Controlling what pane a resource opens in

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:26 AM

Open books in tabs with associated types is OK, but when i set the 'Send hyperlinks here', i would like opened items sent to that window.

And if i have a window set with 'Send hyperlinks here' , then set another window with 'Send hyperlinks here' it should remove the setting of 'Send hyperlinks here' from the previous. (i.e. only one window can have this set at a time. The system probably already does this).

In other words, use an improved version of your smart destination window placement when the user has not tried to override placement. But when the user overrides placement, follow their request.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 3
Rev. Ryan M. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:28 AM

I also have not figured out how to make the space blank upon startup--my default setting in version 3, and much beloved!

Posts 24
Larry Schmid | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:15 AM

Bob Pritchett:

The system tries to automatically put similar resources together in tiles.

A) The Passage Guide in 3.0 had its own private logic that "forced" commentaries into the lower right window, and forced replacement over opening another window. We did not do that in 4.0 because we thought the new tab system made it less important to prevent new windows. Did we get this wrong?

I like the new behavior since I don't mind so many open resources, but (and there always is one :) there are performance issues on older hardware once too many tabs are open.  Also, the old L3 habit of having one resource open, like a Bible, then rolling through all my favorite Bibles in the same pane with the arrow keys is greatly missed.  I know PRAs have been slated to return (thank you) but I thought I would mention it in this context because it was a useful way to take contain system load.

Bob Pritchett:

B) Other than data types, is there some logic we could use to encourage smarter default window assignment, or even to "train" the system? The current implementation groups based on similarity of metadata -- title, author, subjects, description, etc. Should we put a much higher "weight" on datatype? On resource type? When you see something go to the "wrong" tile, can you guess what caused it and / or describe why it should have preferred another one?

Should your previous manual placement of two resources in the same tile be remembered as a "vote" for locating them together in the future?

A trainable system sounds interesting.  I like the idea but I confess to often dragging a resource to the first handy pane, so I would need training too.  How would mistraining be handled?  Can a 'reset to default' be implemented on a per-resource basis or does that stray too far into complexity?

AKA WillyBurger

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 11:46 AM

Rev. Ryan M.:

I also have not figured out how to make the space blank upon startup--my default setting in version 3, and much beloved!

Ryan,

On the home page click "customize" in the lower left corner and then unclick the "Show home page at Startup." You can also have it re-open to the last layout you were in, if you unclick that and close with open resources.

Chris

Posts 3
Rev. Ryan M. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 11:55 AM

Oh, thank you! :)

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 4:51 PM

Bob Pritchett:
A) The Passage Guide in 3.0 had its own private logic that "forced" commentaries into the lower right window, and forced replacement over opening another window. We did not do that in 4.0 because we thought the new tab system made it less important to prevent new windows. Did we get this wrong?

Sorry but absolutely yes. I don't necessarily like it being forced to lower right as in v. 3, but I do not want to open 12 commentaries at a time. I don't work that way.  I find it is best go go all the way through the passage in a commentary and then go back. You get repetition this way.

Also another v.3 behavior I like is a Passage guide that opens the preferred bible too.

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 7:47 PM

steveclark:
Open books in tabs with associated types is OK, but when i set the 'Send hyperlinks here', i would like opened items sent to that window.

Hyperlinks are a different matter than opening a book. A hyperlink is if you click on a Bible reference in a commentary and you want a particular Bible to show the passage.

I have one window open for English Bible, another for Greek/Hebrew, another for commentaries, another for searches, another for lexicons, etc. I want a new commentary to go into the commentary window, which it usually does. I think that is the basic plan. But it is wierd how sometimes a new Bible or commentary opens in the Information window, which is too narrow to be of much use.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:04 PM

Harry Hahne:
Hyperlinks are a different matter than opening a book. A hyperlink is if you click on a Bible reference in a commentary and you want a particular Bible to show the passage.

I see. I guess that i would like a similar control for steering books to open in a window that i designate (override the default).

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:26 PM

A simple solution for where windows open - have an option for selecting manually instead of (or in addition to) learning (as Bob P mentioned earlier in the thread).  Simply click on the pane where you want the next resource to open, hold down a key and click on the link to force it open there.  Sounds simple enough...

As for the X to close a single resource, use the same idea.  Clicking the X would close just a single resource while holding the key X and clicking X in the pane would close the whole pane and all resources.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:16 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:
It would be nice as well, unless I have missed it, to be able to start with a blank work space.

Yes please. I always started v3 blank...

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:22 PM

Damian McGrath:

Donovan R. Palmer:
It would be nice as well, unless I have missed it, to be able to start with a blank work space.

Yes please. I always started v3 blank...

On the home page, click the Customize button on the lower left and uncheck the "Show Home Page at Start Up" However you close L4 then it will open that way - blank or with the layout you had when you closed.

Chris

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:29 PM

I may be fantasizing, but it seems to me, that when I make a window active (just click on it) and then open a resource, it goes to the active window.  If I want a resource in a different place, I can move it or else, click on that window to become active and then select a resource, which opens in THAT window.

Am I just dreaming, or did this actually work?  I am thinking it did work for me.

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:25 PM

Dan Sheppard:
it seems to me, that when I make a window active (just click on it) and then open a resource, it goes to the active window.  If I want a resource in a different place, I can move it or else, click on that window to become active and then select a resource, which opens in THAT window.

That would be good, but it does not work that way in my experience. Just now, I clicked on a docked window, but the resource opened in a floating window that I had open from yesterday's work.

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 6:31 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
I do not want to open 12 commentaries at a time. I don't work that way.  I find it is best go go all the way through the passage in a commentary and then go back.

Personallly, I like that commentaries open up next to other open commentaries in that panel.  I can easily click them off if I am done, but I like seeing which ones I have opened.  I also like being able to use the title bar (? right description?) to click on the exact resource, rather than scrolling through several, trying to remember where things were.  For that matter, you can just scroll through an open commentary if you have prioritized (or "prioritised" for my non-USA friends . . . ) and you will be taken to your next prioritized commentary.

It would seem simple to have a setting option: "open new resource in separate tab" or "open new resource over current resource" (however it is worded)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 27
M Luper | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 7:15 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Yes, I believe so. I have only been using Logos 4 for a few days and truly miss the ability to have commentaries replace one another in a window as I am searching through them. Opening up a new window each time is problematic in that I have to go back through to close them.

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 7:31 AM

M Luper:
Opening up a new window each time is problematic in that I have to go back through to close them.

that is a bit of a pane . . . (sic) . . . especially if a resource is immediately non-useable.  but I do like to refer back and forth at times between commentaries.  Perhaps have the option to open in new tab.. . . which we do in a sense if we click on the "+" tab--and choose from the prioritized commentary list. 

I don't want to automatically have it replace.  I am often in a commentary--and not done with it--and I want to get some other input from another commentary, I don't want it replacing, I want it either in another tab in teh same pane or perhaps to a new pane, which I can easily set up.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 6:17 PM

I think the answer is to have options on how a new commentary is opened. By right-clicking on the commentary in the passage guide (or key sequences) give us the options "open in new pane" "open as new tab in commentary pane"  or "over-write tab in commentary pane"

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 3:33 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Also another v.3 behavior I like is a Passage guide that opens the preferred bible too.

Yes Yes

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 4:40 AM

Certainly remembering where a resource was last time around would be good. Yesterday I closed a resource by mistake then immediately reopened it,  but it appeared in a different pane.

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:41 PM

I've got a couple of different solutions for this issue than have been mentioned thus far (at least as far as I can tell from my quick glance at this thread, please forgive me if someone has already mentioned these and I missed it).

Now that the Parallel resource icon allows switching between parallel resources within a tab, I think a better use of the + button would be to open an instance of the library search tool in the pane instead of an additional choice of parallel resources.

That way, it would be possible to specify whatever resource you wanted to open in whatever pane you wanted to open it.

Of course, the library or Parallel resources could be chosen by right clicking on the + button if there were enough need for both.

Another idea might be to simply force resources opened in the command line to go to the pane that is currently selected as the focused pane.
The panes currently allow you to change their focus by clicking on a tab in the pane. Pane focus is currently indicated by a distinctive drop shadow.

I think either of these ideas would be preferable to the current solution. I'm not sure any inherent logic of the program would ever be able to predict the peculiarities of where I want a resource to open.

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS