The Works of Charles Wesley (22 vols.) PLEASE LOWER BIDS UNTIL IS NOT TOO LATE

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 18860
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 10:51 AM

Mike Pettit:

Slava Novik:

The Works of Charles Wesley (22 vols.) is currently $90. Who in the world places such ridiculous price. 

$90 is cheap, people pay double that for half the volumes on pre-pub, people low balling valuable resources is killing community pricing.

Why do you think it is killing community pricing? I think it's the opposite. Resources with high bids routinely get stuck in the pipeline. Are you worried that Logos will pull the plug on this program if we're banding together to get lower prices? Logos gets the same amount in total to bring the book into production whether a few people bid a lot or lots of people bid a little, so they shouldn't care. Once it goes over the top into pre-pub, they can set the price at whatever they like.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:02 AM

Mike Pettit:

Slava Novik:
  The Works of Charles Wesley (22 vols.) is currently $90. Who in the world places such ridiculous price.   
 $90 is cheap, people pay double that for half the volumes on pre-pub, people low balling valuable resources is killing community pricing.  

Mike, I respectfully disagree with you. While I won't call $90 a ridiculous bid for this resource, I think the Community Pricing program is very healthy.and somewhat fun to watch. 

Now if you are urgently wanting John Gill or this Wesley Collection I can see you advocating everyone raise their bids to $120. But I am afraid it is the high bid crowd keeping the Classic Commentaries on Revelation from progressing.  A "win-win" bidding strategy would be to find a middle ground.and entice moderately interested bidders. (The nickle-increment bidders may be left out in the cold. Or could it be they just like to bid but not buy?)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1010
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:03 AM

My worry is that very worthy resources get stuck because people are not making what I see as a realistic (i.e. that will balance demand and cost) bids, of course people must bid no more than they would be willing to pay but I believe people are bidding much less than they are willing to pay due to the prevailing attitude that any bid over $40 is madness. The reason whay I feel this is happeneing is the mismatch between pre-pub and community pricing expectations.

The problem as I see it is many projects will never make it to pre-pub, even though they are very valuable.

Posts 1454
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:19 AM

Mike Pettit:

....I believe people are bidding much less than they are willing to pay due to the prevailing attitude that any bid over $40 is madness. The reason whay I feel this is happeneing is the mismatch between pre-pub and community pricing expectations.

I give my apologies for calling it "ridiculous", i will edit and change. Please understand me, I am not trying to underestimate the value of Charles Works. I just think that when it is open for public, $90 is too much. I dont want to see this set freezing with a high price as the Classic Commentaries of Revelations 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:33 AM

Mike Pettit:
 The reason whay I feel this is happeneing is the mismatch between pre-pub and community pricing expectations. The problem as I see it is many projects will never make it to pre-pub, even though they are very valuable.  

I understand your concern about that. I am hoping enough users see the value of the resources and eventually push them through. I visualize the process looking like the exodus scene from Cecil B. DeMille's movie Exodus. Some of us are waiting a long time for that huge column of people to start moving before we see any progress.  Big Smile    Maybe we should hire this guy to move the bids along:

Move it!               

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:37 AM

Slava Novik:
Please understand me, I am not trying to underestimate the value of Charles Works. I just think that when it is open for public, $90 is too much. I dont want to see this set freezing with a high price as the Classic Commentaries of Revelations 

Understood and agree.    I would rather see 5000 users buy Wesley at $30 than 500 buy Wesley at $130.

Posts 1454
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 8:41 PM

Wow, the bids are going fast, for a few days it reached almost 80%

http://www.logos.com/product/17356/the-works-of-charles-wesley

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 9:05 PM

Mike Pettit:
people low balling valuable resources is killing community pricing.

I frequently low ball a collection just to maintain my hat in the ring. That way I get an email when it is about ready to go prepub.  I low ball when I am not willing to pay the higher price. No, we don't push the product to a quick finish. But if the price goes low enough then we help lower it further.

Community pricing is doing much better than it was 3-4 years ago as there are more people bidding. It now generally works like it was designed to work.

Posts 2836
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 9:39 PM

I have already made a Personal Book of Charles Wesley's Journal.  However, I have bid $40, and will buy the Logos version.  It will no doubt be a better tagged version of the Journal, and has some 20 other works.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS