Bible Paragraph divisions

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 37
steve haworth | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 1 2013 8:29 AM

hiya ... what i really need is paragraph divisions of the entire Bible ..

e.g.

Gen 1:1-3

Gen 1:4-8

Gen 1:8-12 

etc

Is there any resource or way to get this ? that just lists them out in the whole Bible  (?)

Posts 22114
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 8:40 AM

Hi Steve

Are you looking for this for any particular version?

There was a discussion of this some years ago at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/23539.aspx including a suggested resource providing a "generic" outline

Graham

Posts 37
steve haworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 9:05 AM

Thanks graham,  that's a helpful article ... 

i'm not looking for any particular Bible version .. any would do, multiple ones would be even better but not essential ... just having one would be enought for me (NKJ or ESV or any ) 

it's not the pericope title i'm after .. but just the actual paragraph division. I could do it all by hand, just takes a bit of time :)

any other options to get them would be appreciated 

Posts 2476
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 9:09 AM

Getting this information out of an automated search would be difficult, if the digital copy of the Bible you have does not distinguish between paragraph breaks and other line breaks (e.g. breaks between lines of poetry).

Out of curiosity ... why would you want it?

Posts 37
steve haworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 9:33 AM

i just want all the paragraphs laid out on a word doc or spreadsheet .... and then i'd write a few words to describe that paragraph. So need it for personal study.

Posts 2476
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 9:49 AM

It seems that your workflow would not really speed up from having a pre-compiled list of paragraphs.

You could do a copy and paste of whole books of the Bible, and then do it paragraph by painstaking paragraph.

Posts 27814
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 10:40 AM

steve haworth:
what i really need is paragraph divisions of the entire Bible

That would be a problem… because the Bible wasn't written in paragraphs. Any sort of paragraph break scheme you will find will be translation dependent, because the translators add paragraphs in to assist modern readers in their native language. If you start comparing translations, you will find differences between them. If you are really wanting a pre made list, your best bet is pericopes, since there are lists of those. To be honest, that would be a more natural way of breaking it down anyways (imo). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 18778
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 10:40 AM

Lee:

It seems that your workflow would not really speed up from having a pre-compiled list of paragraphs.

You could do a copy and paste of whole books of the Bible, and then do it paragraph by painstaking paragraph.

I think he wants just the verse references for the paragraphs, not the Bible text itself, like he illustrated in his first post.

You know of course that the paragraph divisions are not in the original Hebrew and Greek. They are interpretive decisions made by the translators, and they will differ from translation to translation. If you're doing this for personal study, you are probably better off making those paragraph decisions yourself: decide which chunk to break off into its own bit to be summarized by you. It might be that in your Bible there are two or three paragraphs together which are just one sentence each, but you'd really like to treat them as all one unit. Or there might be a longer paragraph that you'd like to break up into two chunks for summarizing. You'll get more out of the study exercise if you do this level of detail yourself, I think.

Otherwise, you could open The Outline Bible or a commentary that divides up the text into chunks of about the size your looking for and copy the verse ranges from it. You'd have to delete the pericope names they've given for the divisions, so it might not be any less work than manually entering the verse ranges yourself.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 12:28 PM

alabama24:
If you are really wanting a pre made list, your best bet is pericopes
This is good advice. 

Posts 37
steve haworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 12:48 PM

great advice everyone - thanks a lot 

i think i'll look into pericopes, is there any pointers or tutorials to get them from logos ?

Posts 1724
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 12:51 PM

Hi Steve:

Here's an Excel file I fiddled with a few years ago for a project. Maybe it will help you.

[EDIT: file is being corrected; see later post below]

No longer actively posting. Please remind T-Bone to take his meds.

Posts 18778
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 1:01 PM

Robert M. Warren:

Hi Steve:

Here's an Excel file I fiddled with a few years ago for a project. Maybe it will help you.

1526.Pericopes.xls

That's awesome, Robert! Thank you for sharing it. You might want to cross-post it on the Files forum too (which is commonly used for sharing files, PBs and such), because I'm guessing there will be others who aren't following this thread who find it useful. That must have been a lot of work, and it will save others a great deal of time. I might use it myself as I've been wanting to work through making my own outline summary of the Bible as a way to ingrain its structure more in my mind.

Posts 9019
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 4:58 PM

Rosie Perera:

Robert M. Warren:

Hi Steve:

1526.Pericopes.xls

That's awesome, Robert! Thank you for sharing it. You might want to cross-post it on the Files forum too (which is commonly used for sharing files, PBs and such), because I'm guessing there will be others who aren't following this thread who find it useful. That must have been a lot of work, and it will save others a great deal of time. I might use it myself as I've been wanting to work through making my own outline summary of the Bible as a way to ingrain its structure more in my mind.

I would like to say thanks too. This would be great as a personal book. What is involved to make an xls file into a docx file?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 18778
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 5:19 PM

Bruce Dunning:
What is involved to make an xls file into a docx file?

Open the xls file.

Select All (Ctrl+A or Cmd+A on Mac)

Copy

Create a new Word document

Paste

Save the docx file.

Voila! You're done.

Posts 1724
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 8:22 PM

Robert M. Warren:
Here's an Excel file I fiddled with a few years ago

Apparently I didn't fiddle with it enough. In the process of testing a PB of it, I discovered some errors and omissions. The original file was generated from an Excel web-query, then sliced and diced. Sometimes these automated processes can run away a bit.

I have fixed those, but subsequently discovered that some of the abbreviations don't create the auto link in Logos. This is baffling, since "GEN", "PS", "JOB", for example, aren't recognized, even though I thought those are all legitimate abbreviations. Most of the abbreviations are recognized, so I don't think the all-caps are the reason.

The corrected Excel file is attached here and I edited out the earlier attachment.

7484.Pericopes.xls

When I get the PB issue worked out, I'll post the .docx file here and then post them both in the Files section.

Posts 9019
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 8:49 PM

Robert M. Warren:
When I get the PB issue worked out, I'll post the .docx file here and then post them both in the Files section.

Thanks Robert!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2476
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 2 2013 3:12 AM

Rosie Perera:

Lee:

I think he wants just the verse references for the paragraphs, not the Bible text itself, like he illustrated in his first post.

I thought the OP wanted paragraphs and not pericopes, hence my comment that he would not be better off with a pre-compiled list. He'd still have to spend considerable time looking up the text and producing the summaries.

Anyway, a story with a happy ending!

Posts 1724
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 2 2013 7:29 AM

I have made a few more corrections to the Excel file (too late to delete earlier version) and have created a .docx with milestones & headings.

1563.Pericopes.xls

2867.Pericopes PB.docx

Posts 9019
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 2 2013 9:33 AM

Thanks for sharing.

Posts 37
steve haworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 2:47 AM

great stuff Robert ... thank you !

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS