L4 and Precept (Inductive) Bible Studies.

Page 1 of 6 (115 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 114 Replies | 17 Followers

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 9 2009 1:57 PM

Ok, I have been concentrating too much on bugs and features, but not enough on studies.

So with that in mind I am starting a precept study on Isaiah, and I would like input from the users that use inductive/precept studies as to what type of work flow they use. For instance, when I first saw the inductive highlighting section, I thought that it would be very useful. Upon trying to use it to highlight all the personal pronouns in a chapter, I came to a different conclusion. So, if you wouldn't mind sharing, I will be listening.

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 4:21 PM

I know what you mean.  Logos is like a shiny new toy...way too distracting but fun!  I bought Logos (3 with a very fast upgrade to 4) right after I learned about Precept and Inductive bible study so I'm new to both but I'll share what I do so far.  I am making my way through Daniel.

I created a set of notes to record what I learn about God's nature since that will apply to any area I study. I also have a note set for Book of Daniel Study and I use it to record the who/what/where/why/when/how as I read.  Who is reigning? What year is it?  What does the dream mean based on what the scripture tells me?  What do cross references say to clarify?  When I add notes I always mark the reference and not the selection because I don't like the highlighting the selection takes on and prefer a little marker out in the left margin instead.  I color God's notes in one color I plan to use throughout my studies and other notes in another color.  I name my notes files "NOTES: xxx", where xxx is the topic, so I can find them easier in the File drop down.  I do the same for each type of file I can create.  I hope some day they put in a little more organization but this works fine for now with my small number of files.

I have both sets of notes open in a left side pane, along with a reading schedule I set up with plenty of time for me to study each chapter.  I don't follow it to the letter but it keeps me moving and not forgetting to study for a week since it shows up in my ribbon.  I also have highlighting open in the left pane.  When I'm marking, I keep it on top so I can change around from marker to marker.  I'm REALLY looking forward to creating my own symbol/color combinations.  I miss that from version 3.  I've gotten used to selecting and marking, using control-K when marking the same word many times and control-shift-K to erase a mistake.  It's not perfect but I like it better than marking up paper scriptures.  I'd love to be able to use the mouse wheel to change between my five currently prioritized styles as I read.  That would be excellent!  And I'd love to be able to set double clicking to choose a word instead of open a resource for the word.  If I could turn that on and off to meet the need at the time and change styles by mouse wheel I could fly through the chapter.

In my right half I have the NASB at the top so I can read, mark and even check Strong's or Morphology in the interlinear.  Strong's stays open at the bottom right and also "That's Easy for You to Say" just because I like to look up names I don't know.  :-)

I have a Precept book and I am working through it to get used to the study style.  I don't keep commentaries open because the idea is to understand scripture from scripture. I do use a Bible dictionary sometimes to gain information on a piece of history or a certain person.

That's it so far.  I hope you'll post as you work out your own system.  I'm sure I will learn from it.

Kaye

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 6:28 PM

Kaye

Thanks for the outline of your study. Is there a precept book in LOGOS that I could work with? I am not sure what the title or type would be.  I tried looking for inductive and precept but my library did not produce anything useful (for this topic anyway).  

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 4:14 AM

Robert. the Precept concept is centered around Kay Arthur and Precept Ministries (http://www.precept.org/). It is a very popular form of Inductive bible study, but I don't see any of their material on the site. If you want to pick up a paper copy, the core methodology is taught in a book called "How to Study Your Bible (The Lasting Rewards of the Inductive Method), I would highly recommend it.

I did find a book on Logos that did deal with both Inductive and Deductive study techniques but I don't have any experience with it, or the author.

http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/HNDBBLST

Arthur didn't invent Inductive Study, although she might as well have <GRIN>. Her claim was that she took seminary level teaching and made it understandable for everyone and it is a rare area where you can't find a church holding classes using her material. 

I got involved with it because my wife is a former precept teacher, and currently all the Sunday School classes at our congregation are using summary or overview studies and that just doesn't satisfy my hunger for the Word. So I am attending a precept class at another Baptist church.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 4:18 AM

FWIW,

I have used the precept study method in the past and I've settled on the "lazy mans way" of precept studying...I color code important words and "like" words to the text is easier to follow....that's it.

Words that are key, places, names, etc...

I'm just not that disclipined... Big Smile

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 4:45 AM

I have Kay Arthur's book mentioned above on my Kindle and I have two of her study guides (Daniel and Revelation) in print.  I didn't feel like I was getting all I could from the study using the book as a first timer so I went to her website, found archives and downloaded her 50 30-minute audio lessons on Daniel.  It took a bit to download them but I also got the study guide and have been using them with much better success...and they were all free!

I'm still working through it but I know I am learning.  I could tell you in decent detail the first six chapters of Daniel - who is there, what they are doing, how it seems so far to relate to history of the time, etc.  I'm looking forward to finishing up Daniel and moving to Revelation.  Then on to the Gospels, I think!

Kaye

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 449
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 5:26 AM

Inductive Study is a lot of work, but very rewarding. Before Kay's book, was one by Irving L. Jensen called, Independent Bible Study. It is full of treasures on how to study in this way. I have an old print copy and use it often. It is not in print any more, but the copyright owner, has it as a free download e-book - http://www.scripturetableware.com/free-ebook/

If you feel so inclined, please visit my site - www.inductivebible.net

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 5:47 AM

Maybe if the copyright owner is giving it away, Logos should look into making it digital  :-)

And thanks for the PDF on your site!

K

Posts 449
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 6:08 AM

You are welcome.

And, I too believe the Jensen book would be an excellent addition to the Logos stable of stars...

Posts 3
Karen Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 6:13 AM

Hi, Kaye . . .

This is Karen Jensen Collins--our family owns the copyright to the Jensen book that Bill Cook referenced above with our link to the free ebook (which is actually just a pdf, not a true ebook). That IS a good suggestion--that we look into Logos making that book available digitally. It's something I've wanted to do with Dad's books, many of which are OP now, but we believe are still marketable. Thanks for that 'nudge' . . . I need to put that back on the front burner, it seems!

Thanks, Bill, for including the link here . . . good to see your post. 

karen
www.ScriptureTableware.com

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 6:21 AM

Thanks, Karen!  I'll keep an eye out for any news on that.  :-)  Always looking for valid ways to dig deeper into God's Word.

Peace,

Kaye

Posts 1660
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 6:30 AM

Dear Karen:

Thank you so much for posting!

I also used your Dad's book as a text in Bible College (somewhere during 1969-1973). It was very helpful.

I too, still have my paper copy and really appreciate (now) having this pdf (but just between you and me, a pdf pales in light of Logos :) )

All the best

Steve Filyer

Regards, SteveF

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 6:39 AM

This is cool...like starting our own Pre-Pub!  Smile

Posts 449
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 7:04 AM

Hi Karen. Good to converse with you once again. The graphic on your site of one your Dad's Analytical Charts is great, too. I know it would be work, but if you had any more of those, they would be fantastic, perhaps as an addendum to the book... But, of course, the beauty of the method is nourishing the skills that your Dad encourages in his book, that we all develop them ourselves and not depend on the work of others as a crutch. But, those are so illustrative and instructional that they might be a great encouragement to students. When I showed my students the one on your site, the pens and pencils starting hitting the paper as it opened up their minds to the possibilites in expression that were possible.

Thanks for making the pdf of the book available!

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 7:37 AM

Karen Collins:

This is Karen Jensen Collins--our family owns the copyright to the Jensen book that Bill Cook referenced above with our link to the free ebook (which is actually just a pdf, not a true ebook). That IS a good suggestion--that we look into Logos making that book available digitally. It's something I've wanted to do with Dad's books, many of which are OP now, but we believe are still marketable.

Karen,

I began using your dad's books decades ago. I was challenged by his innovative approach to analyzing and marking scripture. I started using similar methods in my preparation for teaching my Sunday School class. That became easier after I began using some of the earliest Bible software. The next step was to print out my "analyzed" texts for my class.

Logos software has enhanced my ability to do what your dad's earlier works challenged me to do.

I am very grateful for Irving Jensen and the impact he had on my ability to understand and teach the Bible.  

Posts 3
Karen Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 8:03 AM

Ah, this is so encouraging to read! How awesome that God is continuing the ministry of those books long after Dad's homegoing (1996) . . .

And yes, Bill, I DO have several more of Dad's analytical charts (not just drafts either) that I intend to scan and include on the page.

I need to "get with the program" and look into what Logos software is out there to make marking of Bible text easy. The last one I ever used was years ago when I used to work at Precept Ministries -- it was the Bible Study Companion, I think it was called (Precept sold it at the time). I'm sure great strides have been made since then to make it even more functional and user-friendly.

Thanks, y'all!

In His grace,
karen

Posts 44
Michael Krogstad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 8:40 AM

Thanks for sharing his work with us.

Michael Krogstad

Posts 3205
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 6:52 PM

Dear Kaye,I am excited too,even though I do not have any clue about the book,I would be very grateful ,if this will be added to Logos format to be informed inoder to own it.

God bless you

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 81
Daniel R. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 7:25 PM

Thanks everybody! I really enjoy the threads that lead to study method!

I have started an inductive blog site for one our men's bible studies at church. Men Of Courage. It's in its infancy, but I plan to add instructions. The site is geared toward letting the men correspond throughout the week as we go through study handouts.

To the original poster, my advise is to get as many different books of bible study methods as you can handle. I am an enthusiast when it comes to these books! I have found that they all offer up something unique. For me, these kinds of books are second only to the bible itself!

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 8:30 AM

William J Cook:
And, I too believe the Jensen book would be an excellent addition to the Logos stable of stars...

Yes Me too!

Thank you as well, William. I have an old, ragamuffin tattered copy of the book. It's nice to at least have it in PDF format. Logos would be ideal!

OT: Kaye, thoughts and prayers for you with your Mother's situation.

Debra

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Page 1 of 6 (115 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS