Copy verse while in Microsoft Word

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 89
JF | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:17 AM

In Logos 5 it was called smart tags.  But it no longer works in word now after loading Logos 6.

What I want to be able do is :  type Matthew 5:3-8 in Microsoft Word – highlight it and it copy the complete verses over from LOGOS 6 into word.

This could be done before by highlighting   Matthew 5:3-8 then right click - additional action - copy verse.

How can I do this under Logos 6 without leaving word - going into Logos 6 - looking up the verse - copy verse - then back to word?

Posts 4558
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:24 AM

Are you running Win 7 or Win 8

If it is Win 7 you should be able to get smart tags working. The L6 installation breaks Smart Tags in word but it can be repaired. I did so through all of the Betas that were released.

Try running these two commands in Windows

"%LOCALAPPDATA%\Logos5\System\Logos.exe" /register

regsvr32 "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Logos5\System\L4SmrtTg.dll"

Copy and paste just as they appear.

If you are running win 8 I do not know if they will work.

Posts 89
JF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:49 AM

I am running Windows 8.  Should the Logos5 be Logos4 in your commands?

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 11:01 AM

The Logos4 or Logos5 directory IS dependant on where you're install is.  If you upgraded from L4>L5>L6 it will probably be Logos 4.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 4558
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 11:02 AM

JF:

I am running Windows 8.  Should the Logos5 be Logos4 in your commands?

Like I said I have never tried this in Win 8. Logos5 is correct.

You may also want to review this page. https://wiki.logos.com/Smart_Tags#Smart_Tags_for_64-bit_Office

I would try running the two commands in my post above and see if that works. Like I said it has worked for me through the entire beta cycle.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 11:29 AM

JF:
In Logos 5 it was called smart tags.  But it no longer works in word now after loading Logos 6.

If you have a 64 bit OS, Logos will download the 64 bit version of Logos.

I believe that the 64bit version of Logos is not compatible with MS Word SmartTags. At least I've not been able to get it to work. 

You can use the Copy Bible Verse (CBV) feature of Logos by pressing CTRL-ALT-B (when Logos is running). This will invoke the CBV. Then you can choose to copy to the clipboard or paste directly into your Word doc at the spot your cursor was. This does require more steps, but for now, I think it's the only option for those with a 64 bit version of Logos.

I would love to be proved wrong on this. So please, if you can make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about, chime in.

EDIT: Once in the CBV, CTRL-G will highlight the input box (or whatever it's called), where you can type in your passage. You don't need to "look it up first" or copy/paste from an open Bible. You should also choose the CBV format you prefer (Logos will remember it for the next time you use it).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 4558
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 11:43 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
I believe that the 64bit version of Logos is not compatible with MS Word SmartTags.

Smart Tags will work with 64 bit logos. I have been running 64 bit since L6 Beta 1 and 32 bit office. They have to be repaired each time there is a program update (not a resource update). Using the two commands I entered above has worked every time. 

Posts 89
JF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 11:55 AM

It work for me under Logos 5 and stop working when I loaded Logos 6.

Posts 7921
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:18 PM

Please see "Smart Tags and 64-bit Logos" at https://wiki.logos.com/Smart_Tags#Smart_Tags_and_64-bit_Logos 

Posts 4558
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:19 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Please see "Smart Tags and 64-bit Logos" at https://wiki.logos.com/Smart_Tags#Smart_Tags_and_64-bit_Logos 

I provided that link above.

Posts 89
JF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:24 PM

Thanks Fredc:

Yes I am running 64 bit also.

I ran the two commands you provided.  I changed to Logos 5 to Logo4 after looking in my directory and verifying that Logos 4 is true for my case.

Then I rebooted.Opened up Logos6 and Microsoft Word.  Type a verse in word - Highlighted it- Right Click - Additional Actions - Selected Copy Verse.  

Works like it did in Logos 5.

Thanks again !!!!

Posts 4558
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:30 PM

JF:

Thanks Fredc:

Yes I am running 64 bit also.

I ran the two commands you provided.  I changed to Logos 5 to Logo4 after looking in my directory and verifying that Logos 4 is true for my case.

Then I rebooted.Opened up Logos6 and Microsoft Word.  Type a verse in word - Highlighted it- Right Click - Additional Actions - Selected Copy Verse.  

Works like it did in Logos 5.

Thanks again !!!!

Good deal. I have those two commands pasted into a document I keep on my computer. Anytime there is program update use that document to retrieve the commands 

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 1:31 PM

Fredc:

Richard DeRuiter:
I believe that the 64bit version of Logos is not compatible with MS Word SmartTags.

Smart Tags will work with 64 bit logos. I have been running 64 bit since L6 Beta 1 and 32 bit office. They have to be repaired each time there is a program update (not a resource update). Using the two commands I entered above has worked every time. 

Am I glad to be wrong! (I won't pretend to always be glad to be wrong, but when it comes to stuff like this, it's great.)

Your commands above would be different for some of us, as for me Logos 6 is under the Logos4 directory. But that's easy enough to change. I'll copy & keep it in a Logos note file for future reference.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 1:57 PM

Fredc:
They have to be repaired each time there is a program update

Okay, so 10 minutes after I got it to work SR1 was released and smart tags were gone again.

The good news is that your commands worked and restored smart tags.

The bad news: I hope I don't have to do this every time! Logos, can you fix this behavior?

In the meantime, maybe a batch file would make this even easier. It's been a while since I wrote any batch files, but I think it's as easy as writing a text file in notepad, including the commands on two lines, and changing the extension from txt to bat. Right?

EDIT: I just created a batch file that seems to work. NOTE: please edit (in Notepad) to include your path to Logos. For me it's Logos4; for others it may be Logos or Logos5. You will also need to rename it by deleting the .txt at the end (I couldn't upload a bat file - probably a good thing). Put the file somewhere you'll remember, then next time you need to, right-click and choose "Open" (in Win7), or "Run" (if applicable).

2337.SmartTag Fix.bat.txt

Posts 4558
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 3:57 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Fredc:
They have to be repaired each time there is a program update

Okay, so 10 minutes after I got it to work SR1 was released and smart tags were gone again.

The good news is that your commands worked and restored smart tags.

The bad news: I hope I don't have to do this every time! Logos, can you fix this behavior?

In the meantime, maybe a batch file would make this even easier. It's been a while since I wrote any batch files, but I think it's as easy as writing a text file in notepad, including the commands on two lines, and changing the extension from txt to bat. Right?

EDIT: I just created a batch file that seems to work. NOTE: please edit (in Notepad) to include your path to Logos. For me it's Logos4; for others it may be Logos or Logos5. You will also need to rename it by deleting the .txt at the end (I couldn't upload a bat file - probably a good thing). Put the file somewhere you'll remember, then next time you need to, right-click and choose "Open" (in Win7), or "Run" (if applicable).

2337.SmartTag Fix.bat.txt

Unfortunately every program upgrade will break it again. I asked what was causing it during the beta but never got a response. Smart Tags is an unsupported feature.

Thanks for the batch file

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 6:48 AM

I've added these specific instructions to the wiki for new L6 installs (for ease).

https://wiki.logos.com/Smart_Tags 

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 7921
LogosEmployee

Richard DeRuiter:

Logos, can you fix this behavior?

There is a case in our bugtracker for fixing this problem; I'm not sure when the fix will be ready, sorry.

Posts 2053
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:01 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
In the meantime, maybe a batch file would make this even easier.

Here's a minor improvement to your batch file that will try to hunt for the directory. I hate batch and don't remember much of it but it's quick.

7484.LBSSmrtTgFix.bat.txt

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:08 AM

Randy W. Sims:
Here's a minor improvement to your batch file that will try to hunt for the directory. I hate batch and don't remember much of it but it's quick

You da man!

Posts 4558
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 10:41 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Randy W. Sims:
Here's a minor improvement to your batch file that will try to hunt for the directory. I hate batch and don't remember much of it but it's quick

You da man!

Randy is da man. He is the one I got those two commands from to begin with.

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS