This post has 68 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 4:23 AM

Deleted by user

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 34
Gary Byrd | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 6:43 AM

This is a good question that deserves an honest response ...

Short Answer: I would purchase again simply because I knew upfront that it was alpha so I was not expecting much in the short term but knew that in the long term I would end up saving money.

Longer Answer: If I needed good, reliable software for my Mac today, then no, I would not purchase Logos 4 for Mac today. I realize that I can run a Fusion/Win combo to get the Windows version running, but If one does not already have Fusion they will be looking at another $50 - $70 plus the cost of purchasing a legal Windows CD. 

It just adds up to to much money, time, effort, & frustration for an application "stop gap" measure.

Since my needs were not necessarily "right now" "gotta have it today" ... I went ahead and made the investment in L4 for Mac hoping that in a year or so I will have a phenomenal Bible application.

In the meantime, I also invested in Accordance, which despite what you may read on these forums, is a good application.

But to be quite honest ... I still find myself going back to MacSword version 2. You can download a ton of resources that integrate very nicely with it for free. For basic Bible study neither Accordance nor L4 can touch it.

Summary: Logos 4 for Mac is definitely worth the $ providing that you are willing to wait a little while before a good stable beta is released. When the product goes GM then the price will likely increase so now is the time to get it if you plan on getting it.

But if your less concerned about the $ and more concerned about the time ... then I'd say wait.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 7:11 AM

Gary Byrd:
Since my needs were not necessarily "right now" "gotta have it today" ... I went ahead and made the investment in L4 for Mac hoping that in a year or so I will have a phenomenal Bible application.

I am a PC user 90%+ of the time. I have always used Logos on a PC. I purchased the first Logos for Mac CD but never attempted to install it. Normally I love to tinker for tinkering's sake alone but I already knew I am more interested in actually running Logos than tinkering with it. With all the initial reports on the Mac version's limitations and difficulties it was easy to just shelve the CD and say, "Next year."

The young seminary graduate I purchased it from was switching back to the Windows version even though he did everything else on his Mac. That is kind of the way I view it. For the time being I would suffer being a dual machine geek. Geeked

Purchase again? I only gave $25 for it so I'd probably get it for memorabilia. On a slow month I may even try to install it.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 10:05 AM

Yes :)

Initially delayed Logos 4 upgrade purchase; discussed bible and language learning goals with wife.  We looked at upgrades, knowing many resources usable in Logos for Mac 1.2.2 while Logos 4 for Mac improved; peacefully chose Silver for spouse and Platinum for me (included "Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of Historical Research").

Participating in Alpha testing has been fun and worthwhile - learned more about Logos 4 and Mac OS X - Thankful for opportunity.  Tom Philpot's comment "This was an awesome crash report. Do you want to come do Mac tech support for us? :)" has me praying and pondering future career move to Logos - professional computer geek, who remembers using yellow paper tape in high school to store BASIC programs. When looking for Alpha resource issues, thought about potential win-win: complementary Portfolio upgrade (or all downloadable resources - verify download manager could handle new installation volume and identify any more resources like LXX).

Sigh: wish upgrade discounts from Scholar's Gold were bit better: wife had 25 % discount for Silver upgrade while Platinum had 15 % discount (e.g. hindsight wish - 15% Gold, 20% Platinum, 25% Portfolio).  Noticed my $ 425.04 upgrade being $122.59 more than $ 232.50 difference between Platinum and Gold for discounted new Logos 4 Base package purchases plus $ 69.95 minimal Logos 4 cross grade.  Goofy observation: Scholar's Library (RA) plus Gold Edition (ND) upgrade plus Platinum (LE) upgrade totals $ 305 more than purchasing new Platinum (LE) with 25 % discount ;)  By the way, Triune God provided many blessings and priceless experience last year - have no desire for refund nor regrets purchasing Logos 4 upgrades -  also Thankful for some Logos Gold resources and pastoral insights.

Agree with Logos customer service: best package deal is initial purchase - often in December/January with 25 % discount or education discounts.

Part of Alpha testing motivation is knowing many Logos users engaged in ministry activities to share God's Word with the world.

Keep Smiling :)

Posts 18
Christopher Guest | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 11:41 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
...best package deal is initial purchase - often in December/January with 25 % discount or education discounts. 

It looks as though my best option is to wait until this time next year, with the expectation that I will then be able to buy a 'finalised' product with the same discount.

My Mac can go all the way to OS XI

www.bournvillechurch.co.uk

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 1:30 PM

Waiting to purchase is an option - learned many years ago learned a bargain is not a bargain if cannot use it.

For example, looked at Portfolio bundle, but did not enough resources I would use in near future to justify complete bundle.  Dreaming: portfolio sub-collection library bundles: Bible History, Original Language, ...

Caveat: past discount history may not reflect future offers.  For example, past 3 years had Christmas base package upgrade specials (up to 25 %) with Library Builder collection volumes 1-3 in 2006 and volumes 4-6 in 2007.  This year has Christmas specials through January - previously specials ended in December.  Also do not know about return of March Madness or Pastor Appreciation.

With Logos 4 upgrade, can use Logos 3 and 4 on Windows virtual machines and Windows laptop along with Logos for Mac 1.2.2 while anticipating Logos 4 improvements.  Also noticed blog entry about Logos 4 iPhone App 1.2.2 now offering offline reading - wondering about Apple's upcoming media event later this month - perhaps Logos has reason(s) to extend special pricing through January 31.

Keep Smiling :)

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 1:35 PM

After it was all said and done, I only saved $78 upgrading from Leaders 3 to Gold 4. (over the discount for a new user)

Granted, I probably went about it the hard way, upgrading from L3 Leaders to L4 Leaders then a few weeks later to L4 Gold.  I had $722 on my 'official' history purchases from Logos directly and did expect a bit of a greater discount, but I'm not terribly upset about the upgrade.

If I had to do it over I'd think a little harder about spending the $956.65 on more specific resources that I know I would want and use (ex. more counseling resources).  However, even after thinking about going that route, I more than likely would have still upgraded to Gold just because of the great volume of overall resources included in it...

While my wife isn't exactly thrilled about my purchases... Indifferent ... I am overall satisfied. (I do 'have' to sell my boat now Sad )

Posts 97
Tom Gindrup | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 2:08 PM

Yes I would!!!  Without a second of hesitation.

I've been using Logos for Windows for MANY years now - got the Mac version when it first came out and always felt like it was lacking.  Now that it shares a code-base with the Windows version - and I see what an awesome package the Windows version is - I'm excited about using it on the Mac as well.

Posts 5
Fr. JM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 2:19 PM

I have no regrets. I went to L4 with an upgrade from scholar to silver. I still use 1.2.2 for all of my real work, but 1.2.2 got all the additional silver resources (cool, huh?). I'm happy to wait for the final version, and feel that buying now helps to support the development of the mac product. For all the trash talk about v1, I found it acceptable for most use. It certainly wasn't as full-featured as L3 for PC, but it did what I needed. 

I pray that Bob and the whole Logos for Mac team is blessed in this endeavor, and that their labors yield a harvest of 100 fold, as pastors, teachers, and preachers use this product to feed Christ's flock entrusted to them.

Posts 9
Ben Davenport | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 4:28 PM

I'd wait to buy it and do more research into what exactly I need.  I ended up with Platinum--and I see it as an investment (I'll be going to Seminary in a year or two), but I haven't really used it much yet.

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 5:22 PM

I would absolutely buy it again. I did the research before hand and was aware that the Mac version was still in Beta. I downloaded the free engine for Mac and was tracking the progress with the development. I paid for the upgrade to the Platinum version because I saw it as a great value and wanted to get it while I could still get the discount. This also allowed me to get all the updated books and the windows version so i could start to learn all the functionality without have to wait until the Mac version is complete. I am very pleased with Logos 4 and am willing to go through the Alpha and Beta testing if the final version is on line with the windows version.

Posts 57
Bryan Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 8:04 AM

The worst time to jump out of an investment is when it's down. The you do lose! By staying in you have lost nothing and only have the opportunity to gain. When your 401K dropped, you didn't get out. When the stock market went south you didn't run. Would I do it again? Yes! IMO there's nothing on the market that compares to Logos so I'm in it for the long run, which is longer than I wanted but I'm in the race and I want to finish well so that when I cross the finish line I hear "Well done my good and... opps wrong race.

Posts 10524
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 11:56 AM

Bryan Smith:
I'm in it for the long run, which is longer than I wanted but I'm in the race and I want to finish well so that when I cross the finish line I hear "Well done my good and... opps wrong race.
Geeked

Posts 456
Pastor Roger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:36 PM

MarCia Mooney:
Also, I don’t see well and that is why the large font!

Oh, thanks for the explanation of the large red flaming font with several words capitalized and lots of exclamation marks.  I thought you were yelling.

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 19
Robert Gibbs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 7:43 PM

Yup.  I did my homework, compared it to Accordance, talked to some people who already had Logos, and decided I wanted to get it.  I read everything that said the Mac version was in Alpha testing.  After watching the chatter about the first couple of Alpha versions, I decided that having something usable was better than waiting six months, and went for it.  Considering I had no Bible software before, and that I teaching high school Bible and am a seminary student, I'm quite happy even with limited features of the current Alphas.  Tons more resources that I possessed before, and I'm just starting to scratch the surface of what it can do.

One caveat: I "only" purchased the Bible study library, so I've invested significantly less $$ than those who purchased more expensive packages.  I am most likely a little more patient than I would be had invested $1000-2000 already.

Posts 10524
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 3:39 AM

Robert Gibbs:
 I am most likely a little more patient than I would be had invested $1000-2000 already.

I have invested significantly more than this, yet I am very pleased with the progress of L4 Mac thus far. In comparison, it is not really that expensive to do serious Bible study on that other platform while we wait for the Mac version. Since both platforms share the same base code and since Logos synchronizes your work between computers, nothing is lost if you work over there for a few months.

Posts 5
Curtis Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:53 PM

I absolutely will never buy from Logos again. I have only had it for a few days but have quickly learned that they have the worst customer service I have ever experienced and every person I have spoken with has no idea what they are talking about. I can not believe I have wasted my money on this product whether Mac or PC. I paid a lot of money to be treated like trash.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 1:00 PM

Curtis Huffman:

I absolutely will never buy from Logos again. I have only had it for a few days but have quickly learned that they have the worst customer service I have ever experienced and every person I have spoken with has no idea what they are talking about. I can not believe I have wasted my money on this product whether Mac or PC. I paid a lot of money to be treated like trash.

Tell it to the president: bob@logos.com  or the VP: dan@logos.com  I'm sure they will be glad to fix your CS issues.

On the other hand, since you came here, what kinds of problems did you have that you needed customer service to help you with?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 1:16 PM

CS is a little lost when it comes to the Mac side so if your complaints are there then you should give these forums a try. The devs are pretty helpful and the regulars here know a fair amount too. I will also say I had a rough patch with CS over some upgrade pricing and didn't care for where part of the discussion went but to their credit they did not let it go and the whole situation resolved into a positive CS experience. Hopefully you can get to the same place.

Curtis Huffman:

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 1:38 PM

Curtis Huffman:
every person I have spoken with has no idea what they are talking about.
If your questions were regarding the l4mac version, CS is not able to help (which is the case with any CS department with software that is Alpha development).  At any rate, if you have some questions regarding the Mac version, please feel free to ask questions here.  If you are working with the windows version, you are welcome to post questions in the Logos 4 Windows forum.

Blessings

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Page 3 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS