BUG?: Bible Word Study - Translation and Bible Selection

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 7 2013 11:09 AM

Hi Brisa

I use the following steps:

1. Change my default prioritized bible from NLT to another bible (RSV for example)  Ok, RSV lacks RI, so I used NIV

2. Open the Bible Word Study Guide and either...

2b. enter a new greek word in the text box, with All Passages filter on, and create the BWS report....or   

2a. use the existing greek word in the text box, with All Passages filter on, and create the BWS report

Edit: I saw Alabama's post and tried a new greek word;  my resulted in a report that uses NLT, not my default bible RSV.  Interesting.

I changed my default prioritized bible to NIV, and the BWS report appears to work "correctly" when I enter a new greek word. This confirms Alabama's earlier finding.

When I execute those steps, the frequency histogram uses NLT in both the Lemma and Translation sections.

This also happens when I launch my customized BWS.

My template settings for BWS are:

Question: What should be the correct behavior of the BWS when the template settings are "Default Bible"?

See also Dave Hooton's comments 6th posts above.

thanks,

David

Log files: 3247.Win7Pro64-Logos5 Log Files.zip

Posts 777
Brisa Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 11:56 AM

David Bailey:

I changed my default prioritized bible to NIV, and the BWS report appears to work "correctly" when I enter a new greek word. This confirms Alabama's earlier finding.

Is it possible that the BWS you were running on the original Greek word was a saved BWS, because you had added a title or made some other edit to cause it to be saved? If the BWS is saved, it will show up in the BWS list in the Guides menu.

(If the image doesn't show up, just click on it. The forum is picky with images sometimes.) If it was saved, then it is possible that you had modified the  settings for the Lemma and/or Translation sections of that BWS. If these settings had been modified, then whatever settings were in place in the BWS template would not be reflected in the saved BWS. 

David Bailey:
Question: What should be the correct behavior of the BWS when the template settings are "Default Bible"?

The correct behavior for a new/unsaved BWS when the template settings are "Default Bible" would be for a BWS run from the Guides menu to use the preferred Bible in both the Lemma and Translation sections. A BWS started from a Bible, such as the ESV, should use that Bible instead of the preferred Bible.

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 12:37 PM

Brisa Davis:
Is it possible that the BWS you were running on the original Greek word was a saved BWS

My default prioritized bible in L5 is the NLT.  Originally, I was seeing the Translation section use ESV each time I launched a saved layout.  But I also observed the same behavior when I closed L5, launched L5 and open the WBS from Guides menu.  When I removed the greek word in cache, entered a new greek word, and then ran the report, the Translation section used my default bible NLT.

Brisa Davis:
The correct behavior for a new/unsaved BWS when the template settings are "Default Bible" would be for a BWS run from the Guides menu to use the preferred Bible in both the Lemma and Translation sections. A BWS started from a Bible, such as the ESV, should use that Bible instead of the preferred Bible.

Ok.  Thank you, Brisa, for your follow-up.

David

Posts 25652
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 3:02 PM

Brisa Davis:
Is it possible that the BWS you were running on the original Greek word was a saved BWS, because you had added a title or made some other edit to cause it to be saved? If the BWS is saved, it will show up in the BWS list in the Guides menu.

There is still  a problem with the lemma section as per my observations on the previous page I made sure none of my runs came from saved Guides

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 9:13 PM

Brisa,

My default bible is the NIV in these examples.

For a new (not customized) or unsaved BWS launched by using the right-mouse click menu of a greek lemma, I observe the following;

1. Lemma section uses the prioritized default bible (NIV) for the frequency histogram.
  2. Translation section frequency histogram uses the bible (NASB95) that contained the highlighted word.
  3. This confirms your statement above.

For a new (not customized) or unsaved BWS launched from the Guides menu, I observe the following:

1. Lemma section uses the prioritized default bible (NIV) for the frequency histogram.
  2. Translation section uses the prioritized default bible (NIV) for the frequency histogram.

I have a saved layout that contains a customized BWS. From its template, the Translation section is set to use “Default Bible.” In my layout, I observe the following:

1. Lemma section uses my prioritized default bible (NIV).
  2. Translation section uses the NLT.
  3. In the Translation section, I change the bible from NLT to LEB, then save the layout.
  4. I make sure the cloud synchronization is done, then I close L5.
  5. I launch L5 and open the layout and observe:
    1. Lemma section uses the NIV.
    2. Translation section uses NLT.
    3. Should it suppose use LEB?

I launch a BWS from the Guides menu, enter a greek word, and run the report:

1. Lemma section uses my highest prioritized bible (NIV).
  2. Translation section uses my highest prioritized bible (NIV).
  4. In Translation section, I change the bible from NIV to NKJV and save the layout.
  5. After synchronization is done, I close L5 and re-launch it.
  6. I open the layout and observe that both Lemma and Translation sections use NIV.
    1. Should the Translation section use NKJV?

What Dave Hooten is saying is that both Lemma and Translation sections in the BWS (when launching from a bible) should use that bible version in the histograms.

David

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 9:18 PM

Brisa Davis:
to use the preferred Bible in both the Lemma and Translation sections

Note that the template for the BWS does not allow a bible selection in the Lemma.  So, I guess that the "default bible" for the Lemma is hard-coded?

Posts 777
Brisa Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 11:57 AM

Dave Hooton:
If a bug is to be declared, I would say that the Lemma section is the candidate as it should also reflect the bible from which the BWS is run.

There is currently an active case looking into this behavior. I have added a link to this thread to that case.

Posts 25652
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 6:58 PM

Thanks, Brisa

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS