Women's Bible Study Collection (12 vols.) - Demeaning?

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 887
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 27 2012 11:34 AM

From the upcoming Women's Bible Study Collection:

http://www.logos.com/product/17749/womens-bible-study-collection

Volume 3: http://www.logos.com/product/17749/womens-bible-study-collection#003

A Life Surrendered: A Women's Bible Study

• Author: June Kimmel
  • Publisher: BJU Press
  • Publication Date: 2007
  • Pages: 104

Sample Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

When you're tempted to rebel, to complain, to question—surrender. Remember your Savior and His life of perfect submission. Understand that He is in you. Yielding to Him, you can experience the blessing of a surrendered life.

In A Life Surrendered, June Kimmel takes an in-depth look at the pathway of submission. Christ’s perfect submission to the Father’s plan led Him to the cross and accomplished our redemption. Only in daily taking up His cross can we find purpose and victory in Christian living. Drawing from Philippians 2:5–11, Kimmel encourages Christian women to abandon their rebellious, complaining, questioning spirits and discover the joyful freedom of following in Christ’s footsteps of surrender. Step-by-step Bible study and practical, spiritual application draw out valuable lessons from God’s Word for women today and make A Life Surrendered ideal for discipleship and personal or group devotions.

June Kimmel, a pastor's wife for thirty years, has also written the women's Bible study That I May Know Him.

This sounds like those male pastors who label any women who wants to affirm her New Creation dignity as a full-fledged and equal child of God as having a "Jezebel Spirit."

Why should there be "women's bible study collections"? Aren't all Christians, male and female, to hold fast to and grow up into the same Person, Jesus Christ?

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 11:48 AM

Well, she references Philippians, in which case she's basically discussing the responsibility of all believers, with her book directed to a specific group of interest.

I agree with your general drift, however. Creating groups quickly introduces human pecking orders which people seem to enjoy (both genders).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 11:56 AM

I've been sharing this sentiment for years in the church.  We have Men's Bible Studies and Women's Bible Studies (among various others); the church often does quite a job of separating us more than uniting us.  Other than the occasional discussion of gender specific roles, why do we find it necessary to make such distinctions between male/female.  I have found mixed groups much more enlightening most of the time, as discussion takes both genders into consideration.  I know many a man who could learn greatly from Beth Moore.

Posts 887
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 12:38 PM

Michael G. Halpern:

I've been sharing this sentiment for years in the church.  We have Men's Bible Studies and Women's Bible Studies (among various others); the church often does quite a job of separating us more than uniting us.  Other than the occasional discussion of gender specific roles, why do we find it necessary to make such distinctions between male/female.  I have found mixed groups much more enlightening most of the time, as discussion takes both genders into consideration.  I know many a man who could learn greatly from Beth Moore.

ISTM that if separate(d) Bible studies were replaced with ones in which both men and women attended and fully participated at all levels, as both attendees and teachers of the classes, seeing that all the members of the Body of Christ have the same goal - i.e., to grow in Christlikeness and the knowledge of Him, and not into male-Christlikeness versus female Christlikeness, or "male" knowledge of Christ versus "female" knowledge of Christ (after all, Jesus took on human nature, not "male human nature," and died for humans' sins, not the "male sin nature"), and to help each other do so - I suspect that some of these ideas that certain "roles" in the Body of Christ are for males only would begin to disappear as people would begin to see that women can teach and lead and be led and empowered by the Spirit just as well as, and in the same ways as, men. There is only One Body, and as I read Paul, the different functions by the Spirit of the different members in the Body are not gender-restricted or gender-defined or gender-determined.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 12:57 PM

I wonder what Paul was thinking when he wrote: "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety."?

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 25208
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 1:03 PM

Concerned that this could easily become a theological debate with the potential to hurt people.

Please respect the guidelines for these forums which ask us to not do this.

Graham

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 1:06 PM

Graham Criddle:

Concerned that this could easily become a theological debate with the potential to hurt people.

Graham

Excellent point Graham, my apologies, temptation got the best of me.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 9
Teri King | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 2:15 PM

to Paul Gouder,

regarding your question, there are some good respectful discussions on this topic at equalitycentral.com/forum.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 4:13 PM

Eric Weiss:
Why should there be "women's bible study collections"? Aren't all Christians, male and female, to hold fast to and grow up into the same Person, Jesus Christ?
In a way, I agree with you.  Then again, I personally like the distinctions because men and women are not the same.  We need to acknowledge the difference.

This being said, I was real excited when I saw the title of this prepub because I have been saying that we need more resources from a female perspective.  When I read what is included and the one sided theological bent of this collection, you could say that it got my panties all tied up in knots.  I personally believe that we need women to use their "rebellious, complaining, questioning spirits" because it keeps the men in check.

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 4:30 PM

tom collinge:
 I personally believe that we need women to use their "rebellious, complaining, questioning spirits" because it keeps the men in check.

Personally, I don't think we need women OR men with "rebellious, complaining, questioning spirits." Even though I don't intend to buy the resources, I don't have a problem with these books being available on Logos.

To be honest, I think the OP was inflammatory, and I'll leave it at that. "This sounds like those male pastors who label any women who wants to affirm her New Creation dignity as a full-fledged and equal child of God as having a "Jezebel Spirit.""

I'm not sure why people are upset. Is it that you don't like the content of the book? Or, are you upset that Logos is making the book available on their platform? Or, is the issue with the title of the collection?

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 6:45 PM

Garrett Ho:
Personally, I don't think we need women OR men with "rebellious, complaining, questioning spirits."
IMHO, if we did not have "rebellious, complaining, questioning spirits," women would still not be able to vote, African Americans would still be slaves, and all the Israelites will still be in Egypt.  

Garrett Ho:
To be honest, I think the OP was inflammatory, and I'll leave it at that. "This sounds like those male pastors who label any women who wants to affirm her New Creation dignity as a full-fledged and equal child of God as having a "Jezebel Spirit.""
I think the OP was making a very actuate observation.

Garrett Ho:
I'm not sure why people are upset. Is it that you don't like the content of the book? Or, are you upset that Logos is making the book available on their platform? Or, is the issue with the title of the collection?
I cannot speak for everyone.  What makes me upset is that this collection only has one theological position, and (IMHO) {deleted so it does not start a theological debate}

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 5:12 AM

Teri King:

to Paul Gouder,

regarding your question, there are some good respectful discussions on this topic at equalitycentral.com/forum.

Thanks for the info Teri,Yes but I was just being an instigator.

It's a bit of a pet topic for me, and I have been debating it in the circles I run with for 30 years, so whenever it comes up I always have to fight the urge to throw in my two cents.Embarrassed

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 5:44 AM

I don't have a problem with it.  Men and women ARE different, but we all form one body.  Are ministries like Proverbs 31 Ministries and Promise Keepers demeaning because thier ministry focus is specifically on women or men?  I think not.  Each addresses needs for a specific part of the body.

Posts 9
Teri King | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 10:40 AM

Just saw this again.  Michael, may I ask from what part of the Body are women from and from what part of the Body are men from or representing.

My understanding of physiology, of which I'm certain that God is aware since He created it that way, is that our DNA of male and female are spread equally throughout the whole body.  The only differences physically (other than the skeletal and genitals) are the effects that our hormones have upon the body we walk in. Men carry 60% testosterone and 40% estrogen, while women carry 60% testosterone and 40% estrogen.  But the point is that the body is a whole body in which testosterone and estrogen are spread throughout.  

So, are you suggesting that the Body of Christ is masculine or feminine primarily?  Or what exactly are you saying?

Posts 9
Teri King | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 10:41 AM

oops, mistake.  meant to write women carry 60% estrogen and 40% testosterone.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 11:01 AM

Jesus quoted it Matt 19:5[Gen 2:24], Paul re-iterated it Eph 5:31, yet it is physically impossible.-? So if there is no equality before God, or the Throne, then how can this be?

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 9
Teri King | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 11:16 AM

I agree with you, Room4more.  my quibble is with this statement: "Each addresses needs for a specific part of the body".  I don't see men representing a specific part of the Body of Christ and women representing different parts of the Body of Christ.  What I see is all the believers representing various parts of the Body of Christ not segregated into pinks and blues.

Posts 249
Giovanni Baggio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 1:19 PM

Paul Golder:

Graham Criddle:

Graham

Excellent point Graham, my apologies, temptation got the best of me.

No need to apologize Paul it's not a theological debate, it's just simple facts.  You have a problem with the divine "pecking order" then complain to the Holy Spirit who revealed to Paul that that's the way it should be done.

Women, please understand, is not about macho man or chauvinist mentality is just about roles in worship and how GOD wants things done.   You see when it comes to salvation we're all sons of God through faith (Gal. 3:26-27) it doesn't matter your gender or ethnicity or social status (Gal. 3:28), but when it comes to roles we must play (headship, submission, etc.) in the church per God's prescription (1 Timothy 2:8ff), then we must accept what the Word of God says and not question it.  That doesn't mean women are worthless and need to shut up, but it means God wants the men to take the lead.  I hate to see women fall into the feminist mentality and rebel just because they have been lead to think that submission means slavery when it doesn't.  You all are new creatures in Christ just like men are (2 Corinthians 5:17), but that has nothing to do with the role each of us (men and women) must play in the church (per God's divine orders 1 Timothy 3:14-15).

Wow, look at me, I'm starting to learn a few things since I've been devoting my evenings to the study of the Word instead of watching gossip girl...LOL...Wink

So no apologies needed Paul and Graham (no offense) but no need to make someone feel bad with the old used up card of "this may turn in to a theological debate," cus it isn't it's plain and simple Bible truth.  Love you man!

Going through metamorphosis!

Giovanni

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 1:34 PM

Teri King:

[...]

Interesting

While we do have to accept the non-rationale that we are different on the outside, the spiritual separation should not be to the point that we ostracize one gender from the other in the application, or self-servitude, to the Word of God and the non-compliance of leading a double-standardized life.

Yet, there are times when we must accept that our level of maturity, differing between milk and meat, can lead us to wanting to be separated, or as some would have it, segregated. But, guided by the example of our Beloved Saviour, Jesus The Son of God, we must/should lay aside that need, and seek to unite as one Body, not physically, but rather appealing to spiritual unity, to wit, many will be one day.

If the material in question can be a motivational addition to what we already have, then there should be an offering of it. Let those who can benefit in teaching the material to others be allowed to do so, if not for personal edification at that.

Yes, at first glance it does seem a bit demeaning, but I do not believe that that is the intention of the writer(s) or the promoter of the writer(s). If we take to our own gander and commit to it a slight of hand demeaning intent, then I would suspect that we are already of a bias attitude and may need to be readjusted…….

Contrary to sterotyped essential orthodoxy, I support women in the church setting. God Included them......

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 2:45 PM

Curiosity has the best of me:

How many would state that Mother Teresa was not call’d of God to do what she has done[minister, evangelize, teach]? While I do not fully agree with everything about her, I would NOT say the she was not call’d...

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS