Logos 7 is here!

Page 3 of 6 (101 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 100 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 1:57 AM

Gao Lu:

Maybe I missed it, but is the concordance tool in L7?

Yes. Go to "Tools","Reference" and then you should see concordance.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 4870
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 2:00 AM

Mark Barnes:

mike:
Maybe I had high hopes for L7, but I feel L7 is not so much of an upgrade. I feel its just another day of LN release.

Logos 7 was always going to be an anti-climax for Logos Now subscribers, as we've been using most of the features already. If you're coming to Logos 7 without being a subscriber, then the upgrade is at least as big as it was from L5 to L6. As for us, according to Phil, we get the following, which is significantly more than 'another LN release'.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

If you've been a Logos Now member and are looking for just what's new in this release, here's that list:

New

1. Sermon Editor: a new tool for building your sermon manuscript, outline, handout, and slides right in Logos.
  2. Courses: a guided learning platform for working through Mobile Ed courses and other structured learning content
  3. Bible Browser (subscription only): a faceted browsing tool for accessing our rich data on the Bible by simply using your mouse instead of learning complicated search syntax
  4. Figurative Language of New Testament: a fresh analysis of the NT's figurative language
  5. Quickstart Layouts: starting points that integrate content and tools around a task or theme
  6. Longacre Genre Analysis: an application of Longacre's genre schema to the Bible
  7. Sentence Types of New Testament: an analysis of all sentences in the NT into declarative, interrogative, and exclamatory
  8. Speech Acts of New Testament: similar to the above, but using speech acts
  9. Hebrew Grammatical Constructions: a database that identifies many key constructions in Hebrew
  10. Exploring Bible Manuscript: an educational interactive guide through biblical manuscripts
  11. An Empty Tomb: a look inside a first-century tomb that sheds light on the setting for Jesus' burial

Improved

1. Text Comparison​​ tool: infinite scroll and a new interlinear view that organizes translations against the underlying Greek or Hebrew text
  2. Media tool: a way to find and create sharable media (combines Visual Copy and Media Browser)
  3. Biblical Event Navigator: new UI
  4. Miracles of the Bible: added bubble visualizations

Yes

Posts 1803
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 2:11 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

It should feel a bit more than just a typical .x release. The last couple have been a bit small because we were working on several new things for Logos 7. But Logos Now members have already been enjoying most of the new Logos 7 features.

In addition to what we've already released, here's what's new in Logos 7.0:

New

1. Sermon Editor: a new tool for building your sermon manuscript, outline, handout, and slides right in Logos.
  2. Courses: a guided learning platform for working through Mobile Ed courses and other structured learning content
  3. Bible Browser (subscription only): a faceted browsing tool for accessing our rich data on the Bible by simply using your mouse instead of learning complicated search syntax
  4. Figurative Language of New Testament: a fresh analysis of the NT's figurative language
  5. Quickstart Layouts: starting points that integrate content and tools around a task or theme
  6. Longacre Genre Analysis: an application of Longacre's genre schema to the Bible
  7. Sentence Types of New Testament: an analysis of all sentences in the NT into declarative, interrogative, and exclamatory
  8. Speech Acts of New Testament: similar to the above, but using speech acts
  9. Hebrew Grammatical Constructions: a database that identifies many key constructions in Hebrew
  10. Exploring Bible Manuscript: an educational interactive guide through biblical manuscripts
  11. An Empty Tomb: a look inside a first-century tomb that sheds light on the setting for Jesus' burial

Improved

1. Text Comparison​​ tool: infinite scroll and a new interlinear view that organizes translations against the underlying Greek or Hebrew text
  2. Media tool: a way to find and create sharable media (combines Visual Copy and Media Browser)
  3. Biblical Event Navigator: new UI
  4. Miracles of the Bible: added bubble visualizations

In addition, there's more to come in Logos 7.1–7.4.

I should have also included these:

Interlinears

1. Lexham Dead Sea Scrolls Hebrew-English Interlinear Bible
  2. Lexham Latin-English Interlinear Vulgate Bible
  3. The Latin-Greek Reverse Interlinear Vulgate Deuterocanonical Old Testament
  4. The Latin-Greek Reverse Interlinear Vulgate New Testament
  5. The Latin-Greek Reverse Interlinear Vulgate: Deuterocanonical Old Testament, Variant Alignments
  6. The Latin-Hebrew Reverse Interlinear Vulgate Old Testament
  7. The English-Greek Reverse Interlinear Deuterocanonical Old Testament Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition

Media Collections

1. Faithlife Animations (subscription only)
  2. deSilva Teaching Materials, vol. 2 (subscription only)
  3. Mars Hill Media Collection (subscription only)
  4. Lexham Bible Dictionary Videos (subscription only)
Posts 13307
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 2:20 AM

Gao Lu:

Maybe I missed it, but is the concordance tool in L7?

Yes, it's listed in the main post. The shorter list above only includes things that haven't previously been available through Logos Now.

Posts 1081
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 2:36 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Sean:

The lack of any aesthetic improvements is a bit of a disappointment.

With our six-week release cycle, there was no easy way to get an UI updates into 7.0 without leaking them early in 6.14. We may make some UI improvements in 7.1–7.4. We also wanted to focus more on features over aesthetics for 7.0.

But I totally agree that it's nice for a new version to feel new.

That's understandable, and you have added some commendable new features with 7.

Candidly, you guys need to re-evaluate your corporate compulsion to be so secret-secret all the time. IMO, it compels you to make decisions that aren't necessarily for the best, such as this one. There's nothing new visually to attract new or infrequent buyers. As you weren't too successful at it keeping it secret this time, I can't see that decision as a net gain for you.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 13307
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 3:21 AM

Sean:
Candidly, you guys need to re-evaluate your corporate compulsion to be so secret-secret all the time. IMO, it compels you to make decisions that aren't necessarily for the best, such as this one. There's nothing new visually to attract new or infrequent buyers. As you weren't too successful at it keeping it secret this time, I can't see that decision as a net gain for you.

The reason they weren't 'successful' at keeping it secret is because they themselves dropped plenty of hints.

It seems to me that the strategy this time is to encourage people to move to Logos Now in order to get L7 (hence the recent Logos Now revamp). For people who haven't yet signed up, L7 represents a significant step up.

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 3:53 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Larry Heflin:
I have Logos Now, so I'm pretty sure not everyone will be seeing this same activity.

Correct; Logos Now (and Verbum Now) members get early access to Logos 7 as a benefit of their subscription.

:-)

Posts 1081
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 4:54 AM

Am I the only one keeping logos.com open in a tab & hitting F5 every once in a while?

I really liked the base packages available for 6; I'm hoping for something similar in 7. What I really what is a package with the AYBD that dynamic pricing ends up giving me at a killer rate. It's all I want out of 7. Or for Christmas, for that matter.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 957
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 5:26 AM

Sean:

Am I the only one keeping logos.com open in a tab & hitting F5 every once in a while?

YesCoolBig Smile

Posts 2671
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 5:29 AM

I'm a Logos Now customer but I'm still on 6.14 with no new updates available. Is this a staggered release

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 5:34 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I'm a Logos Now customer but I'm still on 6.14 with no new updates available. Is this a staggered release

Just checking: Are you set to the default update channel? If you're set to beta, you need to switch it back. That caught me out this morning.

Posts 7943
LogosEmployee

Sean:
Candidly, you guys need to re-evaluate your corporate compulsion to be so secret-secret all the time. IMO, it compels you to make decisions that aren't necessarily for the best, such as this one.

I think these are unrelated. We kept the Logos 6 launch secret (or at least tried to Smile) and it had a visual refresh. We could have done the same for Logos 7 but chose to prioritise other enhancements (for a variety of reasons).

Posts 244
LogosEmployee
Ryan Gano (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 6:23 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

If you're on 6.14 it means you're on the beta channel and won't auto update to 7.0 because it was only published directly to the stable channel.

To get the update run the command "set update channel to default" in your command bar.

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 6:23 AM

Maybe I need to wait for the main site to come up. Seems like several have gotten Logos 7 already. Who gets the upgraded version? Is it free for prior owners or is there a fee? How do we get it to update? I had a fairly large download (155MB) this morning, did not know about 7, but I do not see a change to my version 6.

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 6:28 AM

SHotchkiss:
Who gets the upgraded version? Is it free for prior owners or is there a fee?

It is being made available to Logos Now subscribers. Non-subscribers will be able to purchase it when the main website comes back up

SHotchkiss:
How do we get it to update?

If a Logos Now subscriber ensure you are on the stable channel - only applies if you have been involved in beta testing

SHotchkiss:
but I do not see a change to my version 6.

Visually it is very similar - to check what version you are running click the "?" at the top right of the screen and select "About Logos Bible Software"

Posts 957
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 6:30 AM

SHotchkiss:

Maybe I need to wait for the main site to come up. Seems like several have gotten Logos 7 already. Who gets the upgraded version? Is it free for prior owners or is there a fee? How do we get it to update? I had a fairly large download (155MB) this morning, did not know about 7, but I do not see a change to my version 6.

Logos Now subscribers got Logos 7 right away. Everyone else, I guess, will have to wait till the site is up to see what's available.

(Edit: Or what Graham said two minutes before me Stick out tongue)

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 6:31 AM

SHotchkiss:
Is it free for prior owners or is there a fee? How do we get it to update?

Don't know if they are taking customers now but you could call 800-875-6467 and have a sales representative put you on "Logos Now subscription."

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3007
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 6:33 AM

Yasmin Stephen:
Logos Now subscribers got Logos 7 right away.

And Verbum Now members get Verbum 7 right away, too. Big Smile

Posts 369
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 6:56 AM

My download just started.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 2671
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 6:57 AM

Ryan Gano:

Kevin A. Purcell:

If you're on 6.14 it means you're on the beta channel and won't auto update to 7.0 because it was only published directly to the stable channel.

To get the update run the command "set update channel to default" in your command bar.

OK. That's a strange way of handling it, but I'll do that when I get back home.

Page 3 of 6 (101 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS