WARNING TO LOGOS—slow down

Page 3 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 74 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2328
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 6:25 PM

I'm not sure how it would work, but I do like the idea of being able to lock in a price for a limited time and purchase it later.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 7:53 PM

Ronald Quick:

I'm not sure how it would work, but I do like the idea of being able to lock in a price for a limited time and purchase it later.

A good solution in general is to pay when you order like this:

Set up a paypal (or similar) account.

Set up a paypal visa/mastercard tied to that account.

When you place a prepub - give them your paypal visa number and load that ammount into paypal. 

Walk away.

When the order finally pumps through the money is already there.

It's great in theory...

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 7:58 PM

TCBlack:

Ronald Quick:

A good solution in general is to pay when you order like this:

Set up a paypal (or similar) account.

Set up a paypal visa/mastercard tied to that account.

When you place a prepub - give them your paypal visa number and load that ammount into paypal. 

Walk away.

When the order finally pumps through the money is already there.

It's great in theory...

I can't tie up $5000.00 for any period of time while waiting for an item to ship.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 8:00 PM

TCBlack:

give them your paypal visa number and load that ammount into paypal. 

Walk away.

This won't work if you also have an eBay addiction.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 8:05 PM

Logos offers the chance to pay in advance with 

Book Cache: Monthly Subscription

-Dan

Posts 1825
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 8:11 PM

I offer money-management counseling for Logos users who has problems via webcam.

It doesn't cost very expensive, just enough to cover my book expenses.

Let me help you ......

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 8:18 PM

George Somsel:
I can't tie up $5000.00 for any period of time while waiting for an item to ship.
At least it would be earning interest.  A pathetic level of interest. But interest nonetheless. 

LOL

I hear you George. At the moment I can't tie up $50.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 10:34 AM

TCBlack:

Similar boat, but I am also making a monthly payment to cover previous large purchases. But for the more sane the Book Cache: Monthly Subscription is a good plan. Yes I would not start contributing for a prepub purchase until it was under contract, but that being said if you had several of the large sets coming up (for me the only big pricey one coming up in a more immediate release time frame is  Eerdmans Commentary Collection (13 vols.) since it doesn't appear NIB is close to being worked on, despite hopes offered me in an email months back). Putting out $30 a month could really soften the blow of the $285.... 

-Dan

“When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.” ― Desiderius Erasmus

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 10:37 AM

I have it on good authority Erasmus bought most of his books of CP too.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 3033
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 12:43 PM

hmm.

mm.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 1:27 PM

Dan Francis:

TCBlack:

“When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.” ― Desiderius Erasmus

Can anyone provide a source for this attribution as I cannot find the original quote, it is very commonly quoted but is this what he actually said?

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 2:00 PM

Mike Pettit:

Dan Francis:

TCBlack:

Can anyone provide a source for this attribution as I cannot find the original quote, it is very commonly quoted but is this what he actually said?

Like you I have been unable to locate this.  It isn't in the Logos Erasmus works though I expected it might be in the epistles.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 2:02 PM

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Desiderius_Erasmus 

<quote>

Ad Graecas literas totum animum applicui; statimque, ut pecuniam acceptero, Graecos primum autores, deinde vestes emam.

I have turned my entire attention to Greek. The first thing I shall do, as soon as the money arrives, is to buy some Greek authors; after that, I shall buy clothes.  -Letter to Jacob Batt (12 April 1500); Collected Works of Erasmus Vol 1 (1974)

Variant translation: When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.

</quote>

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 2:08 PM

That variant translation is quite variant since it doesn't mention books generically but rather Greek authors.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 2:43 PM

I believe the proper context for understanding Erasmus' quote is that he was throwing an ethnic Greek dinner party for some friends. Therefore, he was going to buy some Greek cookbooks first, then a Greek outfit and some Greek food to serve.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 3:21 PM

Randy W. Sims:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Desiderius_Erasmus 

<quote>

Ad Graecas literas totum animum applicui; statimque, ut pecuniam acceptero, Graecos primum autores, deinde vestes emam.

I have turned my entire attention to Greek. The first thing I shall do, as soon as the money arrives, is to buy some Greek authors; after that, I shall buy clothes.  -Letter to Jacob Batt (12 April 1500); Collected Works of Erasmus Vol 1 (1974)

Variant translation: When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.

</quote>

Many thanks for this, it never ceases to amaze me how often famous quotes are pretty much made up as is the case here.

Posts 247
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 3:43 PM

Fortunately for my wallet, Logos continues to be painfully slow with adding more Pentecostal works, and I doubt we'll see a Pentecostal Base Package any time soon.  So I'm saved from the anguish that afflicts many others here.

But truth be told, I'd at least like to have the chance to be anguished.  Stick out tongue

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 4:03 PM

Milkman:

Hey Mike?

With your money-management counseling can you throw in a couple of these resources? I'll gladly pay you on a monthly basis with 5% interest. 

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a Ken Ham today.

Posts 100
N/A | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 3:13 AM

There is a relevant Faithlife group: Creating a budget and cancelling orders, mentioned on Logos forums: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/70645.aspx?PageIndex=1.

L2 Catholic new; Used: ODCC L5 Reformed Silver L6 Full Crossgrade; L6 Chinese Bronze new; L6 Ancient Literature Feature Expansion Collection (25 vols.) new, no dynamic pricing. Before packs had 100 books incl. AYBRL new

Page 3 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS