Question about Luke 24:33-34

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 5:29 PM

Eric Weiss:

Room4more:

Eric Weiss:

My question is: When/why/how did the "tradition" of the resurrection that Paul received and recited in 1 Corinthians 15 omit Jesus' initial appearance - i.e., to Mary Magdalene (longer ending of Mark and John) or to Mary Magdalene and the other Mary (Matthew)?

DMB:

That's easy, Eric.

If you ask our not-hopelessly-egalitarian pastor, it's because the John's (Mark and St.) used the Mary's to demonstrate that even hopelessly unreliable witnesses saw Jesus.  If the accounts were 'made up' they would have used respected and dependable witnesses.

You can start in Acts 5:33-42...

i have no idea what that passage in Acts has to do with Paul omitting the appearance to the woman/women as Christ's first resurrection appearance.

Oh my:

The resurrection of Christ was a fact to be proved, like all other facts, by competent and credible witnesses.

As for the Church of Corinth: Paul, therefore, appeals to the witnesses who had attested, or who yet lived to attest, the truth of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus; and shows that it was not possible that so many witnesses should have been deceived.

As this was not the first time in which the evidence had been stated to them, and as his purpose was merely to remind them of what they had heard and believed, he does not adduce all the witnesses to the event, but refers only to the more important ones.

-He does not, therefore, mention the woman to whom the Saviour first appeared;

-nor does he refer to all the times when the Lord Jesus manifested himself to his disciples.

Also note that he does not refer to them in general merely, but mentions names, and refers to persons who were then alive, who could attest the truth of the resurrection. It may be observed, also, that Paul observes probably the exact order in which the Lord Jesus appeared to the disciples, though he does not mention all the instances. Notice the account of the persons to whom the Lord Jesus appeared after his resurrection, and the order in which it was done..........

So if Paul's accounts were commonplace to previous events, as in Acts 5, they would have faded into the mist.............

It also does not seem likely at all that Peter, or the disciples, were lying. We remember that most of these individuals paid for their faith with their lives. Peter in particular was probably crucified in Rome during the reign of the Emperor Nero (1 Clement 5). If he had made up his experience of the resurrected Christ, surely he would have confessed his lie as he faced death. But he did not, because he was not lying.

Indeed, we can probably identify two points when the continued existence of the Christian movement was most vulnerable. The first was immediately following the crucifixion. Other Jewish messianic movements would come and go, their messiahs crucified by the Romans or otherwise lost to time. But this movement survived despite the death of its Messiah. The resurrection is the reason. It turned a group of scared, hiding followers into bold proclaimers of a renewed message.

Hope this helps.....

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 5:57 PM

I still don't see the connection with that Acts passage - did you cite the right passage? - and am not convinced that explains Paul's failure to mention the women.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 6:08 PM

Eric Weiss:

I still don't see the connection with that Acts passage - did you cite the right passage? - and am not convinced that explains Paul's failure to mention the women.

Well lets read yours before you refuse mine.....shall we:

[EDIT: there is a connection- do you know who Paul IS? Acts 22.3-5 / Acts 5:33- ]

Posts 4889
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 6:57 PM

Eric Weiss:

Room4more:

i have no idea what that passage in Acts has to do with Paul omitting the appearance to the woman/women as Christ's first resurrection appearance.

The answer, of course, is nothing. But the word "apostle" was used at least once in that pericope...and R4M has a fixation on that word...so he had you read the passage in his goose-chase quest to convince you and the world that his phantom has bones.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 7:10 PM

David Paul:

Eric Weiss:

Room4more:

The answer, of course, is nothing. But the word "apostle" was used at least once in that pericope...and R4M has a fixation on that word...so he had you read the passage in his goose-chase quest to convince you and the world that his phantom has bones.

Thank-you david for, again, such an insightful and contributing comment, it is so encouraging as to how you can put the Scriptures together to show the fluency and continuity. It just so amazing and awesome....

Looking forward to many more.......

Posts 4889
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 8:05 PM

Room4more:

Thank-you david for, again, such an insightful and contributing comment, it is so encouraging as to how you can put the Scriptures together to show the fluency and continuity. It just so amazing and awesome....

The real fireworks show has not been scheduled at this time. However, take your vitamins and don't step out into traffic--you will want to attend.

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 8:06 PM

Room4more:

Eric Weiss:

Well lets read yours before you refuse mine.....shall we:

[EDIT: there is a connection- do you know who Paul IS? Acts 22.3-5 / Acts 5:33- ]

Paul? Never heard of him. Oh, wait... Didn't he sing with a guy named Peter and a gal named Mary?

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 8:10 PM

File:Peter paul and mary publicity photo.JPG

yes it is a shame that "Mary" died....

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 8:17 PM

I have to go fold the laundry...by the way how many days was it the Paul spent w/Peter and no other Apostle?

Posts 4889
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 8:27 PM

Long enough to get the job done.

Posts 10797
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 8:40 PM

R4M ... being a sharpie on greek, you probably meant to say 'saw no other apostle except for James'.  So at least he saw the apostle James.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:27 PM

Denise:

R4M ... being a sharpie on greek, you probably meant to say 'saw no other apostle except for James'.  So at least he saw the apostle James.

[time-lapsed]

I have to go fold the laundry...by the way how many days was it the Paul spent w/Peter and εἶδον / ὁράω no other Apostle? except James.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS