Jaroslav Pelikan

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 129
Tom Blanchard | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 21 2009 12:03 PM

Any chance we might someday see Pelikan's 5-volume The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine? It's a gem!

Posts 27981
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 12:07 PM

Anything by Pelikan is well worth including.  I'd pay a fair amount to have his Creeds and Confessions of Faith the in Christian Tradition.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 12:08 PM

Tom Blanchard:

Any chance we might someday see Pelikan's 5-volume The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine? It's a gem!

I think I already suggested this so you can count me in.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 36
Kris Kennedy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 12:08 PM

I second this suggestion of Pelikan! 

Posts 129
Tom Blanchard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 12:10 PM

Sorry, George, I missed it Tongue Tied. You're just too prolific!

Posts 112
T MacLeod | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 12:36 PM

I'd love to see this.  I thought about suggesting it myself only a few days ago, but didn't get around to it.

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 5:35 AM

+1 Yes

I have this in paperback. Would love to see it in Logos format!

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 1:07 PM

Another winner.  Please put it on the Logos possibilities list.

Posts 67
LO | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:42 AM

Another second....

Posts 67
LO | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:46 AM

I would love to see Pelikan's multi-volume successor to Schaff's classic also on Logos: Creeds and Confessions of Faith in the Christian Tradition

Posts 308
James W Bennett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 4:03 AM

YesYes

Yes to both sets by Pelikan...

---

James W Bennett

http://syriac.tara-lu.com/

Posts 67
Jim L. West | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 2 2011 9:40 AM

YesYes

Yes to both.

Posts 4
Douglas B. Janzen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 3 2011 10:53 AM

I also would like to register my support and interest in both sets! YesYesYes

Posts 129
Matt Zimmerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2011 11:03 AM

YesYes

Posts 2715
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2011 11:54 AM

YesYes. Yes to both set!

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 35
Lloyd Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 6:09 PM

Would love to see The Christian Tradition! Any hint that this might be on the cards??

Posts 3
Timothy Sasaki | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2012 7:31 PM

YesYes Double Down on Pelikan's Creeds and Confessions/History of the Development of Christian Doctrine!

Posts 3300
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 6:35 AM

sign me up.

mm

mm.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2012 3:48 AM

Which printed book by Pelikan deals with the earliest Church citing ECFs? I allready have the Catholic Foundations package and have pre-ordered Melito of Sardis, so a printed book is enough, it's more crucial to have the ECF's on computer.

Another question: is there some more ECF, not included in what I have, that You recommend me to get? I think that what's valuable is that some of the earliest Church Fathers had access to a more original Bible, thereby the works by them are less biased than later author's.

Also, if someone would like to help out this guy: http://www.christianforums.com/t7654793/ If You don't have CF membership, post the suggestion here and I'll PM it to him!

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 1609
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2012 5:23 AM

Unix:

Which printed book by Pelikan deals with the earliest Church citing ECFs? I allready have the Catholic Foundations package and have pre-ordered Melito of Sardis, so a printed book is enough, it's more crucial to have the ECF's on computer.

Starting with the obvious - vol. 1 of his 5 volume The Christian Tradition covers the period from 100-600.  It is admittedly not the easiest read, but is well worth the effort.  Much easier starting points for Pelikan would be Jesus through the Centuries and Mary through the Centuries.  Also his book Christianity and Classical Culture is a great treatment of the Cappadocians.

Unix:

Another question: is there some more ECF, not included in what I have, that You recommend me to get? I think that what's valuable is that some of the earliest Church Fathers had access to a more original Bible, thereby the works by them are less biased than later author's.

Christians throughout the ages have written about the faith.  The ECF is really a decent collection, but there is much more out there.  The most COMPLETE collection would have to be Migne, if you know the languages.  In addition many works have been translated into English.  Westminster/John Knox's Library of Christian Classics is good, as is Paulist Press's Ancient Christian Writers set.  Also from Paulist is their Classics of Western Spirituality collection.  Rutledge has some good volumes in their Early Church Fathers series, which is different from the ECF set you mention.

But since you are asking the question you did, I really don't think it would be wise to get buried in the near bottomless pit this can turn into.  I would suggest, rather, a two pronged approach.

A)  Read a basic church history text and find a figure you want to know more about.  Then read whatever they left behind...

B)  Pick up a good introduction to the Fathers (I would recommend Ramsey's book, Beginning to Read the Fathers, but I am sure there are others) to be a guide.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Orthodox Silver, Lutheran Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS