with, which seems more than enough, and grieving for the lostness and suffering that I am finding here (on the field). Somehow, in light of that (and speaking FOR ME ALONE, IN MY SITUATION ALONE)... the sales seem kind of pointless and empty. 

I genuinely hope that it isn't that way for most of you others. And if that is the case, may the Lord richly bless every one of your Logos purchases for the sake of Christ's glory, the edification of the Saints, and the salvation of the lost!!!!

Absolutely no offense intended to anyone, or to any other perspectives. (bracing myself for the reaction!) :-)

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 1:42 PM

My depleted billfold is happy about the selection. Considering all the CPs that have gone through recently that I haven't had a chance to read, the large collection I have already, I spent a lot of money last Thanksgiving / Christmas on Logos and haven't read them all yet, and the fact that I don't have enough years left to read them all anyway I think I am contented. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and to all a good night.   

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 1:43 PM

By the way, before anyone might respond, and although it might sound contradictory, I would like to thank the Logos team that put the sale together. I AM confident that it will be a blessing to some... and who knows? Maybe many. I am imagining what it must have been like in whatever room the selection process must have taken place. I imagine that must have been a fun process, and I am very very sure that the intention and heart of those involved was to bless! I can imagine (well, maybe I can't) what a difficult job it must be to put together such bundles. Just because it's not my cup of tea this year, or raises some philosophical/stewardship questions about Logos purchasing decisions for me (and maybe others?) doesn't mean that Logos, the efforts and intentions of its fine staff, or its product are anything less than first-rate. I am DEEPLY thankful to all of you folks at Logos this year, as always. To carry my library on a small laptop wherever I go on the field is a huge blessing to me and to many. Thanks for your vision, your hard work, and your tremendous hearts for Christ. You guys are awesome.

I just didn't want any misunderstanding about any of that! :-) :-) :-)

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 1:49 PM

EmileB:

I just didn't want any misunderstanding about any of that! :-) :-) :-)

For sure!  For sure, Emile!            *smile*                    Peace to you!              and                Joy in the Lord -- always!

Thank you so much for your post.  You are absolutely correct!     Very sensitive, very caring, very compassionate -- and I thank God for your excellent insights and for sharing.  It would be so easy to overlook the great efforts of the Logos Staff, working under whatever restrictions they were working under.    

Hebrews 4:16

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1829
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 2:57 PM

EmileB:
I'm afraid that I have to agree with many here. The sale was disappointing to me.

You can include me here. I am not sure if it is just that my library has grown big enough (I can think of "no must haves" and only a few "like to have's) or if the sales just are not as enticing as they were in the past. During the last forums sale the only thing that was offered to me that I bought was the AYBD at a very good price compared to its normal price.

It also seems as if a lot of the products that I do hope to be on sale, Logos simply can not offer them on sale or refuse to.

Posts 2915
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 3:33 PM

Am I missing something?  Isn't the Black Friday sale price for the IVP New Testament Commentaries the same price that they always charge?  Now that is sneaky.

And still more than the cost in paper new from IVP.

Or perhaps I am in error?  It is very hard to know if there is really a significant discount because the listed discount is on a fraudulent non-existent price that neither Logos or anyone else on the planet earth charges.

I know, I keep making this same complaint.  Sorry about that.  It obviously bothers me a lot!

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 4:06 PM

I'm not sure what is wrong with the math, but the numbers don't add up. I think the actual volume count for the NT is 47, and the master collection is actually 158 volumes.

If anyone is interested, I can confirm that master collection is in fact exactly the same as the three bundles combined (based on the lists of resources).

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 4:12 PM

Well, Michael, I'm going to have to side with Logos this time.

The copy says 'great prices'. (The 'sale' verbiage is for the collections.)  So technically, all is ok. Especially if you're from Miami right now (4th quarter).

Now 'great' could be like 'Great' Caesars' Ghost! Here, the implication isn't that Caesar is 'great' nor that his ghost is really big. It simply means 'great'. Without 'great' the expression would not make sense. 'Caesar's ghost!'

As you see, 'great' really has no significance. You just can't say 'Prices!'.

But more seriously, what's there to say? What you see speaks for itself (pricing behaviors).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 4:21 PM

Lenski is of interest to me and the price looks very good. I have had the print set for decades and thought that I would add the Logos edition if it ever was offered at a very good price. That looks like now is the time.

I had picked up Schaeffer at a great March Madness (?) price a couple of years ago.

I have too much already of the "collections" already that I would be interested in to make them a bargain for me.

The other items aren't "would like to have" and "can't live without" pricing.

Posts 128
Simon Pleasants | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 5:34 PM

Michael Childs:

Am I missing something?  Isn't the Black Friday sale price for the IVP New Testament Commentaries the same price that they always charge?  Now that is sneaky.

Or perhaps I am in error?  

Judging from the page cached on Google for the IVP New Testament Commentaries they previously cost $269.95. If that is the case, it represents a saving of just over 30% relative to the usual price. Based on that saving, I have placed an order with my sales rep.

Michael Childs:

It is very hard to know if there is really a significant discount because the listed discount is on a fraudulent non-existent price that neither Logos or anyone else on the planet earth charges.

I know, I keep making this same complaint.  Sorry about that.  It obviously bothers me a lot!

I share your aversion to inflated retail prices. I have sometimes been nearly caught out by savings that are calculated based on the retail price rather than the usual price that is offered. I think they are like figures that appear in Josephus -- they should be taken with a large pinch of salt!

"Upon a life I did not live, Upon a death I did not die, Another's life, another's death, I stake my whole eternity"

Horatius Bonar

Page 2 of 7 (128 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS