Using logosres links on Macintosh

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 27811
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 8:36 PM

Anon:
From that post I'm understanding that "logosres" and "logosref" are unlikely to work with Mac, at least at this time.  Is this correct?

Kind of, but not quite. The problem is that logosres doesn't work in most applications on the Mac. If you click on the logosres link in Jack's POST above, you will find that it works. This isn't a Logos problem… it is a problem with how OSX handles the link. The point of this thread was that Logos is working on a potential solution (by using a web browser as a bridge), but it isn't ready to be implemented fully yet. 

EDIT: Try this one instead: logosres:esv;ref=BibleESV.Jn3.3;off=58 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 464
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 9:58 PM

alabama24:

Anon:
From that post I'm understanding that "logosres" and "logosref" are unlikely to work with Mac, at least at this time.  Is this correct?

Kind of, but not quite. The problem is that logosres doesn't work in most applications on the Mac. If you click on the logosres link in Jack's POST above, you will find that it works. This isn't a Logos problem… it is a problem with how OSX handles the link. The point of this thread was that Logos is working on a potential solution (by using a web browser as a bridge), but it isn't ready to be implemented fully yet. 

EDIT: Try this one instead: logosres:esv;ref=BibleESV.Jn3.3;off=58 

Thanks for the clarification alabama!  Clicking on your link above works!!  Looking forward to the OS X solution. 

OS X 10.14.6  |  Logos 8.9 

Posts 1511
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 3:53 AM

Bradley (or anyone else with the time and know how), it might be helpful as well to create a Word macro that would convert all logosres links in a Word document to the Mac compatible format.

Posts 10599
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 4:19 AM

Fr Devin Roza:

Bradley (or anyone else with the time and know how), it might be helpful as well to create a Word macro that would convert all logosres links in a Word document to the Mac compatible format.

Interesting suggestion, but once converted would Word leave them alone? and recognize them as proper links?

Posts 1511
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 6:34 AM

At least on Windows the links work just fine in Word for Windows. If that is not the case on Mac, a macro could in theory go through a document that already exists and that has lots of Logos links, and automatically convert the hyperlinks to a Mac-friendly format.

Posts 27811
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 6:46 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
At least on Windows the links work just fine in Word for Windows.

The logosres links don't work in Word for Mac.

Posts 10599
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 1:20 PM

alabama24:
The logosres links don't work in Word for Mac.

They do not work because Micro Sloft Word attempts to convert them into web links. 

Posts 23
James F. Joyner III | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 11 2014 8:46 AM

I want to share that I contacted technical support at Logos about this very issue over a year ago, and I was promised an answer. I followed up with the specific technical support person five or six times and my emails were unanswered. This unresponsiveness really casts a poor light on Logos' technical support. I will try this solution in Power Point for Mac and report back on whether it works. I'm really disappointed in the way this was handled by Logos!

Posts 27811
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 20 2014 7:21 PM

alabama24:

Any update on this Bradley? Anything you want us to try out?

Well, you reminded me of this thread by referring to it in another thread. Any updates Bradley? Wink

Posts 23
James F. Joyner III | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 20 2014 7:58 PM

I'm more and more disappointed in logos support.

Posts 27811
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 20 2014 8:07 PM

James F. Joyner III:

I'm more and more disappointed in logos support.

Why? Because one person dropped the ball, or something else? My guess is that the person you contacted didn't have a good answer (and should have said so). 

Posts 8084
LogosEmployee

alabama24:

Any updates Bradley? Wink

Nope. Smile

AFAIK, manually-constructed ref.ly links still work, so advanced users can create them manually if necessary (e.g., to use within Office programs on Mac).

The (slight) consensus in feedback on this thread is that these should not become the new default for the app to generate. Additionally, the current ref.ly URLs do not work in IE, so we would need to determine how to work around that first.

Posts 27811
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 20 2014 9:04 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

The (slight) consensus in feedback on this thread is that these should not become the new default for the app to generate. Additionally, the current ref.ly URLs do not work in IE, so we would need to determine how to work around that first.

??? But wasn't the point of all of this helping out Mac users? Who cares if the URL's work in IE? It would be great as an option to turn on... Especially for Mac users. Wink

Posts 8084
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 20 2014 10:18 PM

alabama24:

But wasn't the point of all of this helping out Mac users?

As the saying goes, Ref.ly helps those who help themselves. Smile

alabama24:
Who cares if the URL's work in IE?

Only the majority of our customers. You Mac users know you're the (very vocal) minority, right? Wink

alabama24:
It would be great as an option to turn on

I wasn't saying that it couldn't/wouldn't happen; just that we're not changing the default right now.

Posts 375
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 6:15 AM

I'm using the link Jack gives that everyone seems to agree is working. When I prefix it with http://ref.ly/ and create a document, I end up with an error message saying the URL was rejected by ref.ly. What am I doing wrong. I'm on 10.9 with Logos 5 running.

Thanks.

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 6:43 AM

Sorry, I'm not a Mac user, but...

Can you post the link you are referring to as well as the link after you convert it?

Did you convert it exactly as per Bradley's instructions in the first message in this thread?

Posts 375
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 7:34 AM

Sorry....it was Alabama's link:

logosres:esv;ref=BibleESV.Jn3.3;off=58 

And my conversion:

http://ref.ly/logosres:esv;ref=BibleESV.Jn3.3;off=58

results in a runtime error.

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 8:02 AM

Dr. Clint Cozier:

In the link that you get from Logos, you need to substitute the initial colon with a forward slash:

logosres/esv;ref=BibleESV.Jn3.3;off=58
            ^^^^^

Then prepend the ref.ly link and the final link should look like:

http://ref.ly/logosres/esv;ref=BibleESV.Jn3.3;off=58

Posts 375
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 8:31 AM

Very cool!!!!!! Thanks for everyone's help! Now I've got new toys with which to play.

Posts 8084
LogosEmployee

In Logos 6.11, we made https://ref.ly URLs the default for the "Copy Location as: URL" feature. We added a new "L4" option for those who want to generate the logosres, logos4, etc. links directly.

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS