Bulk Star Ratings Not Working

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 15 2012 7:53 PM

I've reproduced this on two computers so far. In 4.5b SR-1, while in the library panel, I select multiple books (whether by ctrl-A, or shift-click) and it gives the option to "set the same rating for all". Problem is, there's no place to click on a star rating and actually set it. I can clear ratings without a problem.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Posts 10556
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 2:31 AM

mitchellisdumb:
Can anyone else reproduce this?

I can confirm this. Is this yet another regression of 4.5b?

Posts 27687
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 3:55 AM

Jack Caviness:
I can confirm this.

I can as well. BOO! (Insert comment from the peanut gallery Stick out tongue)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 5:16 AM

And there's more. When I bring up the information panel for a single resource in the library, the "prioritize" list works but the "browse" tab shows a completely empty gray panel.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 6:21 AM

Jack Caviness:

Yes. 

But I guess your question was mainly rhetorical by now... Geeked

mitchellisdumb:
I select multiple books (whether by ctrl-A, or...

It's cmd-A on Mac, but thanks for mentioning this. For 20 months now I've assumed that cmd-A was one of those many many things where the devs thought they didn't need to follow normal Mac standards. I've assumed that because, well, nothing ever happened when I hit cmd-A. Today, after your post and some experimenting, I've found that if I first select one post, then hit cmd-A, and then wait long enough, Logos actually does select all.

Now, can someone figure out for me what ctrl-A does? Because it actually does something as well. It jumps from selecting one resource to selecting another some lines further down, but I can't figure out what the pattern is.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10556
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 6:42 AM

fgh:
Now, can someone figure out for me what ctrl-A does? Because it actually does something as well. It jumps from selecting one resource to selecting another some lines further down, but I can't figure out what the pattern is.

When you don't know what to read, this feature selects a random resource from your library as filtered by you Big Smile

fgh:

Jack Caviness:

Yes. 

Noted that you are still on 4.5a—The Smiling One can now make another entry into the regression list. I am amazed that the developers could somewhat enable community notes and destroy so many unrelated features.

Any comment, Logos?

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 7:14 AM

Jack Caviness:
I am amazed that the developers could somewhat enable community notes and destroy so many unrelated features.

I don't remember exactly what the release notes say they've been working on, but I can't imagine they've managed to mess up all these things one by one. They must have broken something deep down. I presume they're busy either trying to find out what it is or how to fix it. Let's hope they've reached the second stage and that it's turned out to be something they can fix, and not like the program scaling, which I understand they once enabled, and then turned off again. (Not that it would bother me personally if they had to turn off the community notes again, but I imagine they're a necessary step towards sharing other things.)

What amazes me is that this could go through beta and be released. It's one thing to break stuff, it's quite another to release the broken build as 'stable'.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 7:15 AM

fgh:

mitchellisdumb:
I select multiple books (whether by ctrl-A, or...

It's cmd-A on Mac, but thanks for mentioning this.

Oh, that's embarrassing. I meant to say cmd-A, but I do tech support for PCs at work so my brain gets confused at lot.

Posts 10556
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 11:29 AM

fgh:
What amazes me is that this could go through beta and be released. It's one thing to break stuff, it's quite another to release the broken build as 'stable'.

KS4J can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most of the broken features came with the release of 4.5b SR-1

Posts 10556
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 11:29 AM

mitchellisdumb:
I do tech support for PCs at work so my brain gets confused at lot.

Perfectly understandable—Do we need to post a suicide watch? Big Smile

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 12:09 PM

Jack Caviness:
KS4J can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most of the broken features came with the release of 4.5b SR-1

I beg your pardon? The reason I never downloaded 4.5b was because you had made so many posts about regressions in the betas and the RC's! In fact, though I can't find it right now, I'm pretty sure I saw a post where you expressed your amazement that they intended to let this go 'stable', with so many regressions unaddressed.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 12:35 PM

fgh:

Jack Caviness:

fgh:

I beg your pardon? The reason I never downloaded 4.5b was because you had made so many posts about regressions in the betas and the RC's! In fact, though I can't find it right now, I'm pretty sure I saw a post where you expressed your amazement that they intended to let this go 'stable', with so many regressions unaddressed.

To me, the "b" in Logos 4.5b has a variety of possible meanings, including "backward", "beta", and "buggy".  Also had recommended against Logos 4.5b being declared "Gold" due to annoying regressions => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/49049/363260.aspx#363260 

Personally amazed and astounded by the number of confirmed Logos 4.5b regressions on Mac.  Adding social network sharing broke more than a dozen Logos 4 Mac features.

Thread => 4.5b (4.52.0.2176) available for download includes request for Logos to update Release Notes to show Logos 4.5b has many regressions => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/49155/363961.aspx#363961 that has not been done by Logos so Feature Parity list is expanding from a number of forum discussions, which now includes reference to this thread:

• PC Library star rating assignment works for many selected resources, but Mac lacks place to click – Logos 4.5b regression

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 1:51 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Also had recommended against Logos 4.5b being declared "Gold" due to annoying regressions => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/49049/363260.aspx#363260 

I was so sure the post I saw was by Jack, but I guess it's possible that I misremember, and that yours was the one.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10556
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2012 3:06 AM

fgh:

Jack Caviness:

I beg your pardon? The reason I never downloaded 4.5b was because you had made so many posts about regressions in the betas and the RC's! 

Embarrassed Oops! I stand corrected. My only excuse is that the accumulation of regressions has confused me Geeked

fgh:
I can't find it right now, I'm pretty sure I saw a post where you expressed your amazement that they intended to let this go 'stable', with so many regressions unaddressed.

Thought I had deleted that comment before anyone read it. Upon reflection, it should have remained.

fgh:
I was so sure the post I saw was by Jack, but I guess it's possible that I misremember, and that yours was the one.

As stated above, I did post such a comment, but then decided to edit the post rather quickly.

Even worse than the multiple regressions is Logos' continued silence on the issue.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 11:35 AM

Jack Caviness:
I stand corrected. My only excuse is that the accumulation of regressions has confused me Geeked

Big Smile and Crying

Jack Caviness:
I did post such a comment

Thanks for admitting to it. I'm glad to know I haven't gone senile quite yet...

Jack Caviness:
Thought I had deleted that comment before anyone read it.

If it was in the beta forum, you were simply unlucky, as I hadn't looked there for weeks when I decided to check if downloading the RC was a good idea. If it was in the Mac forum... well, I guess you've forgotten about the e-mails that go out the second you hit post. There is no such thing as 'deleting before anyone reads', I'm afraid.

Jack Caviness:
Upon reflection, it should have remained.

Big Smile,Yes and Crying

Jack Caviness:
Even worse than the multiple regressions is Logos' continued silence on the issue.

YesYesYesYesYes

I'm afraid it never ceases to amaze me how Logos treats its customers.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10556
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 12:32 PM

fgh:

Jack Caviness:

YesYesYesYesYes

I'm afraid it never ceases to amaze me how Logos treats its customers.

We did finally get information of the probable cause of the regressions, but it would have been better to have communicated sooner.

The information came shortly after the release of 4.5c Beta 1. So far, that has been a very stable beta, and has fixed about half the regressions of 4.5b.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 2:28 PM

Jack Caviness:
We did finally get information of the probable cause of the regressions

We did? Where? In the beta forum somewhere? Because I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it. All I've seen in the last few days when I haven't had time to post is your continued disappointment and continued requests for information.

Jack Caviness:
it would have been better to have communicated sooner

Indeed! And more visibly.

Jack Caviness:
So far, that has been a very stable beta, and has fixed about half the regressions of 4.5b.

Good to know, but I shouldn't have to wait for a major release for these fixes. Regressions should be fixed in SR's. And a lot faster than this!

I have to say I was pretty shocked and pretty upset to find that, with all these regressions unaddressed, they had prioritized working on a new beta.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 27687
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 2:45 PM

fgh:

Jack Caviness:

We did? Where?

I don't remember where, but we did get an explanation of sorts. It was accidental and/or unintended consequences of getting things ready for 4.5c.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 3:25 PM

alabama24:

fgh:

Jack Caviness:

We did? Where?

I don't remember where, but we did get an explanation of sorts. It was accidental and/or unintended consequences of getting things ready for 4.5c.

Thankful for Logos developer comments in thread => Reminder about 4.5c UI implementation changes with reference to thread => 4.5c changes in UI generation

Apple is changing their XCode 4.4 development environment on Mac OS X in preparation for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (later this year, perhaps next month) => https://developer.apple.com/technologies/mountain-lion/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 3:46 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Thankful for Logos developer comments in thread => Reminder about 4.5c UI implementation changes with reference to thread => 4.5c changes in UI generation

a) Those threads are in the beta forum, where most 4,5a-b users won't see them. (In fact, most stable users probably don't even know how to find the beta forum itself.)

b) Those threads warn about problems that may occur in 4.5c beta. They don't warn about or explain the regressions in 4.5b 'stable'..

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS