New Interpreter's Bible (12 Vols.) - Pre-Publication Examples

Page 7 of 14 (272 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
This post has 271 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 6 2012 5:10 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Current pre-order progress:

Noticed "Almost there!" progress change => http://www.logos.com/product/8803/new-interpreters-bible yet still needs more pre-orders to change status to "Under Development"

Keep Smiling Smile

It is great it is going up, and that also you notice all 94 contributors are acknowledged rather than 18 (which i remember one person saying lack of contributors was one reason they were not even going to consider it). It will be in Logos sooner or later but I bet you would find many more considering Logos if it was there… In 6 months or so when it is out in a few different platforms Logos might find people saying I am going togo elsewhere.

-Dan

Posts 98
JJ Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 11 2012 1:56 PM

I am not quite sure why this title isn't on a fast track to publication. Perhaps Logos wants to hold this up in hopes of gaining more initial orders.  Regardless, I think it is a major commentary (even if it is not always in my camp theologically) with so much good.  I see all these "classic commentaries" series and dead white pastors and theologians series that get right through the process... but an important work like NIB is stil floundering?  Logos should have produced the latter, without neglecting the former.   :) 

I just hope we don't lose potential users who go to other software in order to get NIB in a usable format. 

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:15 PM

Boggles my mind too.. I know that they have a business plan but to me it's like a butcher shop introducing vegetarian foods, and then wondering why their customizers are not preordering the vegetarian items. Logos' primary customers are various conservative Christians, they obviously should not neglect them but with a few of the pre pub items they should step out in faith a bit. and say these are going attract people wanting other options. There are a great many people who will buy a finished product but are not going to pre-order something. Indeed I have heard of people dropping their order to do an online subscription model. To me I want to own the item and easily use it without an internet connection. Logos does offer a good amount of items of a more "mainstream" christian publications but when people compared to the massive amount of items for more conservative Christians and little for themselves. I use many items from both sides I am far more conservative than many pastors i know.

-dan

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:23 PM

JJ Miller:
I am not quite sure why this title isn't on a fast track to publication. Perhaps Logos wants to hold this up in hopes of gaining more initial orders.  

It may not all be Logos' decision.  We don't know what requirements Abingdon has placed in terms of a minimum number of pre-orders, etc.

I do know that Abingdon has been very luke-warm about releasing their material for publication in Logos format.  I have called and written them a number of times urging them to release more material for publication in Logos format, especially the Bicentennial Edition of Wesley's Works.  I get the definite impression that some of their people are not interested in doing this.  It seems likely that the NIB and NIBD are some what of a test as to the interest / profit of releasing Abingdon resources through Logos.

Also, it is not Logos' fault that more Progressive pastors - Abingdon's biggest market - are not very interested in Bible software.  However, the New Interpreters' Bible has much to offer more conservative pastors, (for example N. T. Wright, James Dunn, Walter Kaiser, and others).  This is a much more balanced Bible Commentary than many realize.  It is a tremendous resource.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:18 PM

It is true we do not know the terms set by abingdon.  But considering  everything in the NIB family other than the 12 volumes has been released already in Olivetree with NO PREPUBLICATION (Study Bible, One Volume commentary and 5 volume dictionary). So this leaves me feeling that Abingdon is not opposed to their products being produced. I value greatly all contributors to the NIB, both conservative and more liberal ones. This is as far as I am concerned the ONE commentary everyone should start with. Accessible enough for any layman, but offering enough for any scholar to gain insight from it. You are very right to say it's a tremendous resource. and it does look like at least a couple more orders may have been placed when I asked Catholic Logos users to consider it. It is a set all Christians can benefit from.

-Dan

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 12 2012 3:31 AM

Dan Francis:
I know that they have a business plan but to me it's like a butcher shop introducing vegetarian foods, and then wondering why their customizers are not preordering the vegetarian items. Logos' primary customers are various conservative Christians, they obviously should not neglect them but with a few of the pre pub items they should step out in faith a bit. and say these are going attract people wanting other options.

I agree 110%.  If Logos wants to expand their customer base, they need to offer items that is going bring in new customers.  I think they are hoping that the FSB faithlife website will do this, but I am not convinced it will.

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 12 2012 4:29 PM

Logos,

Please, please, PLEASE put this into production before people give up waiting and go elsewhere.

It's been so close for so long!

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2012 7:59 AM

Dan Francis:
It is true we do not know the terms set by abingdon.  But considering  everything in the NIB family other than the 12 volumes has been released already in Olivetree with NO PREPUBLICATION (Study Bible, One Volume commentary and 5 volume dictionary). So this leaves me feeling that Abingdon is not opposed to their products being produced.

I believe that you are right and I was mistaken.  I have come to this conclusion because I just saw how many Abingdon products have been released through VYRSO.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2012 9:41 PM

Hopefully Logos can see how important ant it is for them to bring this to market, if they wish to gain market share. As pointed out it in another thread it has something for most everyone. Some of the top evangelical scholars contributed as well as top scholars of many persuasions (including Lutheran, Church of England (Anglican), Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian).

-Dan

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2012 7:27 PM

BUMP

Posts 149
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 11:00 AM

I'm simultaneously eager to order this resource, and reluctant to do it this way.

Here's the thing: However reasonable the asking price may be, it's still a lot of money for most folks. In my compensation package, I have a $200 budget for buying books each year. I've got another $400 for "professional expenses" that I could maybe get away with using for books, too. That means this one purchase will account for essentially all off my available funds for the year.

That would be manageable if I could just buy the NIB outright and be done with it. But because this is a slow, grinding prepub, I have absolutely no idea when my credit card is going to suddenly get hit with a $500 charge. I think that's what's going on in the heads of people who say they're waiting until it's published before they'll buy it - it's too big a purchase to commit to at some ambiguous date in the future.

And there's always the risk, as many have noted before, that an unholy coincidence of publication enthusiasm will result in several of my prepubs and community items coming out in rapid succession! It's not just that folks like me need to plan for this single resource - it's that if we need to consider the total potential effect of everything we've bought into on our bank accounts. It's difficult to make a commitment to an expensive resource, and then to feel comfortable doing any of the other interesting deals.

True, some people might be able to order the prepub and then sock away the money from this year's budget until whenever it finally goes to press. But most of us have to show some sort of a receipt to get reimbursed - one that we won't have until publication. And besides, it's galling to blow an entire year's worth of book and professional funds with nothing to show for it at all.

The prepub and community pricing have done a great job of taking uncertainty out of the equation for Logos, and that's a great thing. But they've created a very unstable situation for users who would like to participate in prepubs and community offers. Except for the few people who have lots of liquid assets, it's very difficult to commit to something like NIB, no matter how much I'd like to. (And I'd love to move from the paper copies on my shelf to a digital set.)

Somehow Logos has got to come up with a way for it not to be scary to click on the prepub button for items like this. Maybe by offering a multi-month payment window once the item is published. Or offering a plan like utilities do that lets us spread our costs evenly over the year, so there's no single WHAM moment when a publication drops. I don't know if anything like this is achievable. But until something changes, it's going to be hard to convince many people to commit large sums of money to be charged at some ambiguous date down the road.

A real shame. I want my NIB. I just can't figure out a way to make it OK for me to order it.

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 11:39 AM

Does anyone know if Logos has ever considered letting users somehow reserve for later purchase a few items at pre-pub and community prices?

This would be different from buying with a payment plan, as you would not get access to the item until you actually purchased it. Perhaps they could let you lock in the pricing on a maximum of say 3 to 5 items at any given point. You would then have 6 months to 1 year after it shipped to purchase it at that price, or else that price would expire.

I think this would be a helpful way to give people some more flexibility about locking in prices on items that they are likely to buy, but aren't sure of just yet or need more time to see if they can afford it.

My hope would be that Logos would get enough additional orders from this to offset any costs from items that were reserved but never purchased.

Just an idea...

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 12:27 PM

Well I had an issue not being able to afford a couple items that were coming due in july…. I emailed a logos sales rep who kindly put them onto my monthly payment plan.

-Dan

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 4:39 PM

Logos any idea at all when we will be seeing this under contract? 

-Dan

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 5:54 PM

I'm really disappointed that Logos has not weighed in on this discussion yet.  This thread has been going on for a long time and has had so much attention, yet Logos remains silent on it.  They did change the price, but made no comment on this thread.  Many of us still have questions and issues about this prepub, but still Logos is silent.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 6:10 PM

Rev Chris:
This thread has been going on for a long time

Yes, it has.  Don't you think it's about time to drive a stake through its heart?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 6:37 PM

Hmm...does that mean the NIB is a vampire? ;)

But seriously, as long as Logos stays behind the market on this one, then, no, I don't think we should let the issue die.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 6:41 PM

Rev Chris:

Hmm...does that mean the NIB is a vampire? ;)

But seriously, as long as Logos stays behind the market on this one, then, no, I don't think we should let the issue die.

Perhaps some of us are getting tired of it appearing in our email.  I think I'll make it an automatic delete hereafter.  It wouldn't matter even if it were my favorite author, I'm tired of it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 6:44 PM

You can always hit the "stop sending me emails" link at the top of the thread.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2012 3:37 AM

Rev Chris:

You can always hit the "stop sending me emails" link at the top of the thread.

As you must know, that link only appears if someone's first clicked on the Email me when someone replies link. Do you seriously think George has deliberately chosen to subscribe to this thread? 

Rev Chris:
I'm really disappointed that Logos has not weighed in on this discussion yet.

Do they even know about it? They generally have better things to do with their time than to read threads whose titles clearly indicate that they are meant for other users. If you want Logos' attention you need a heading that catches their eye.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 7 of 14 (272 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS