Fundamentalist Base Package and King James Only Resource Collection

Page 3 of 5 (82 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 81 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 27020
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 6:18 PM

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that the fallacy hound was taking sides ... responses keeping him awake came from both sides of the issue.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2
Dr. James White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 7:07 PM

I will respond to this post, and the allegations regarding the LBCF (which I believe to be horrifically errant), on my webcast, the Dividing Line, tomorrow (7/28/15).

James White

Posts 32
KJB1611 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 7:10 PM

Dear Dr. White,

I would be very interested in hearing your response.  Is your program available for free download?  Can I call in to it (if I am not at work and have free time to do so)?  Thanks.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 7:16 PM

Dr. James White:
I will respond to this post, and the allegations regarding the LBCF (which I believe to be horrifically errant), on my webcast, the Dividing Line, tomorrow (7/28/15)

I look forward to hearing your answer.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 7:37 PM

LBCF?

EDIT: also it appears one can call into the program, and it is free from his website.

http://vintage.aomin.org/dividingline.html

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 32
KJB1611 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 7:40 PM

LBCF= London Baptist Confession of Faith.  All historic Baptist confessions assumed the Textus Receptus;  see the historical analysis here:

http://faithsaves.net/baptist-canonicity-textus-receptus/

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 7:41 PM

ahh ok, I AM familiar with that.

I was thinking Long Beach something. But your answer makes more sense.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 8:43 PM

MJ. Smith:

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that the fallacy hound was taking sides ... responses keeping him awake came from both sides of the issue.

Poor puppy Sad I can see that for sure.

-Dan

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 1:44 PM

Dr. James White:
I will respond to this post, and the allegations regarding the LBCF (which I believe to be horrifically errant), on my webcast, the Dividing Line, tomorrow (7/28/15).

Dr. White, I was pleasantly surprised to see your post. I recently discovered the Sermon Audio app on Android and have been listening to you in the car during my commute for the last week or so. It just so happened that I was listening to one of your broadcasts about the KJV on the way to and from church this past Sunday, so I did a double take when you showed up on this thread! Any chance you can get with Faithlife and coordinate a sale on your book tomorrow since you will be responding to a comment on the Logos forums?

https://www.logos.com/product/43390/the-king-james-only-controversy-can-you-trust-modern-translations

To everyone else, sorry to temporarily change the subject, and I hope I am not violating forum guidelines by my request.

Posts 1568
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2015 9:41 AM

Dr. James White:

James White

Welcome to the forums! Great response on the DL.

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 1724
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2015 6:24 PM

John Kight:
Great response on the DL

Which can be viewed here:  https://youtu.be/ZtbFp3Qr9bA 

[Edit]  I would also add that for those unfamiliar with Dr. White's program, this episode would be a good exemplar, as the subjects are at the same time eclectic and related.

No longer actively posting. Please remind T-Bone to take his meds.

Posts 438
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2015 10:23 PM

My thanks to KJB1611 for raising the issue of a fundamentalist base package and a King James Only resource collection. Some of the further suggestions by people as to what might be included are also very helpful. If Faithlife agrees to the proposed collections for development, I would seriously consider investing in them.

Personally, I regard the King James Bible as having a singular authority above and beyond the modern versions and it would be very useful to have more resources around that perspective. The modern versions in my Logos collection are there for comparative purposes, but having works by writers such as Dean John William Burgon would also allow a more informed critique of the reasoning used within some of those versions.

Keep well

Paul      

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2015 8:26 AM

I'm still listening to the youtube video of Dr. White. I've heard of him, heard good things about him, never directly heard him before.

So far I agree with a lot of his conclusions RE the new quaranic fragments, but I am not sure about some (mainly one) of his premises. He says its properly basic that any first semester student of islam should be able to tell which era it was written in based on the (basic textual criticism) arabic (and ink etc). I agree that this work needs doing, but I'm not sure any first semester student will be able to look at the arabic, the ink, the vellum, and so forth and KNOW whether its real or not. I'd argue that the same is true of the average christian with a semester of study on Christianity would be unable to know these things about Greek or Hebrew. I've spent some time studying islam, and I wouldn't be able to answer those questions by looking at the images of the manuscript - further its clear that Dr. White can't (yet) answer those questions either or he'd have given them. So the process is perhaps a bit more complicated.

So far - other than that, its been interesting.

Edit: I liked what he had to say about the TR, and whether he's being true to the LBCF.

I LOVED what he had to say about facebook groups, and how people envoke his name in the process of.

Posts 32
KJB1611 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 3:16 PM

I would like to draw attention to the response to James White's video here:

http://kentbrandenburg.blogspot.com/2015/08/more-james-white-on-version-issue.html

I intend to publish a reply also, Lord willing, although I have not gotten around to it yet.

I would like to debate Mr. White on the topic below.

The Scriptural paradigm of preservation fits the King James Version and its underlying Greek text better than the Greek critical text and modern Bible versions translated from it.

Affirm: Thomas Ross

Deny: James White

or:

The Scriptural paradigm of preservation fits  the Greek critical text and modern Bible versions translated from it better than the King James Version and the Greek Received Text.

Affirm: James White

Deny: Thomas Ross 

In relation to the original topic on this forum, I suspect that James White himself and anti-KJVO people would themselves buy a KJVO collection so that they could better oppose the dangerous heresy of believing in the perfect preservation of Scripture as taught by the London Baptist Confession of Faith.

Posts 27020
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 4:31 PM

Sorry but I don't read beyond the title of an article when the title is a personal attack.

Please take this to Christian Discourse.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 32
KJB1611 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 5:27 PM

Dear M. J. Smith,

Thanks for the comment.  If you don't want to read the response I linked to above because of the title, that is fine.  However, I trust that you will apply the same standard to James White's video, which has not a few personal attacks, misrepresentations, and fallacies in it, and refrain from watching either it or the response to it I linked to above.

Thanks.

Posts 27020
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 5:31 PM

I assure you I maintain the same standards of logic and manners to everything I read without regard to my personal stance on the matter. And until both sides of the KJVO debate recognize that the Western Church is not historical the major church of the world, I'll not bother to read either side.

BTW I taught my kids that "he did it first" or "but everyone does it" was reason to sic the logic hound on them.

Posts 32
KJB1611 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 7:05 PM

Dear M. J. Smith,

You might be interested in the popular level work "The Trail of Blood" and John Christian's scholarly 2 volume history of true churches at:

http://faithsaves.net/catholic/

for a study of where Christ's true churches have been from the 1st century until the present.

Also, if by "Western Church" you mean Roman Catholicism, you might be interested to find out that the Textus Receptus of the KJV is essentially the text copied by Eastern scribes rather than a product of Roman Catholic Latin scribes. 

Thanks.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 8:21 PM

I am not sure "trail of blood" is properly academic.

Fallacy hound may like it however (that is if he likes being called upon).

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 8:22 PM

I thought this thread was about requesting a Fundamentalist Base Package and King James Only Resource Collection.........

I would buy it.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 3 of 5 (82 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS