Logos 6 and current Logos 5/4 users?

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 518
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:05 AM

Hi,

I am hearing more and more rumors about Logos 6 in the pipeline. I am just wondering if, after Logos 6 is released, current Logos 4/5 users will have to buy another crossgrade package (as users moving from Libronix and Logos 4 had to pay)? I have just spend quite a lot of money on Logos 5, so I am worried that I  will have to pay for another crossgrade soon.

Posts 28728
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:22 AM

First, there are no rumors. Just bumpin gums. Second, the software engine is always free. When L5 was first announced, those who purchased a new base package were able to get the engine first. After a few months, the engine became available to everyone. A little while later, a minimal cross grade was made available. To answer your question, you won't have to buy anything. As to timing, Logos isn't going to tell you when another major release will appear. Personally, I think we are more than a year away. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6686
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:23 AM

While Logos has not made any statements on the release of Logos 6, all your resources from Logos 4/5 (based on previous experience) will work in L6. If they introduce new databases, you may have to pay for them, but the engine has always been free.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 40
Everett Doonand | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:50 AM
alabama24:
First, there are no rumors. Just bumpin gums.
Alabama, there's no bumpin gums. I heard from someone inside (can't tell who!) they are already working on a early stage of L6 version, but as Lynden said, most probably all resources will work in L6...
Posts 11332
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 8:16 AM

Plus I just got my Polident yesterday. So there.

If I remember right, the primary L6 kickoff events are (this is just like Jesus before he left, though he didn't number them) (1) when you see key members of the forum disappear, (2) they start making barely useful changes to L5 and messing it up (B-team coders), (3) forum 'stars' begin saying there's no L6 but curiously qualifying it, and most important (4) they assure everyone that they will not know the times or seasons when Logos6 will appear.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 78
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 10:03 AM

I would expect that even with a deadline in 2015, work on L6 is already well advanced and nearing completion and that Logos is already in the early stages of working on L7!

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 10:32 AM

I too would be shocked if Logos wasn't already developing Logos 6, even though I'm expecting a November 2015 release.

If you compare the Logos 4 Release Notes and the Logos 5 Release Notes, you'll see the release dates are remarkably consistent between the two releases. We're currently on Logos 5.2a, and at this stage in the L4 release cycle we were at 4.2b — and we were still about 18 months and three major versions (4.3, 4.5 and 4.6) from Logos 5 at that point. I see no evidence that L6 will be any different.

And just as importantly, no-one moving from Libronix and Logos 4 had to buy a crossgrade package. Many users chose to do so to benefit from additional datasets, but plenty more just downloaded the free Logos 5 engine.

Posts 5011
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 11:31 AM

I agree with the likelihood of a Nov. 2015 announce--said so a year or two ago.

Posts 1358
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 12:56 PM

Mark Barnes:

I too would be shocked if Logos wasn't already developing Logos 6, even though I'm expecting a November 2015 release.

If you compare the Logos 4 Release Notes and the Logos 5 Release Notes, you'll see the release dates are remarkably consistent between the two releases. We're currently on Logos 5.2a, and at this stage in the L4 release cycle we were at 4.2b — and we were still about 18 months and three major versions (4.3, 4.5 and 4.6) from Logos 5 at that point. I see no evidence that L6 will be any different.

And just as importantly, no-one moving from Libronix and Logos 4 had to buy a crossgrade package. Many users chose to do so to benefit from additional datasets, but plenty more just downloaded the free Logos 5 engine.

e

I agree that is the pattern that Logos has followed. I would advise no one to be hesitate about buying or upgrading this year or even until fall 2015. 

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 3:00 PM

I've read where people have openly said they were on the private beta (something I would love to be a part of!) of 6...

Any how, even if it is "done" now, I bet its held until the end of the lifecycle of 5 (IE another 18 months or so).

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 4:49 PM

abondservant:

I've read where people have openly said they were on the private beta (something I would love to be a part of!) of 6... 

Where?

Posts 28728
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 5:13 PM

Like I said, nothing but bumping gums. 

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:04 PM

A thread like this back in January... Post was there in the morning and gone by the evening.

The post said L6 was approaching Gold if the RC had no bugs...

Not a logos employee - but it was an MVP. *shrug*

Posts 19083
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:11 PM

They always have concurrent development on future products even while they are continuing to roll out more updates to the current version. I would expect we'll see several more 5.x releases (including both minor bugfix releases and major feature additions) before any L6 is announced. I'm guessing fall 2015 is a likely timeframe for the latter given their past history.

Logos has not said anything about any plans for L6 yet, but people get to speculating and posting their wishlist for features to be in L6, and before you know it the forums are abuzz with "rumors" about a forthcoming L6. Frankly to me, it's just a number. They're still on 5.2b beta. They could come out with several more 5.x's and add a bunch of new features to each, and I'd be happy. I don't need it to be a major increment. I'm not sure the change from 4.6 to 5 was a large enough leap to get all excited about (certainly not like from 3.0g to 4 where the whole UI was revamped). It could have been called 4.8 for all I care. And knowing that they had gotten up to 4.6 before they released 5, I'm fully expecting a 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, and 5.6, as well as minor increments between those (5.3a, and so on) before we see anything warranting a big new leap in version number.

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:31 PM

No doubt - having been a part of other private beta cycles for other software (McAfee Anti-Virus for a number of years (though not since 06) to name one), and to echo whats been said in the thread both versions are developed concurrently for a time. Logos doesn't finish 4.6 and then wake up the next day deciding to get started on 5; more likely it started the day after 4 was released - planing and road maps etc, then things are coded, then alpha testing, then private beta, then public beta... Logos does this even with their iOS app (private beta testing).

I have no doubt that some dev somewhere within the flatiron building - likely more than one dev - has 6 running on their laptop, and/or in a virtual machine.

Posts 30237
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:32 PM

abondservant:
A thread like this back in January... Post was there in the morning and gone by the evening.

Either your memory or the poster is incorrect. That was not an L6 beta. There are several features which we have been told are underdevelopment which have not yet appeared in a beta so I'd bet on a later rather than sooner date for L6.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:47 PM

The confidence of your assertion leads me to believe you have insider information - which leads me to believe you are a part of the private beta.

Interesting :)

Posts 19083
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 7:15 PM

abondservant:
The confidence of your assertion leads me to believe you have insider information - which leads me to believe you are a part of the private beta.

I'm one of the best bug-finders they've got, and they haven't invited me to a private beta. So I doubt there is one yet. If they had, I would keep my mouth shut about it and wouldn't lie, but I'm telling the truth that I have not been invited to any private beta for L6 yet. That's no guarantee they haven't inadvertently bypassed me. But that would be unusual. Or maybe they are annoyed at what a good bug-finder I am and don't really want the release of this thing delayed by me bashing it too much. Smile But I'd use Occam's Razor and suggest that the more likely explanation is that L6 has not gone into a private beta yet. If we're expecting a release sometime around November 2015, I would say it's probably way premature even for an internal alpha release. That might happen sometime in May or June of next year, with a private beta in say July or Aug, and a public beta in maybe Sept or Oct.

Posts 28728
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 7:37 PM

Deleted by user

Posts 19083
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 8:31 PM

alabama24:

I am personally on a Logos 7 alpha test program, but I am under strict and binding agreements not to tell anyone. 

And you've just broken your side of the agreement, so they've booted you out. Sorry. Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS