Upgrading

Page 3 of 16 (313 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 312 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 93
Robert C. Beckman Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:37 PM

I have to wait for a minimal cross-grade because I simply can't afford to be extorted at this timeSuper Angry

Posts 64
Ken Hicks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:38 PM

I get this, but the confusion others are experiencing points to a marketing problem associated with keeping the same base package designations. Might have been better to change the names so there  was no point of reference or comparison. Customer confusion is indicative of a marketing failure. I should know since I spent 17 years in marketing before going into ministry (caused my fair share of "confusion"). Big Smile

Chris Roberts:

Gary Pajkos:
It's just wrong to make your reinvest for all the same resources over again in order to get the new functionality in the latest version.

That's not what's happening. When you "upgrade" to the same package in the new version, the cost is for the new resources in that package. I have Version 4 Platinum. The restructured Platinum for version 5 adds a lot of resources I don't have. The cost covers the new datasets for V5 and all the new resources in the Platinum package (or whatever package I "upgrade" to).

Posts 105
Gary Pajkos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:38 PM

All I want to do is upgrade the basic software engine and have the new functionality work with my existing resources.  I am not now interested in purchasing additional books. 

If that's the case then I stand corrected and apologize.

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:39 PM

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:
extorted

Please explain, Robert. That is a loaded term. How are you being extorted in this? You still have everything you ever had, can run L4 as you always have and can run L5 without their new databases for free. Where is the extortion?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1479
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:39 PM

I believe logos made a smart move, this gives me time to break it to my wife before christmas :) if I decide to upgrade. The major upgrade cost going from portfolio to portfolio 2.0 comes from a bunch of commentaries, I just don't see the need for more commentaries. I was hoping for more of a personal package upgrade. Something like a portfolio with a focus on theological or doctrinal studies. Many people have portfolios with diversity (which is needed), but many people are not dumping money is stocks right now, but investing in precious metals. I was hoping not to invest more in commentaries that I do not use, but shift the focus of my library to doctrinal studies. If this could be done I would be more apt. to upgrade.

Posts 6602
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:40 PM

Gary Pajkos:

All I want to do is upgrade the basic software engine and have the new functionality work with my existing resources.  I am not now interested in purchasing additional books. 

If that's the case then I stand corrected and apologize.

To take full advantage of the new engine, you will need either a base package or a minimal cross grade when it is released.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 93
Robert C. Beckman Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:41 PM

some will get alienated right to a different product

Posts 1937
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:42 PM

Chris Roberts:
But then people would wait for the cheaper crossgrade instead of spending more money now, thinking it was the only option available. It's all marketing.

If they think that's the way it would work, all I can say is, "Beware the law of unintended consequences." The more people who get the new software and databases, irrespective of new resources / packages, the more people who can do all the indirect marketing. Just the few people who do have it have commented on the improved speed and the new features, not the wonderful new resources they were forced to purchase to get the new software.

Instead the comments on the release are more negative than positive and aren't about the software but about the business practices and the process.

Donnie

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:42 PM

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:
One week ago I did not think I would be able to even use the Mac version throughout the weekend.

i think i have heard L5 runs better on Mac.

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:
I have the added frustration of paying for the same resources

not sure I understand what you mean? paying for the same resources, that is.

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:
I want to judiciously add reference resources when I need them,

I'm with you on that.

perhaps the forthcoming minimal crossgrade will boost your performance and ease the pocketbook.  

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:
How am I supposed to explain this to my wife

If you figure out a good solution, let me know.  I could use some pointers . . . EmbarrassedSmile

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:42 PM

Gary Pajkos:

You can do that by downloading the new L5 engine for free. I don't think Logos has published the link for this yet, but someone figured it out and posted it in a forum posting tonight. If you look around I think you can find it. This will give you exactly what you are looking for at no cost to you. Later, if you want the new databases after you find out more about what they do the crossgrade would give you that once it is made available.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 93
Robert C. Beckman Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:42 PM

Tomorrow would be the appropriate time.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:43 PM

Blair Laird:
I was hoping for more of a personal package upgrade. Something like a portfolio with a focus on theological or doctrinal studies.

like that option.

Posts 6
David Ogg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:45 PM

it's been said by everyone but Logos. Is this an assumption based on the way we upgraded to v4? This has been handled nothing like that time.

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:46 PM

Dan DeVilder:
Blair Laird:
I was hoping for more of a personal package upgrade. Something like a portfolio with a focus on theological or doctrinal studies.

Yep, that is a good idea.

Logos has planned some 'add-on' packages focused on different interests like Theology, Old testament Studies, etc. Don't see anything about this yet on the web site but it may be there. If not, it is coming. However, it won't get you the new databases.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:48 PM

David Ogg:

it's been said by everyone but Logos. Is this an assumption based on the way we upgraded to v4? This has been handled nothing like that time.

It has been said by folks at Logos to us MVP's.

Here's a direct quote from Phil Gons from that communication to the forum MVP's:

Minimal Crossgrade and Free Engine

We do not plan to release the minimal crossgrade or the free engine until the end of the launch promotion. The only way to get the Logos 5 engine during the launch period is to buy or upgrade to a base package.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:48 PM

Mark Smith:

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:
Now in 7 days time I have the added frustration of paying for the same resources....the third time.

No Robert. That is wrong. You will not pay for the same resource twice. Please clarify what you mean when you say that. I hope it is just a misunderstanding.

Thank you Mark for your patient stating of the facts again, and again, and again, and again. I do not understand why people are not able to see they do not pay for resources they already have but do pay for new resources. Logos is doing nothing underhanded or dishonest. And no one if forced to buy anything. Please people be patient.

Posts 93
Robert C. Beckman Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:51 PM

For me to upgrade is $365.00 Original languages is gone...for which I paid $485.00 plus the $85.00 to cross-grade from version 3 to version 4. I have added may resources to this mix over the years, all told my stake is probably around $1500.00. Some have more, some have less. I have invested what I can on the resources I need. This is real money.  If there are secrets out there about why this is necessary or important to upgrade this way, they need to be on the table. My gut feeling is that most of the community will wait on the cross-grade.

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:51 PM

David Ogg:

David, with a thread moving along like this one, it is helpful if you quote the person you are responding to. Use the quote button in the gray area near the top of the message composition page, selecting just the text you want to quote before you hit 'Quote'.

If you are referring to the crossgrade path I referred to in my reply to you, that is based on actual word from Logos. Sorry there isn't anything on the web site to back that up, but we were promised during the beta test cycle that there will be this option once the smoke clears from the initial upgrade response.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:51 PM

Donnie Hale:
but about the business practices and the process.

i hear a lot of that, too.  people get really annoyed when they are faced with an option to spend money when times are tight.  

Posts 93
Robert C. Beckman Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:53 PM

Mark I think my last post answered your question. I'm not going to lose anything, true. But I have to pay up-front, beyond what I want or need to use my resources with the new tools. Logos has always said, "the engine is free, you pay for resources." That is clearly not the case with this upgrade.

Page 3 of 16 (313 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS