CPU-question: L2- & L3-cache AMD quad core; battery; fan

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 7:31 AM

Keith Larson:
but at that point I think your own brain will be the limiting factor for efficient study!

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 10:09 AM

Lee Garrison:

Unix

It would help to know the budget for a computer you have to help answer this.

Does this answer your question? >>> He has to float a loan to buy a cooling fan.

Unix:
First of all, my father doesn't know what computers and when I buy to others, or how many. So whatever he has said is irrelevant, today I asked him to borrow me money for the HDD fan I had just found but he refused to borrow and he thinks it's almost never worthwhile to buy accessories or drives for used computers and he doesn't realize I will never afford a new computer.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 2:48 PM

My pagefile is currently 10.7GB. Will 8GB RAM be enough in a new laptop (8GB is what I currently have)?:

Keith Larson:
Yes. My bad GB.

As I said 8GB will be noticeably faster, even if you are not running lots of programs. Given your scenario 8 GB if not 16 GB would be in order:

Unix:
Keith, by 2MB, 4MB, 8MB and 16MB memory You are referring to GB of RAM, right?

Will the below Samsung quad-core be worth the price difference and be a lot better at running discussions in Chrome tabs or Logos and Accordance (to better focus I should not do as much discussing on forums and looking up books on the web at the same time that I'm for example trying to learn Koiné Greek), or should I buy no new computer and swap/buy to get a maximum amount of Accordance language resources, Accordance Collections and Accordance Editions of commentaries that I have such as Hermeneia, and I would swap so I would give the user my Logos Edition Hermeneia/Continental?
How much lower do You think the price for the Samsung quad-core could go if it's still on sale and I start negotiating with the seller, You think?:

Unix:
EDIT: Here an example of an OK dual core laptop, with specs: http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Dell_Latitude_3330_Core_i5_128GB_SSD_harddisk_54339938.htm?ca=11&w=2 Ad price $407. If I would buy it, which I won't, I would not afford very many Accordance books but maybe enough, I'll negotiate with the person with the Accordance books. EDIT3: verdict: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/laptop/3452968/dell-latitude-3330-review/?tab=verdictTab#top

EDIT2: here's how much a quad core laptop costs, with specs: http://www.blocket.se/uppsala/Samsung_i_toppskick___AMD_Quad__8GB_RAM__1TB_53572397.htm?ca=11&w=2 $528. That's definitely more than I can afford, but the ad is very old so perhaps the price can be negotiated if it's not sold.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 6:36 AM

Unix,

What is your current budget for a laptop (desktop)? How much are you able to spend this month without going into debt?  I think there are more appropriate websites out there to ask questions regarding CPU L2/L3 cache, Intel vs AMD CPU, chipsets, memory, battery charge efficiency, hard drive configurations (RAID-1, RAID-0, RAID-10) and so on.   Google your questions.  You may already know these popular sites:

http://www.anandtech.com/

http://www.tomshardware.com/

I'm sure some or all of your hardware questions can be answered on these sites.  Regarding what hardware to use for Logos and Accordance.  Well, what issues are you having with your current computer hardware?  Have you seen the recommended computer specs from Logos?  This is from http://www.logos.com/product/24549/diamond

• Intel i5 Processor (or AMD equivalent)
  • 6GB+ RAM
  • Windows 8
  • DVD-ROM drive (only required for non-downloadable items)
  • 1280X1024 display
  • 1GB+ DirectX11 Compatible Video Card
  • 30GB Free Space - Internal HDD/SSD Only

Unix:
It's about how long I will be able to use the laptop. Things that can't be replaced afterwards are what matter the most.

From your other post, I'd say that the life span of your computer depends on how you take care of it.  Some brands are better known for quality than others. I have been using the same laptop (an old Lenovo IBM Thinkpad) for 7 years and it runs Logos just fine, albeit it's slow and below the recommended specs.

Happy Computing!   Smile

David

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 7:20 AM

Depends $0-400-500:

DBailey:
What is your current budget for a laptop?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 7:33 AM

Unix:

Depends $0-400-500:

DBailey:
What is your current budget for a laptop?

If You Really have $400-$500 to spend there are hundreds of possibilities. The first zero in your budget is troubling. Having zero to spend will seriously limit your choices. One could assume that you would be expecting someone else to finance your venture. How is your Father?, By the way.

Posts 74
Ralph Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 7:59 AM

Credit where credit is due:

He is able to stretch the funds he doesn't have. He is somehow able to buy equipment and software for his girlfriend. While not on par with feeding the multitudes or turning water into wine, Making something from nothing could be viewed as a modern day miracle. Big Smile

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 9:41 AM

No there are not after the shipping around the globe and VAT when new:

Schezic:
If You Really have $400-$500 to spend there are hundreds of possibilities.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 10:21 AM

Unix:
No there are not after the shipping around the globe and VAT when new

You probably have mentioned it somewhere, but which European country do you live in?  Are there computer stores in your area? Perhaps what you need more than a new computer is a computer store in your town or city so that you (and other folks who are looking at new computers) don't have to pay international shipping?

I wish you and your father good health more than anything else.

David

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 10:26 AM

DBailey:

Perhaps what you need more than a new computer is a computer store in your town or city so that you (and other folks who are looking at new computers) don't have to pay international shipping?

I wish you and your father good health more than anything else.

UMMMM I doubt having a local computer store down the block is going to improve his father's health. Stick out tongue

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 1:43 PM

Ralph, no I don't have a girlfriend, see: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/85648/600823.aspx#600823 in the General subforum:

Ralph Hale:
He is somehow able to buy equipment and software for his girlfriend.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 1:49 PM

You are aware that computers and parts cost a lot in the U.K.? I don't live in the U.K. but the VAT is even higher here. I don't know of any country with higher VAT, 25%, it affects prices for used computers and parts also. No parts are made here locally, when new everything has to be shipped from Taiwan to the U.S., and from there to Europe, which means about 20,000 miles or more by ship:

DBailey:
You probably have mentioned it somewhere, but which European country do you live in?  Are there computer stores in your area? Perhaps what you need more than a new computer is a computer store in your town or city so that you (and other folks who are looking at new computers) don't have to pay international shipping?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 2:46 PM

I generally recommend that people by a new computer from a well known brand with known support capabilities ... HP, Dell, Toshiba, Apple, etc.  It's certainly true that you can find systems from competent resellers that have better specs for a variety of individual components.  But my general advice is to stick with the major brands and buy a pre-configured product that meets the recommended requirements for the software you are using.  Not the minimum, but the recommended.

I think replies here do a great job of pointing to what that may look like.  For Logos, you have than information here.  You are right to ask questions about the specifics of the detail technical specs, but don't get too bogged down in those.  I would suggest that we are looking for reasonable performance at a reasonable price.  It would be easy to get paralyzed by over-engineering the decision. I've been there myself.

Reading through all your posts I would say a couple of things:

- If you bought a computer in 2013 that is equipped with 2013 technology and you are having problems something is not right.  Almost any laptop (not all) built in 2013 should be capable of running Logos adequately.  I have  a lower end HP laptop with integrated graphics and 4GB RAM with a standard 5400 RPM hard drive and Logos works just fine. $500.  Some are doing it with less, But I think that is a reasonable starting point with a reasonable life span of 4-5 years, give or take.

- If you have a $500 USD limit on your overall budget and there is a 25% VAT where you live, you are limited more on your choices.  Effectively, you only have a $375 USD budget and that does not bode well for a "middle of the road" purchase.  In this case, you may want to consider limping along with what you have and work your way up to an $800 USD balance to start.  That will get you into a $600 USD laptop which should work out much better in the long run.  It may take a little longer to get up to that amount.

Hope that helps, Unix.  Good luck!

Steve

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 3:09 PM

Thanks Steve! Probably You didn't read my latest reply in the "General" subforum. To tell You what I wrote there I said it's from the Winter 2011/2012. I bought it used. There's no errors other than perhaps that it's sometimes a bit fragmented. Last time it was installed from scratch was January 2014 and there's Kaspersky antivirus. I should run Malwarebytes actively searching too but I tried out and the whole computer went really slow so I didn't pay for that for it. Speaking of which - might be an addition reason to get quad core (although an i5 quad core would be better). Would hate having to re-install new computer, not that it's any hard to do by myself:

Steve:
- If you bought a computer in 2013 that is equipped with 2013 technology and you are having problems something is not right.  Almost any laptop (not all) built in 2013 should be capable of running Logos adequately.  I have  a lower end HP laptop with integrated graphics and 4GB RAM with a standard 5400 RPM hard drive and Logos works just fine. $500.

What do You think about the older quad core in the ad?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 1455
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 8:34 AM

Unix:

Here is a list of CPU's starting from high end to lower. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ 

Find which one is the most suitable to you and your $$$. I always check performance before buying anything

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 1455
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 8:37 AM

here is for laptops:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 100
N/A | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 8:58 AM

Thanks, Wild Eagle.

Unix:
EDIT2: And no it is not as simple as just to look at the price, for example there a 449 laptop over with 1.3GHz Core 2 Duo. For the same price on a somewhat nearby island to which You go by ferry to take a vacation there's a used laptop like this one for sale, notice quad core and 1600x900 pixel monitor: http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?e=1670057 - what do You think of it, btw? The CPU in it is approximately like this one: http://processors.findthebest.co.uk/l/1072/AMD-A6-3600. How do You think it would compare to: http://www.blocket.se/uppsala/Samsung_i_toppskick___AMD_Quad__8GB_RAM__1TB_53572397.htm?ca=11&w=2 which is in the same price range? Do You think these CPU:s are better than Intel i5 450M which is a dual core from 2010?: http://processors.findthebest.co.uk/l/35/Intel-i5-450M.
"For the same price on a somewhat nearby island to which You go by ferry to take a vacation there's a used laptop like this one for sale, notice quad core"

... I looked that up that one, the Samsung 355E7C-S03SE in the www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?e=1670057 link, it's dual core. 2 logical cores per physical. Sorry.

L2 Catholic new; Used: ODCC L5 Reformed Silver L6 Full Crossgrade; L6 Chinese Bronze new; L6 Ancient Literature Feature Expansion Collection (25 vols.) new, no dynamic pricing. Before packs had 100 books incl. AYBRL new

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 1:03 PM

Unix:

Thanks Steve! Probably You didn't read my latest reply in the "General" subforum.

You're welcome.  No, I'm sorry I did not see that other post.  I can't really comment on used computers or those that are custom assemblies.  I'm sure there are many fine used and custom built laptops.  I just know about them. 

Unix:

Again, just a general comment here ... I'm inclined to choose the Intel processors over the AMD ones.  It's what I have in my desktop and my laptop. There is nothing wrong with the AMD processors and there is certainly some cost advantages.  I just prefer the Intel processor.  There are so many variations of same models that you need to be a little careful.  The ad doesn't really say specifically what the AMD quad-core model is.  Thanks to the other poster I was able to track it down.

In this case, according to Notebook Check the AMD quad-core (A8-4500M) is in position #298 where the Intel i5 is at position #160.  Reading across you can see that the Intel processor has better benchmark scores.  Even though it has only 2 cores it can process 4 threads.  In this case the AMD quad-core does not give you anything better in processing power.  What you get with the AMD is a less expensive processor with a quad-core moniker.

My personal preference would be the Intel processor.  You may feel differently,

Hope that helps.

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS