Logos 4 Base Packages

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 24 2011 4:12 PM

Hello

I am a Logos 4 user. I have the Scholar's Platinum edition. I have been offered an upgrade to the Portfolio edition. It looks good but I cannot afford it!!

I would like to introduce a friend to Logos by purchasing the base package for him as a Christmas gift. The Christian Home price is listed at $127.46. However, in the email which I received encouraging me to upgrade from Platinum I was offered a Minimal Crossgrade for $69.95. Can someone explain the difference between Christian Home and Minimal Crossgrade? If I purchase either for my friend how, practically, do I accomplish this so that my friend can download the software and load the material onto his desktop?

Happy Christmas to Logos users everywhere from Northern Ireland.

God bless.

George Ruddell

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 4:20 PM

You want the Christian Home Library, the minimal cross grade was only for someone who owned Logos 3 and wanted to cross over to Logos 4, since your friend doesn't have Logos it won't work.

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 7:12 PM

George,

You'll need to call sales to work out buying this for your friend so he can download it.

The minimal cross-grade will work. It was designed for Logos 3 users, but can be a way to start with Logos. Here is a link to the description: http://www.logos.com/minimalcrossgrade

Note that without the NIV, NLT,  ESV and NRSV Bibles, the reverse interlinears for those will not work. Your friend will have the six English Bible listed with reverse interlinear function in the KJV and Lexham English Bible (may the AV 1873?). In addition he will get many tools that aren't in the Christian Home Library.

The Christian Home Library will give him 14 Bibles but no reverse interlinears, which come in at the Bible Study Library level. He'll have a basic commentary or two and a set of maps. He won't have Biblical Places, Things, and People or Timelines.

Its a tough call.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 7:22 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize it would work. If there is anyway to get both it would be good, maybe sales can work something out Monday.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 8:20 PM

If was purchasing Logos new, the combination of Scholar's Gold and Christmas 2011 Master Collection appears more attractive than Portfolio because Master collection includes many Platinum and Portfolio resources plus much more.

With Christmas Credit, if purchase 2011 Masters collection, seems prudent to spend bit more to reach $ 2,500 level that has $ 1,000 credit (vis spending $ 2,211 for Masters collection with $ 663.30 credit, additional expenditure of $ 289 increases credit by $ 336.70).  With payment plan $ 2,500 + $60 amounts to $ 213.33 monthly while receiving $ 2, 500 of resources now plus $ 1,000 more in future (possibly in January).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 12162
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 4:09 AM

Hello George,

George Ruddell:
Can someone explain the difference between Christian Home and Minimal Crossgrade?

Yes. the Minimal Crossgrade (MC) is a small base package which contains the L4 functionality including the licences to most of the reverse interinears plus the media resources that were new in L4 from L3. MC makes sense if one either builds a library from individual resources and bundles (that's what I did so far) or when someone carries on a library they had from L3. Thus, the MC will work - and should you choose to buy it, have your friend add to it whatever free/near free resources they find (look at http://wiki.logos.com/Free_Logos_Books , shop at third parties e.g. for Nelson "eBible" packages). Coupled with the right additional resources, MC is the starting point to do in L4 whatever one is after.  

The Christian Home (CH) package however is a different thing, it's a package that should be "complete" in the eyes of its target audience.

I enhanced the Base Package Comparison sheet (see here where it came from: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/42304.aspx ) with additional colums to facilitate comparison. The shee right now filters all things that are contained either in MC or in CH. then You can easily see the resources/functionality contained in one but not the other.3250.Logos Package Comparison in one sheet.2.xlsx 

MC has above CH the licences for nearly all Reverse Interlinears, has biblical Places, People and Things plus Images, Maps and Timelines. CH on the other hand has some basic resources from many areas (commentaries, bible studies, devotionals...). 

Hope this helps,

Mick

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 4:17 AM

Hello Mick

Thanks for your detailed and helpful reply. I very much appreciate your guidance. I have one more question. Are there any disadvantages to purchasing the MC product in terms of upgrading straight to, for example, Scholar's Library? Would I be better to go for CH if my friend intended to upgrade to a bigger library edition?

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my original query.

Happy Christmas.

George

Posts 12162
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 4:53 AM

George Ruddell:

Thanks for your detailed and helpful reply. I very much appreciate your guidance. I have one more question. Are there any disadvantages to purchasing the MC product in terms of upgrading straight to, for example, Scholar's Library? Would I be better to go for CH if my friend intended to upgrade to a bigger library edition?

George,

as Logos allows one to upgrade, paying CH now will entitle to a discount for getting e.g. Scholar's later. The MC page doesn't talk about future discounts, however my "upgrade calculator" offers a percentage throughout the year. If one were to go to Scholar's either way in the future, since your friend is a scholarly minded person, I'm not sure if it was a good idea to start with CH right now, rather trake MC and invest into some resources to have him/her experience the research power of Logos (such as looking up Greek words in the currently heavy-discounted TLNT, drilling the "exegetical fallacies" DA Carson claims in his seminal book to the original texts etc.)

That's my thoughts,

all the best for Christmas!

Mick 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 10:07 AM

Hello again Mick

I am going to, I think, buy Christan Home for my friend. How do I do this in a way that allows the product to be registered to him, not me?

I would appreciate a quick reply.

Thanks for your help so far.

George

Posts 33842
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 1:11 PM

George Ruddell:
How do I do this in a way that allows the product to be registered to him, not me?

You need to go through the sales department and give them his email address.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS