Video series on preparing a sermon complete!

Page 2 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 57 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 7
Chris Kouba | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 4:27 PM

What books do you have in the collection you showed in your first video regarding the NT use of the OT?  I assume that the Commentary of the NT use of the OT is in there but what other resources are apart of that collection?

Great videos.  So helpful to see how this amazing tool is used practically.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 5:35 PM

Mark,

I want to thank you for all of the hard work that you've put into sharing your sermon prep with us.

I also would like to say thank you for being gracious and humble, we've benefitted from your example there also.

if what we've seen on the forum is any indictation, then your congregation is fortunate to have you as their pastor.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 223
Bruce Junkermann | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 5:39 PM

Thanks Mark for responding so thoughtfully.  And I absolutely agree with your assessment.  My thought was if there was important lexical, grammatical or sytatical information that would help in the understanding of the passage I would want to make note of that.  Of course, not to parade my knowledge, but to have the best understanding of the passage so I can present it's truth in the clearest way possible.  Noting that information would seem profitable for future reference.

Also I was wondering if the sermon you preached was online.  I would love to listen to it.

Thanks for your patience with me.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:46 AM

Bruce,

No patience was required! We all have our different approaches, and I must admit mine is a minimal note-taking one. (I almost never took any notes in class in seminary, for example.) The sermon is online:  though sermons have a habit of rarely being as good as we would like!

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:54 AM

ChrisKouba:

What books do you have in the collection you showed in your first video regarding the NT use of the OT?  I assume that the Commentary of the NT use of the OT is in there but what other resources are apart of that collection?

I have:

• Old Testament Quotes in the New Testament
  • Old Testament Quotations and Allusions in the New Testament
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 4:35 AM

Mark Barnes:
Generally my congregation don't care too much about Greek/Hebrew, and nor should they. Neither do I want to undermine their confidence in the Bible they carry in their hands. So I try to wear my new-found knowledge lightly, letting it inform my thinking, but not feeling the need to parade it before them

They need to devote a whole semester to achieving this attitude in seminary. Every time I hear the words "a better translation of this word would be" from the pulpit, I cringe (All the more so because I am sure that I did it as well). There are times that we must disagree with how a word or phrase are translated, but we need to make sure that it does not rob our people of their confidence in their Bible.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 5:48 AM

For those who've followed this thread and watched the videos...I'd recommend listening to Mark's sermon, it's both a good sermon in it's own right and it's interesting to see where this all led....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 7:53 AM

Robert Pavich:
I'd recommend listening to Mark's sermon

Where can we find this?

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 8:16 AM

Mark, your series is excellent!

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 8:30 AM

steve clark:

Robert Pavich:
I'd recommend listening to Mark's sermon

Where can we find this?

I linked to it in an earlier post.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:51 AM

Mark Barnes:
I linked to it in an earlier post.

Found it !

Thank you Mark for: sharing your insight on how to use L4, for taking the time to create these wonderful videos, for being willing and yielded to our Lord Jesus, for being a good shepard to your flock whom the Good Shepard has entrusted to you, thanks for all that you do!

may our Lord Jesus richly bless you and your family and your flock and continue to do so

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 223
Bruce Junkermann | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:16 PM

Excellent sermon Mark!  It ought to be posted with your videos.  The videos lead to up to the edge but the sermon takes the blindfold off to see the view.  Thanks so much.

Posts 316
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:30 PM

Mark,

Thank you for your videos, they were very helpful to me! I appreciate your efforts to share these with us.

Luuk

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 8:57 AM

Mark Barnes:

I've now finished my video series on preparing a sermon. It's in four parts, and the first two I've posted before. Here's all the videos, in case you missed some. It's best to view them in full screen mode. Once you've clicked play, look for the little button with four arrows next to the Vimeo logo.

Getting Started

Mark,

I have just finished going through the first two videos. I took about five hours and created the layouts on my Logos 4.

This is the best training for Logos 4 that I have seen!

Thanks again for the great videos!

Bill Gordon

Posts 58
Emery Horvath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 2:55 AM

Mark,

Thanks SO MUCH for your videos.  It has really helped me in setting up and using Logos 4.  As a minister myself, I have several thousand sermons of my own generated outside of Logos 4 in Microsoft Word.

My question is, how do you manage/organize all the clippings and notes in your system that would be generated for hundreds and hundreds of messages?  I realize that Logos 4 hasn't been out long enough to generate this kind of volume.  But I am just trying to think ahead.

Any thoughts on this I would grateful for.  Thanks for all your hard work here.

In His Service,

Emery

Emery,

The natural plus the supernatural together make an explosive force for God.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 4:25 AM

Emery,

In the final video, I show briefly how you can create sub-folders and sub-sub-folders in Logos favourites, which helps with organisation. Like you, I am a little concerned that as my volume grows my system will become unmanageable. But at the moment, I don't see a viable alternative, so I'm trusting that Logos will tweak things in the future as my notes grow.

Mark

Posts 314
Steven L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 5:02 AM

Mark, what a great service you are performing for all of us. Can I hire  you as a personal tutor? Big Smile

Posts 229
Hans van den Herik | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 5:07 AM

Mark

Thanks for that video's. It realy gives me fresh ideas!

I hope logos will do the rest to straighten the path of taking notes more easily

Hans vd Herik

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 10:11 AM

The Logos wiki site has a list of several great videos including the ones done by Mark.
http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Video_Tutorials

LaRosa Johnson has posted a great video on how to use Microsoft OneNote with Logos 4 instead of using the built-in Logos note capability.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QGGD7rOEYs

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 8:05 AM

Mark,

Again, you have done a great service to the Logos community. I thank you. Be blessed.

PS - All of the videos (on the link above) are helpful and so is the WIKI site. This is something I had ignored for quite some time thinking the FORUM was enough. Then I discovered that the BLOG contains very useful news and information - that I might have missed. In these three areas, we have all the tremendous support we need to utilize such a tremendous tool - LOGOS. Thanks be to God and to Him be all the glory, now and forever!

Page 2 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS