Catholics by Country / Percent

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 7 2013 7:28 AM

Even if one is not Catholic, this season's selection process is certainly interesting to follow, and of course all over the news. This graphic came from CNN. I was surprised on Mexico / Brazil.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1791
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 8:20 AM

This is my favorite graphic...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 12:03 PM

VERY interesting! Thank you.  Tagle seems to show up a lot though he's young. I've no idea of the significance of all of these!

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 2:07 PM

Been to Mexico a few times.  Not surprised.  We were always told (and found to be true ourselves) the country was way predominantly Catholic.

Posts 9555
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 2:14 PM

I knew Brazil had a high concentration of Catholics but I didn't realize that it was #1.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 19176
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 2:58 PM

This was an interesting chart I saw recently. The shift has been quite dramatic:

Source: "The Global Catholic Population," Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, Feb 13, 2013

Posts 6710
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 3:49 PM

Europe which was once the cradle for Christianity, is fast becoming a mission field. Interesting.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:19 PM

Actually, looking at Rosie's graphs, the numbers have much to do with relative demographics (children per couple). North America is still holding its own as a percent, even with a lower birth rate (though it might include Mexico).

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:26 PM

Lynden Williams:

Europe which was once the cradle for Christianity, is fast becoming a mission field. Interesting.

While church attendance is certainly down in Europe, one should look at the first chart in this thread in relationship to this question.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 6710
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:34 PM

Thanks MJ. The numbers are small, but the percentage is high

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:36 PM

Lynden Williams:

It only takes one generation, if Christians do not pass the faith on.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:46 PM

Old news (2008) but interesting:

Islam overtakes Catholicism in number of adherents

VATICAN CITY — Islam has overtaken Roman Catholicism as the biggest single religious denomination in the world, the Vatican said on Sunday.

Monsignor Vittorio Formenti, who compiled the Vatican's 2008 yearbook of statistics, said Muslims made up 19.2 percent of the world's population and Catholics 17.4 percent.

"For the first time in history we are no longer at the top: the Muslims have overtaken us," Formenti told the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano, saying the data referred to 2006.

He said that if all Christian groups were considered, including Orthodox, Anglicans and Protestants, Christians made up 33 percent of the world's population, or about two billion people. The Vatican recently put the number of Catholics in the world at 1.13 billion. It did not provide a figure for Muslims, generally estimated to be around 1.3 billion.

Formenti said that while the percentage of Catholics in the the world's population was fairly stable, the percentage of Muslims was growing because of higher birth rates. He said the data on Muslim populations had been compiled by individual countries and reported by the United Nations. The Vatican, he said, could only vouch for its own statistics.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 6710
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:51 PM

Bob or Dan Pritchet I would like to see the percentages of Logos users by country and denomination.

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:59 PM

Posts 9555
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 5:12 PM

MJ. Smith:

What is the source of this chart? I've never heard Canada as being identified as "Catholic Christianity". Years ago it was true of Quebec but certainly I don't think it is generally true of Canada. If anything Canada is becoming more secular than anything.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 19176
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 5:23 PM

Since we're posting interesting maps of a religious nature, how about these maps of the U.S. colored according to how often the Seven Deadly Sins are committed, courtesy of geographers from Kansas State University:

More info: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/26/one-nation-seven-sins/ 

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 5:32 PM

Whew. Our county (almost) dodged all 7 deadly sins! I thought Utah was similar but one deadly sin did them in.

Posts 19176
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 5:44 PM

Bruce Dunning:

MJ. Smith:

What is the source of this chart? I've never heard Canada as being identified as "Catholic Christianity". Years ago it was true of Quebec but certainly I don't think it is generally true of Canada. If anything Canada is becoming more secular than anything.

Bruce, it looks like it comes from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups (scroll to bottom of page). If you click on the small image on that page to enlarge it, you can see the accompanying notes which explain "This map shows the religion practiced by the majority of religious persons in the states of the world. It does not depict non-religious populations." So all it's saying is that of all the people in Canada who report having any religion at all, Christianity is the most prevalent. Yes, the Catholics in Canada are mostly concentrated in Quebec, but Quebec has a higher population than all the other provinces except adjacent Ontario, and they account for half the Catholics in Canada.

This table from Statistics Canada shows the breakdown by province: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/demo30a-eng.htm (click on different provinces in the left sidebar to see other columns). Even though Canada is becoming more secular, still nearly 44% of the population reported on the census that they're Catholic (by far the largest percentage of any religious affiliation), and 29% Protestant. Much smaller for the minority religions (2% Muslim, 1% Jewish, etc.), and only 16.5% reported no religious affiliation at all. Those stats are somewhat outdated, from 2001; I think I recall that the question about religion was not asked on the 2011 census. So there's likely been a shift toward more "None of the above" adherents than 12 years ago. There are probably a growing number of Pastafarians, too.

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 5:47 PM

Bruce Dunning:
What is the source of this chart?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm which is a Canadian site.Big Smile

Posts 9555
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 6:07 PM

MJ and Rosie...Thanks for the source work. I can see how it was derived but I also think that Canada has drastically changed in the last 12 years since the stats were gathered. I also think that there are a huge number of people when asked who may identify themselves as Catholic but would seldom ever even go to church.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS