Peter Abelard: Historia calamitatum

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1486

I wanted to take a break from specifically Lutheran writings and looked over at CCEL for something interesting.  I have a weakness for Christian Biography and remembered reading this long ago. Often it is hard for us to get a handle on medieval theology,  While Abelard is hardly representative of the mainstream, he does passionately communicate his excitement and interest in issues that were contested in that day, and as the introduction and appendix point out, are still with us today.

The text is a cut and paste from the web version on CCEL.  I have added page numbers from Google Books and lined up chapter headings so it should work in Logos.

It appears that the sequel to this - namely the letters between Abelard and Heloise are in a Community Pricing collection, but to the best of my knowledge this work is not included there.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 8808
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 9:07 AM

Thanks!

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 176
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 1:40 PM

Just a quick glance thorugh the text shows plenty of scriptural references and tags that could be added. IMO this document is nice but still needs some work.

Posts 1486

It was meant to be a quick port from CCEL.  I have cleaned up the scripture references a bit for you.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 4:53 PM

R. Quanstrom:

IMO this document is nice but still needs some work.

Be our guest. Smile

Posts 18075
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 5:11 PM

Awesome! Thank you Kenneth. Love that word "yclept"! Smile

I found a cover image for it at http://openlibrary.org/works/OL2936068W/Historia_calamitatum

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 9 2012 2:29 PM

Peace, Ken and Rosie and all!           *smile*                     and                    Always Joy in the Lord!

Please let me add my thanks to both of you.  I am quite interested in persuing this as it is unfamiliar to me!

Psalm 130:5 Psalm 130:6 

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.