Proclaim for Windows crash on startup

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 194
Allen Petersen | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 17 2013 10:16 AM

Friday at 12am PST we started seeing crashes from a handful of Proclaim users on Windows. Our current theory is the crash is related to a third party anti-virus package incorrectly detecting one of our files as harmful. If Proclaim is crashing on startup you can try the following steps:

• Uninstall Proclaim via the Control Panel
  • Disable any anti-virus and spyware packages you have installed
  • Re-install Proclaim from proclaimonline.com

If this solves your problem please reply to this forum thread with details about what anti-virus and/or spyware software you have installed.

Our apologies for the inconvenience I’m sure this has caused. Thank you for your patience.

Allen Petersen

Posts 7

I am using Webroot anti virus software. I did disable it and was able to reinstall Proclaim and it is now up and running. Am I going to be able to start my antivirus software again? I am not comfortable being on line (even with Proclaim) with protection. Is this going to continue to be a problem?

Posts 194
Allen Petersen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 17 2013 11:16 AM

Thank you for your report. I was able to also reproduce the problem with Webroot SecureAnywhere. I have opened a support ticket but I do not know how long it will take them to resolve the issue. In the meantime I suggest installing a different antivirus package. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and I've tested it with Proclaim.

It can be downloaded from: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

Posts 32
OCGF1 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 17 2013 5:27 PM

We have been successful with Webroot as long as it remains disabled.  Once enabled to run it will immediately scan and quarantine the file and render Proclaim inoperable.  

• Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center
  • AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core 2.5 GHz
  • OCZ DDR2 8Gb
  • Logos 5
  • Proclaim
Posts 32
OCGF1 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 17 2013 10:26 PM

Hi Allen,

I have been able to temporarily disable certain Webroot functions that will allow Webroot to continue to run without scanning and blocking Proclaim.

By disabling these 3 functions while using proclaim and enable at the end of the services when you can scan your system to make sure no viruses infultrated your system while Proclaim was in use.  You can also enable the windows firewall and antivirus as a backup if you feel uncomfortable without these features enabled in Webroot.  I hope this helps.

God bless,

Ps3

• Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center
  • AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core 2.5 GHz
  • OCZ DDR2 8Gb
  • Logos 5
  • Proclaim
Posts 194
Allen Petersen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 18 2013 12:23 AM

Webroot has acknowledged the problem and have updated their virus definition files but I don't know how long it will take for this change to make it to everyone's computer. There is a workaround that you can do to get Proclaim working again without having to disable Webroot. You need to restore the files named "awesomium.dll" from SecureAnywhere's quarantine. If you follow these three steps Proclaim should start working again.

Open up the Webroot SecureAnywhere status window and select PC Security

On the left select Quarantine and then "View Quarantine"

Check all of the files with the name awesomium.dll and select Restore

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS