NASB in Paragraph Format

Page 5 of 12 (230 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
This post has 229 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 639
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 2 2017 5:19 AM | Locked

Kyle G. Anderson:

We're looking into improvements to the visual filter.

This wasn't a change that came out of nowhere. NASB95 has been a tricky Bible for years.

When it was in a one verse/one line format it bothered the people who preferred the paragraph formatting. As an aid for those who preferred the one verse/one line it was formatted with bold verse indicators and/or first words of a new line to indicate paragraphs. This also received numerous complaints and typo reports.

As a compromise we converted it to the paragraph styling. Those who preferred paragraphs now could read with paragraphs and those who preferred one verse/one line could use the visual filter. To us, this seemed an agreeable mediating position.

It appears this exposed some weaknesses with the visual filter that we're addressing.

Since you're so keen on catering to the paragraph format people, why don't you so a separate resource for them and leave the NASB95 as it was for the rest of us.  Did you expect that those of us who prefer the verse format as it has been for years would constantly make comments about how much we liked it, and that our silence meant we didn't care???  Then as usual Logos makes changes and doesn't properly test them as usual.  Makes you wonder about the competency of those behind this.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 639
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 2 2017 5:38 AM | Locked

Elijahpower:

I received the latest update of NASB95 today and it is in the paragraph format.  I happen to prefer the verse form, but it will not go back to it.  When I click on verse option it stays paragraph.  It would be nice to have both formats work.  Thank you.

You can get back to a semblance of the original if you're prepared to spend enough time experimenting and to jump through enough hoops.  Under the visual filters, click 'Bible Text Only', and under that, click on 'Bible text formatting', 'Chapter/Verse numbers', 'Non-Bible text' and 'One verse per line'.  That will get a lot of it back.  Of course you won't get the chapter titles, there are no paragraph markers, and if you've highlighted any verse numbers you'll find they're all messed up too.  Oh yeah, and you'll probably have to do the NT and the OT separately.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 5
Tony Baldarelli | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 2 2017 7:39 AM | Locked

Thanks, Graham, that helped some.

That said, I agree with others in this list.  It does not look at all like the original NASB95 at all.  What really should have been done is to keep the original formatting, and add a "paragraph" formatting, or add another resource.  Don't know about anyone else, but I like the print Bible formatting exactly as it is.

Also, have NASB print Bibles changed to paragraph formatting?  I just checked iBook, biblegateway, and a few others, and they all have paragraph format, so I suppose it is possible the print version has changed as well.  Was just curious, as I have not had to look for a new print Bible in a long time.

Posts 19569
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 2 2017 8:40 AM | Locked

Alex Scott:
Oh yeah, and you'll probably have to do the NT and the OT separately.

No - as it is a single resource the visual filter settings apply throughout it

Posts 19569
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 2 2017 8:41 AM | Locked

Tony Baldarelli:

Thanks, Graham, that helped some.

That said, I agree with others in this list.  It does not look at all like the original NASB95 at all.

Totally understand.

I wasn't suggesting this would restore things to how  they were, just indicating how to get one verse per line.

Apologies for any confusion.

Posts 136
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 2 2017 11:32 AM | Locked

Tony Baldarelli:

Also, have NASB print Bibles changed to paragraph formatting?  

Hi Tony - No they have not.  Both are available.  The Lockman Foundation representative I spoke
with a couple of days ago said they produce and sell both verse and paragraph
formats and they have provided both formats to Faithlife.  (Incidentally, he said he also
prefers verse format.)

Tony Baldarelli:

I just checked iBook, biblegateway, and a few others, and they all have paragraph format.......

My WORDsearch program has verse format as its default view with an option to switch to “paragraph mode”.  Its mobile app is in verse format.   My Olive Tree App provides the option of viewing in verse or paragraph format.  My print Bible is verse formatted.

Posts 8591
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 2 2017 4:08 PM | Locked

Kyle G. Anderson:
Kyle G. Anderson:
It appears this exposed some weaknesses with the visual filter that we're addressing.

Glad to hear it.  

I do prefer the paragraph format for reading and the verse by verse for studying.  I believe once you've cleared up the visual filter the problem will be resolved, at least for me.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2718
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 2 2017 7:40 PM | Locked

Well I'm loving it- sorry it has not met expectations for most of you, but whatever they do- hope there is no reversal back to line formatting.

This is perfect for reading or study- MHO.

Posts 274
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 2 2017 8:12 PM | Locked

Whyndell Grizzard:

Well I'm loving it- sorry it has not met expectations for most of you, but whatever they do- hope there is no reversal back to line formatting.

This is perfect for reading or study- MHO.

I'm loving it too. I actually use this bible a lot more now.

Posts 19
Mike Henry Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 4:53 AM | Locked

Since it seems FL is counting, I prefer the verse format. I hope we can get a full version in that format soon. I just tried the Visual Filters and it is disappointing. Can you please put the version back to the original?

Posts 639
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 5:16 AM | Locked

Mike Henry Sr.:

Since it seems FL is counting, I prefer the verse format. I hope we can get a full version in that format soon. I just tried the Visual Filters and it is disappointing. Can you please put the version back to the original?

Me too.  But good luck with that.  The only important people it seems are the ones that want the paragraph format.  Meanwhile, when you try to read the NT, almost every verse is separated from the next by a huge space even breaking up sentences.  The way the NASB95 is now is an absolute disgrace for Logos and Faithlife.

Posts 315
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 6:05 AM | Locked

My brothers and sisters.  I am assuming that is true- that you all are in Christ.  I am going to be painfully honest here with you all.  Reading most of your comments has left me the impression of the children of Israel wandering in the wilderness complaining about the manna, or the quail.  Honestly some of you sound like spoiled brats!  I understand being frustrated with an unpopular change in your product- but going so far to say (or type) the things you all have said is akin to "I'm taking my marbles and going home" type of mentality.  I am sorry to say, it is silly.  Are you grown?  I, as a brother, am calling you to check your attitude here and examine whether it is Christ like.  If you find, as I hope you will, that it is in error, I pray your repentance on this.  FL has said they are working on the visual filter so you can have it either way- paragraph or verse by verse.  Give them a chance to do that and stop whining already, I hear it from my kids enough already.

I have said my peace.

Posts 315
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 6:11 AM | Locked

Alex Scott:

Wonderful!!!  Was it really necessary to screw the rest of us so that a few can be satisfied????    

I am so fed up with this program I wish I'd never bought into it years ago!!!

Worldly and Childish language...

Examine yourself, this is not the speech or attitude of a Christ follower.  I call you to repent of this.

Posts 2718
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 6:21 AM | Locked

Not sure what is going on with the system of others but mine is working flawlessly. Is there something I prefer, yes change the color of the verse numbers and note indicators( whether number or letter) to contrasting colors if possible- or better give user control over it.

Other than that- my version is perfect. For those who prefer verse format- FL should offer them that choice, I see no reason not to.

Posts 1
Don Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 8:32 AM | Locked

I have read and studied the NASB since 1977 and it has always been verse displayed and that is the way I prefer it. I even stay away from the ESV because of the paragraph display. Come on Logos the round wheel rolls far better than a square one. Why change? Or at least give me a good option to stay with the format that I purchased. I love the Logos Bible but don't be like Apple but design for your customers not for yourself.

Posts 8591
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 8:50 AM | Locked

Don Walker:
Come on Logos the round wheel rolls far better than a square one.
I thought it was square.

Don Walker:
Why change?
People asked for it, and versification is already built into the visual filters, which Faithlife has already said they are working on fixing so that it does display as expected for the NASB.  

It's coming. It is promised.  It will be ok.

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 1444
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 8:55 AM | Locked

Kyle G. Anderson:

In the US it is now summer (AKA "road construction" season). Just as road improvements slow you down for a little bit on the road you have driven since 1977, which was improved to 4 lanes in 1995. This is a SEASON of transition. Nobody has forced you to paragraph or permanently abandoned you to verse-by-verse. When the construction is complete, you will have an improved commute giving you the option of either lane.

Posts 8591
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 8:58 AM | Locked

David Thomas:
When the construction is complete, you will have an improved commute giving you the option of either lane.

As a central Illinoisan who can divide the year between pothole season and construction season ...  just yes.  That is all.

Check the Wiki

Posts 736
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 9:20 AM | Locked

TCBlack:
Don Walker:
Come on Logos the round wheel rolls far better than a square one.
I thought it was square.

Nope .. it's definitely round.

Wink

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 136
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 4 2017 11:41 PM | Locked

Kyle G. Anderson:

Faithlife,

As you are making adjustments to the visual filter, please don’t overlook the related issue the change to default paragraph format caused for the Copy Bible Verses tool. 

All the styles that say “Fully Formatted” are now in paragraph format.  Prior to this change, all the styles that said “Fully Formatted” where in verse format, but these styles have been removed.  Please restore all “Fully Formatted” styles in verse format to the existing set so customers may have a choice of using the publisher’s verse or paragraph formatted style.

I am aware there is a “One Verse Per Line” style and “Observation Worksheet” style but neither of these use the publisher’s original verse formatting. 

I have routinely used Copy Bible Verses to copy NASB chapters to MS Word and then print them out in the same verse format as my print Bible using customized font and margins for easier reading.  I would very much like to have this capability back.

Page 5 of 12 (230 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS