logos 4 not responding

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Mark Rice | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 29 2012 12:54 PM

Logos 4 stops responding shortly after opening and loading the home page. If I try to browse my library or do a search, the program stops responding. It has worked correctly in the past. Last night it allowed me to start browsing a resource before it stopped responding. This morning, it won't even get that far before stopping to respond.

I'm running logos 4 on a ASUS laptop, intel i7, 4G memory, 64 bit, windows home premium.

Any suggestions on how to get logos 4 running again? I really want to read one of my commentaries for some studies that I'm doing.

Thank you.1830.Logos Log Files.zip

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 29 2012 1:22 PM

Mark Allen Rice:

Logos 4 stops responding shortly after opening and loading the home page. If I try to browse my library or do a search, the program stops responding. It has worked correctly in the past. Last night it allowed me to start browsing a resource before it stopped responding. This morning, it won't even get that far before stopping to respond.

I'm running logos 4 on a ASUS laptop, intel i7, 4G memory, 64 bit, windows home premium.

Any suggestions on how to get logos 4 running again? I really want to read one of my commentaries for some studies that I'm doing.

Thank you.

Mark, there is no crash or error reported in either log file for this issue. The last error reported in the error log was on July 6.

I am going to assume that the Logos4 log was submitted after the problem occurred, and before restarting Logos. If that's not the case, please make sure logging is enabled, try to follow the steps to cause the problem and post the logs here before restarting Logos4.

I am also going to assume that indexing is not currently running and has completed normally (without a manual shut down). If not, let indexing finish or rebuild the indexes your system.

I am also going to assume that the problem does not happen with only one resource. (If it does, please say so, we may be able to fix that.)

If all I assume above is correct, my guess is that Logos is working in the background while it seems to have stopped working, and will allow input again, if you leave it alone long enough. The "Program not responding" message in Win7 is not fatal, nor terminal. Often the program will recover, with time. So give it some time.This could be caused by something going on in the program that needs attention (data, corrupt installation, index issue, e.g.), or by another program (working in the background) demanding more priority from your system. Neither scenario should be happening, but they occasionally do.

If we knew more about what was going on, we might be able to make a suggestion.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 4
Mark Rice | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 29 2012 1:51 PM

Thank you, Richard for your reply. Your assumptions are correct. There is no crash or error reported in the log even though the program stops responding. Yes, the log file was submitted after the problem. Indexing is not currently running (there are no messages stating that indexing is running). The problem does not seem to be isolated to one resource. Yesterday, I just left it alone for about 20-30 minutes; but, perhaps that wasn't long enough. I have enabled logging and recreated the problem. I will let it run for as long as I can - I won't force logos to close as in times past. We'll see what happens. If an error log is produced, I'll be sure to post that. Is there anything else that would be helpful to know?

Thanks again!

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 29 2012 3:18 PM

Mark Allen Rice:
Is there anything else that would be helpful to know?

I know that I've seen this before, sometimes it's an intermittent problem that resolves itself, other time not so much. I'm hoping you won't have to do a reinstall of L4. It's just as like a Windows or .NET issue as it is an L4 issue, so a reinstall might, or might not help.

It could also be a conflict with software or drivers. Do you consistently keep those up to date? Did the problem begin after a recent driver update (if so, reverting to the previous might work)? Did the problem begin after installing or upgrading other software (if so, uninstalling or reverting to a previous version might work)?

It could be a corrupt index, though that usually presents differently, and shows errors.

It could be bad RAM or bad video RAM. It's possible, though not likely (unless you're seeing problems with other programs).

It could be a bad spot on the HD, though it's hard to know how likely this is. I don't think it would be very likely.

While it costs some time, an otherwise no-cost possible solution would be to rebuild the indexes. In your case rebuild library index would be the way to do it (since the problem doesn't seem to be with Bibles). But as I said, this doesn't seem like the likely cause.

If the logs show that Logos is stuck doing the same task, we may have some hints about what else might work.

Posts 3173
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 29 2012 4:03 PM

Hi Mark,

In the event that Richard's suggestion does not resolve the problem I've contacted you offline.

Posts 650
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 29 2012 5:31 PM

If you are still having trouble, you may wish to try Bradley’s solution HERE

I hope it’s working for you soon.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 4
Mark Rice | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 3:33 PM

Thanks to all who offered their help! I ended up calling Logos support. They did a great job and got the problem fixed. It turned out to be a problem with the WPF "PresentationFontCache" service.

The workaround is to restart the service and delete its cache files; instructions on how to do this can be found here: https://support.counterpath.com/?W349

Thanks again and kodos to Logos support!

Posts 2
Gene Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 2:39 PM

I spent a good part of the day with tech support and we still did not ge the issue resolved. I followed the workaround listed above and am now back in action. Thanks for posting this.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 11:33 PM

Mark Allen Rice:

Thanks to all who offered their help! I ended up calling Logos support. They did a great job and got the problem fixed. It turned out to be a problem with the WPF "PresentationFontCache" service.

The workaround is to restart the service and delete its cache files; instructions on how to do this can be found here: https://support.counterpath.com/?W349

Thanks again and kodos to Logos support!

I had this same issue, followed the instructions in the link, and Logos opens once again.

Posts 7
Bruce McKanna | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 6:00 AM

I could not find the dat file to delete on Windows 7.  Any help out there?

Posts 4
Mark Rice | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 6:36 AM

Bruce,

Run Services.msc. Stop Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 service. Delete FontCache3.0.0.0.dat in (XP) C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data OR (Vista/Win 7) C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local. Reboot the computer.

On my computer, the fontcache3.0.0.0.dat file was hidden. You need to change folder view options to view all files to see the file.

Posts 247
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 6:39 AM

I am having the same problem on Mac and PC. When I open the program it just crashes.

Posts 7
Bruce McKanna | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:36 AM

I was able to find the dat file and delete it, but I'm still not getting it to work.

I've tried stopping the service, deleting the file, then rebooting.

I've tried stopping the service, deleting the file, restarting the service, then rebooting.

I've checked after rebooting that the file has not reappeared, but still no go.

It's crazy that this happened at the beginning of a holiday weekend!

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 11:08 AM

Bruce McKanna:

I've tried stopping the service, deleting the file, restarting the service, then rebooting.

I've checked after rebooting that the file has not reappeared, but still no go.

The file should reappear when the WPF service is restarted.

Since you're not able to get L4 to work, enable logging by carefully following all the instructions in this link: http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Then run Logos and if it crashes again, post all  the log and txt files here for review, before restarting Logos. Here are the Wiki instructions for how to upload logs: http://wiki.logos.com/Uploading_Logs

While there are no guarantees we can help, we're sure we can't do much more than guess without the logs.

Posts 7
Bruce McKanna | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 6:50 PM

Thanks for your help.  I'm still crashing, so I'm attaching the log files

73248.Logos4Error.log

5460.Logos4Crash.txt

522076.Logos4.log

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 7:13 PM

Bruce McKanna:

Thanks for your help.  I'm still crashing, so I'm attaching the log files

73248.Logos4Error.log

5460.Logos4Crash.txt

522076.Logos4.log

Without be totally literate in reading these logs, the way I read it, a guide is causing your crash.

Have you tried loading to a blank layout? (Hold down CTRL as Logos4 loads then select "Use blank layout" (under the "Work Offline" button).

If that works, you can try to load a previous saved layout (easier), or just rebuild your layout from scratch (safer - in case your saved layout crashes L4 again).

Posts 7
Bruce McKanna | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 8:07 PM

That worked!  I'm in, it's working, and I'm very grateful to you all for your time and help.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS