Copy Bible Verse Command

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:35 AM

I'm trying to create my own style within the CBV command but am having problems doing so. It seems the syntax is not working properly. Or maybe I'm not completely clear on the format. See images below:

Now, when I change "FullPassageReference" to "ShortBookName", I get the following results. I've made no other chances and "ShortBookName" is an acceptable command. See below:

Why doesn't the passage header change according to my new specifications?

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:44 AM

Try the following command: (Instead of FullPassageRef put ShortPasageRef)

Bohuslav

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:48 AM

James Thompson:
I'm trying to create my own style within the CBV command but am having problems doing so. It seems the syntax is not working properly. Or maybe I'm not completely clear on the format. See images below:

It seems like it only works in the For Each Verse section. This should be noted in the help file or be made available in the header and footer section. Personally, I would go for more control.

Speaking of more control, is it possible in the future to designate alternating verses differently? For instance, I would love to be able to have the first verse start with "Leader:" and the next verse start with "People:", then alternate accordingly.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:00 AM

Philip Spitzer:
It seems like it only works in the For Each Verse section.

I have no clue what are you speaking about. I see the only problem that James used the wrong command ("ShortBookName" instead fo the correct one "ShortPassageRef").

Bohuslav

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:04 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I have no clue what are you speaking about. I see the only problem that James used the wrong command ("ShortBookName" instead fo the correct one "ShortPassageRef").

If you click on Help, and then Copy Bible Syntax, there is an option for ShortBookName. I believe it's intended purpose is for the Passage Text section so that you can put 1Pe 1:10 or such beside each verse, rather then simply putting it in the header or footer. You may very well be right in that what he was really looking for is a shorter reference, and not simply a shortened book name.

Posts 347
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:13 AM

I simply love the great flexibility of Copy Bible Verse...I can get - for the most part - exactly what I want (I feel like a Burger King commercial coming on!). I just wish there was an easier way for non-techies to get their hands dirty in customizing their own passages to copy.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:25 AM

Mitch Davis:

I simply love the great flexibility of Copy Bible Verse...I can get - for the most part - exactly what I want (I feel like a Burger King commercial coming on!). I just wish there was an easier way for non-techies to get their hands dirty in customizing their own passages to copy.

Maybe a thread should be started where people can paste a screen shot and the syntax text of their CBV custom formats for others to copy and learn from. Would there be interest in that?

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:44 AM

Thanks for all the comments but they haven't solved my problem. What I want to do is change the header so that it immediately precedes the first verse of any text in superscript form. So as I understand the syntax, I must use "ShortBookName" followed by "ChapterNum" and then place all that within <sup>...</sup>.

I'm looking for a result similar to the following format. I don't want the header on a separate line above the text.

Matthew 7:1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. 3 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye

Why can't I string "ShortBookName" followed by "ChapterNum"? They appear to be acceptable terms. This was possible in v3.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:48 AM

This will get you close, but you will have to delete the first verse's number.

%NoRedLetter
%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation

=Header
[FullPassageRef]

=ForEachVerse
<sup>[VerseNum]</sup> [VerseText]

=Footer
<p></p>

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:57 AM

James Thompson:

Thanks for all the comments but they haven't solved my problem. What I want to do is change the header so that it immediately precedes the first verse of any text in superscript form. So as I understand the syntax, I must use "ShortBookName" followed by "ChapterNum" and then place all that within <sup>...</sup>.

I'm looking for a result similar to the following format. I don't want the header on a separate line above the text.

Matthew 7:1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. 3 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye

Why can't I string "ShortBookName" followed by "ChapterNum"? They appear to be acceptable terms. This was possible in v3.

To get a short Book name at the beginning of the reference looks to be as follows:

%NoCharFormatting
%NoRedLetter
%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation

=ForEachVerse
<p>[ShortVerseRef] [VerseText]</p>

To make it <sup> does funny things, so I don't know... (It does not influence the capital letter and other things)

EDIT: It looks strange in the CBV but it shows OK in the MS Word, after copied there.

Bohuslav

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:24 AM

Peter & Bohuslav,

Thanks for your suggestions but none of those actually produce the desired result. I should be able to easily produce the desired results with the previously suggested string "ShortBookName" followed by "ChapterNum" and then place all that within <sup>...</sup>. (BTW, <sup>...</sup> is also problematic as it produces some unintended results also.)

In any event, I should be able to accomplish this in the =Header section alone. I shouldn't have to change the =ForEachVerse section at all.

I sure hope someone from Libronix is monitoring this post.....  This is obviously a program or syntax shortcoming in the application.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:26 AM

James Thompson:
I sure hope someone from Libronix is monitoring this post.....  This is obviously a program or syntax shortcoming in the application.

I agree. I don't think what your looking for is possible right now. I think its probably supposed to be (aka its a bug) but I do think it should be.

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:35 AM

Philip Spitzer:

I agree. I don't think what your looking for is possible right now. I think its probably supposed to be (aka its a bug) but I do think it should be.

Hey Philip, sorry I mangled your name... that's the second time I've done that, if you recall I once spelled your name Phillip -- my bad! I do think this is a bug. Perhaps it will be fixed in a SR soon.

Posts 179
Trey Selman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:37 AM

This should get close to what you want...

You may have to delete the first verse number after the reference and you will not have paragraphs in long passages. The CBV tool does need some work, there are certainly limitations and a few bugs.

%NoRedLetter
%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation

=Header
<sup>[FullPassageRef]</sup>

=ForEachVerse
<sup>[VerseNum]</sup> [VerseText]

=Footer

The superscript may not look right in the sample pane of the CBV tool, but it will look correct when you paste it in the destination.

Also, it does appear that some of the replacement tokens only work in the =ForEachVerse section e.g. [ShortBookName], [ChapterNum], [VerseNum]

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 7:01 AM

James Thompson:
Hey Philip, sorry I mangled your name... that's the second time I've done that, if you recall I once spelled your name Phillip -- my bad! I do think this is a bug. Perhaps it will be fixed in a SR soon.

Peter, Philip...I have respect for them both :-)

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 7:27 AM

Hi James,

I've reported this to development to check whether this is possible, and the Help document needs to be revised to describe how to accomplish it. I'll update this thread when I have more information.

Thanks,
Melissa

Posts 110
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:07 AM

I don't intend to hijack this thread, but since it is about CBV and it got Melissa's attention I thought I would ask.

Are any of you able to put more than 1 passage selection in the CBV box and get it to Copy and Paste?, i.e., Mat 11:28; Joh 3:16; Rev 1:5?

When I type a series of verses in the box it always reverts to the verse open in my Bible. I can type in Joh 3:15-19 and that works o.k., but if I try to put any other verse in it goes back to the active verse in my Bible.

Edit: After posting this I noticed the Mat & Rev verses are active, but Joh 3:16 is not. So I went back to CBV and found that one has to type in the full name John in order for it to be brought up in CBV, but still cannot add any other verse selections. Also, my Enter key does nothing, nor clicking on the Arrow.

Posts 347
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:07 AM

James Thompson:
 Why doesn't the passage header change according to my new specifications?

James,

I believe this is a glitch in this feature of the program. Most of the "Replacement Tokens" do not work in the header. If it is working, then the Help file needs to delineate what can or cannot go into the header.

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:13 AM

Mitch Davis:

I believe this is a glitch in this feature of the program. Most of the "Replacement Tokens" do not work in the header. If it is working, then the Help file needs to delineate what can or cannot go into the header.

Mitch,

I agree! If the replacement tokens actually worked then there'd be no problem. This was easy enough in v3 and now since someone's looking at it I think the matter will be resolved quickly.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 3:30 PM

James H. Schafer:
Are any of you able to put more than 1 passage selection in the CBV box and get it to Copy and Paste?, i.e., Mat 11:28; Joh 3:16; Rev 1:5?

Nope, but we've been whining about it :-)

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS